Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Next Top Model: The Greatest Show In The History of Television

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Next Top Model: The Greatest Show In The History of Television

Old 05-18-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And even if you did find Danielle attractive, tell me you don't hear that sound effect of the phono needle skipping across a record as soon as she starts talking. I keep wondering after listening to Danielle speak if Twiggy kept asking "is that Jive?"
Old 05-18-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell, Danielle might be the first ANTM winner to be dubbed in her Covergirl commercial!
Old 05-18-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^haha...well, you figure if she works with a speech coach, she'll be fine. Her pictures all looked great.
Old 05-18-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
^^haha...well, you figure if she works with a speech coach, she'll be fine. Her pictures all looked great.
Exactly. This is America's Next Top Model, not Next Top Cover Girl...it's mainly about the pictures. She can work it out so her southern accent isn't as strong and distracting. Southern accents have charm once they are refined.
Old 05-18-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
Exactly. This is America's Next Top Model, not Next Top Cover Girl...it's mainly about the pictures. She can work it out so her southern accent isn't as strong and distracting. Southern accents have charm once they are refined.
It's not so much a southern accent as it is a ghetto accent. She doesn't sound southern to me - she sounds stupid.
Old 05-18-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She sounds ig'nurnt.

If they leave her speech as-is, then she might be the first Covergirl to be subtitled!!!
Haha!
Old 05-18-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Her only problem is one that they can fix with a vocal coach. How many big name actors do you think choked down a thick accent before making it? Lots.

I was a big Joanie fan but Danielle is fantastic too. When they were recapping their photos it was ridiculous. Every one of them was beautiful. This is the first time I'm actually looking forward to next season's My Life as a Covergirl.
Old 05-18-06, 11:58 AM

I'm not sure if Danielle's going to make it. IMO, Jade had the best shot--but she was such a jackass. I think ANTM wants a combination of high fashion/Covergirl stuff, plus a certain malleable personality. They've gotten both in varying degrees--but what they haven't gotten is a true, in demand and singular model.
Old 05-18-06, 06:35 PM

I thought every one of Joanies pics were kick ass. She was called first in almost every elimination. Sooo much personality in her pictures and her stint with the elephant was brilliant!!! But I thought Danielle outdid her as a runway model. As long as Jade didnt get it, I was alright then.
Old 05-18-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main thing Danielle had over Joanie was height, but that's it.
Old 05-18-06, 10:19 PM

To each its own..I thought Joanie was very beautiful, both took wonderful pictures but Danielle's Cover Girl picture was sheer perfection.

Ghetto accent, southern accent an accent is an accent by which a vocal coach can help her correct. Oh well, I'm happy and Danielle won so I guess some people will have to get over it.
Old 05-18-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Joanie should have won. Both took great pictures, but Danielle had the same face over and over again. At least Joanie used different faces and gestures. She was more marketable too, I think they botched the decision this year. And Jade, there's someone who's truely in her own world.
Old 05-22-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
If someone finds her "poem" online for dissection please print it here. That was a load of garbage.

WORD-

Base it on the steps of Life.
Or reverse the psychology and think about it twice.
Listen or let live, the POWER of remarks are sworn 2 give.
Every step you will take, is every little step thats better off 2 shake.
Not knowing whats go-in, and where and when your better off 2 be let showing.
HEAVEN AND HELL, EARTH, POWER, WIND FORCE. MAKE ME LISTEN AND MY STRENGTH WILL BE MY SOURCE.
But I will feel the difference if I believe, the power with-in me is the power of my disease.
But it doesnt make me sick, nor does it condemn me to hell.
I remain a free sprit where I soar my way to sail.
I do believe in a might that will change others. Not to Pretend, but in every person there is someone that will extend.
Past and beyond all the Glory, and always remember-Embrace Your True Valued Story.
With Love and GOD in who I Trust, I believe in a POWER and in that I believe I must.
Source: http://www.myspace.com/jadeygirll (need to be her "friend" to view it)

There are other poems there. Equally as well-written.
Old 05-22-06, 12:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The winner gets to do Cover Girl commercials.
You can't be a Cover Girl with a gap in your teeth.
Therefore, you can't be chosen the winner with a gap in your teeth.

They are doing her a favor by fixing it for her for free.
I know this is a bit late in response, but my problem wasn't that they were addressing the gap teeth. It's that they had never mentioned it as an issue in the episodes leading up to that one. Then all of a sudden they have a problem with it, when it should have been an issue from day one. I'm sure it's partly "bigger fish to fry" and partly an editing issue (i.e., saving the 'gap storyline' for the later episode). But it still bugs me when the first half of the season they seemingly don't have a problem with it but then suddenly it's a potential deal breaker that needs to be taken care of a.s.a.p. They seemingly do this at least once every season.
Old 05-22-06, 12:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and I hated Jade throughout the show and always thought she looked far too old. But in the finale it seems like they gave her Sarah's hairstyle and I thought it really worked for Jade. She for once looked her age IMO.
Old 05-22-06, 03:09 PM

Saw Danielle on Regis and Kelly today and she looked really good. She cut and colored her hair, and she really had a great personality. She still maintains that she is a southern girl and doesnt want to change her accent and top models have accents from all over the world.
Old 05-22-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patrick G
It's not so much a southern accent as it is a ghetto accent. She doesn't sound southern to me - she sounds stupid.
Bingo. Her southern accent, what little you can hear of it, isn't bad. It's the ebonics and lack of pronunciation that has nothing to do with having a southern accent that makes her difficult to listen to.

There's no way in hell I'd buy anything she was selling if she had to speak to sell. If I'm just looking at her photos, I'd figure she was very pretty and someone did a good job picking her for the static ad.
Old 05-22-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Source: http://www.myspace.com/jadeygirll (need to be her "friend" to view it)

There are other poems there. Equally as well-written.

So you're a friend?

BTW, that was the poem she said on TV? It doesn't even sound familar.
Old 05-23-06, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mllefoo
It's the ebonics and lack of pronunciation that has nothing to do with having a southern accent that makes her difficult to listen to.

There's no way in hell I'd buy anything she was selling if she had to speak to sell.
I'm sure ebonics would be included in a commercial, so that's one less purchase you'd be making this year.
Old 05-24-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leftover lady
Let alone the strongest to be subdued
If I only had the magic key that would unlock the realms to
The plateau of the highest me
Even though I've been badly bruised
Living in a house to become a popular muse.
Old 05-24-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I know this is a bit late in response, but my problem wasn't that they were addressing the gap teeth. It's that they had never mentioned it as an issue in the episodes leading up to that one. Then all of a sudden they have a problem with it, when it should have been an issue from day one. I'm sure it's partly "bigger fish to fry" and partly an editing issue (i.e., saving the 'gap storyline' for the later episode). But it still bugs me when the first half of the season they seemingly don't have a problem with it but then suddenly it's a potential deal breaker that needs to be taken care of a.s.a.p. They seemingly do this at least once every season.
I don't remember them ever having cosmetic surgery performed on any of the models in any previous seasons.

I think it's interesting that when the season began, and on through the early episodes, it would have been entirely appropriate to completely dismiss both Joanie and Danielle's chances of winning because of their teeth...

And then the show fixes their teeth for them, and they end up the final two.

I think at some point, The Powers That Be (Would that be the ANTM producers, Covergirl honchos?) decided that they wanted Joanie and Danielle to succeed in the competition, and the necessary steps were taken.

My question now is: If there's a model on the next season who has a flat chest, would it be appropriate for the show to give her a boob-job to make her more competitive?

Also, here's an article that ranks the Top Ten ANTM contestants from all six seasons: here