Reload this Page >

Season 5 of the Shield - how was it?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-22-06, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***PLEASE KEEP SPOILER FREE*** Thanks

I know the season just wrapped up, but I did not see any of it. I am one of those annoying people who just wait for the Dvd release. To me, this is THE show on TV (apologies to the Sopranos). I have been so tempted to read the weekly reviews of the shows in this forum, but did not want all the spoilers that come with it.

So what did you think of Vic and company's latest exploits? Did the show maintain its level of excellence? I cannot wait for this to make it to Dvd.
Old 03-22-06, 09:30 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Technically, the season isn't over. On NPR yesterday, the creator of the show, Shawn Ryan, said the season is broken up over two sections. The final 10 episodes will come later in the year or perhaps early 2007.

But the first half of the season has been nothing but stellar.
Old 03-22-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have yet to see the season finale yet, but up to this point, it's been awesome.
Old 03-22-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was my favorite season.
Old 03-22-06, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arguably, one of its best seasons.
Old 03-22-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So last night was the end of "Part 1"?

I sure hope so, I only caught the first couple of the new season, then lost track, so I would love to catch up.
Old 03-22-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Best season yet...hands down
Old 03-22-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Best season yet...hands down
I'm debating that, but it's definitely been an incredible season, I would probably rank it 1,5,2,3,4.

You will be blown away. This is the season that Sheild takes the crown back for best drama on TV.
Old 03-22-06, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I would probably rank it 1,5,2,3,4.
Same here.

This is the season that Sheild takes the crown back for best drama on TV.
I definitely can see that happening.
Old 03-22-06, 12:20 PM

Damn, from the sampling of comments so far, this season sounds amazing. I may have to actually watch these when FX inevitably re-runs them instead of just waiting for the Dvd.
Old 03-22-06, 12:27 PM

Keep in mind that The Shield will be aired on Spike Friday's (starting this week). I imagine they will start from the beginning, but am not sure.
Old 03-22-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This season almost put me in a coma. Take that as you will.
Old 03-22-06, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by superfro
This season almost put me in a coma. Take that as you will.
So you were bored with it? Or knocked out by it? Just wondering what way you meant it, if either way.
Old 03-22-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have yet to see the mid-season finale as well, but also think this season has been top notch. I haven't had a letdown in quality with a single episode this season.
Old 03-22-06, 12:55 PM

i LOVE the sopranos, buffy, deadwood, battlestar, rescue me, and lots of other great some day classic shows...but ive never felt so attached emotionally to a show, EVER...ive broken shit, yelled at the tv, choked on food, cried, and even farted at inappropraite times during the show to make my buddies laugh at an otherwise serious plot turn (hey its taco tuesdays too) this show is absolutely awesome!!! i sent out an email telling people if they took a week off of work to catch up on the first 5 seasons in time for the 2nd half of season 5 it would be totally worth reprecussions from work, family, friends, everything...

hows that for a stellar review of the season?
Old 03-22-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bell65
i LOVE the sopranos, buffy, deadwood, battlestar, rescue me, and lots of other great some day classic shows...but ive never felt so attached emotionally to a show, EVER...ive broken shit, yelled at the tv, choked on food, cried, and even farted at inappropraite times during the show to make my buddies laugh at an otherwise serious plot turn (hey its taco tuesdays too) this show is absolutely awesome!!! i sent out an email telling people if they took a week off of work to catch up on the first 5 seasons in time for the 2nd half of season 5 it would be totally worth reprecussions from work, family, friends, everything...

hows that for a stellar review of the season?
that's awesome.
Old 03-22-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jkberden
So you were bored with it? Or knocked out by it? Just wondering what way you meant it, if either way.
The latter.

BEST SHOW EVER.
Old 03-22-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Chew
I have yet to see the mid-season finale as well, but also think this season has been top notch. I haven't had a letdown in quality with a single episode this season.
The mid season finale is PHENOMINAL(!!!), the Shield always made me feel like I was developing an Ulcer rooting for Vic and the ST, last night I almost vomited, its that compelling.
Old 03-22-06, 02:28 PM

Incredible. I rank it up there with Season 1 of the Sopranos and Season 1 of the Shield as the best episodic drama I've ever seen.
Old 03-22-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
...last night I almost vomited, its that compelling.
For most shows, I wouldn't know how to relate to that comment. For The Shield it makes perfect sense. I know better than to root for people like Vic and the Strike Team, but damn if I don't keep hoping they get away with it each time...
Old 03-22-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TK-421
Incredible. I rank it up there with Season 1 of the Sopranos and Season 1 of the Shield as the best episodic drama I've ever seen.
Great company. I'd include LOST and N/T in that group as well.
Old 03-22-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it is any better than S4 of The Shield was. That said, I thought S4 was really great and was a big improvement on S3. I'd probably rank them 1, 4/5, 2, 3
Old 03-22-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
okay, i'm going to step out on a Lem here (see bad shield jokes do exist), This season was the best of the shows history. I love every season of this show, and this season completely impressed me. Forrest Whitaker was the best addition this show has ever had, sorry Glen Close and Anthony Anderson. He added an incredible amount of energy to a show that was already overflowing. He was so weird, and made every scene with him uncomfortable.

Does anybody know if they are going to release the first half on DVD before the second half gets started?

i rank them 5,1,4,2,3
Old 03-22-06, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TK-421

This is high praise indeed. I also feel that Season 1 of the Sopranos and the Shield are about the best episodic drama I have ever seen. While I have greatly enjoyed Seasons 2,3, and 4 of the Shield, I don't think any have matched the greatness of Season 1. Likewise with the subsequent seasons of the Sopranos. I am somewhat skeptical that Season 5 can live up to all this praise that is being heaped upon it. However, I absolutely cannot wait to see for myself. Thanks for all the comments and opinions.
Old 03-22-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jkberden
This is high praise indeed. I also feel that Season 1 of the Sopranos and the Shield are about the best episodic drama I have ever seen. While I have greatly enjoyed Seasons 2,3, and 4 of the Shield, I don't think any have matched the greatness of Season 1. Likewise with the subsequent seasons of the Sopranos. I am somewhat skeptical that Season 5 can live up to all this praise that is being heaped upon it. However, I absolutely cannot wait to see for myself. Thanks for all the comments and opinions.
You have to understand, that we just watched the 1/2 finale last night, and woke up from a nights sleep just as emotionally spent as we were when we went to bed last night

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.