Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

President Logan and McGill are killing "24"!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 03:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

those two characters have been just awful on the show. at least McGill got his for now, but what President in their right mind orders the death of 100's of people in a mall and ok's the assassination of a Russian president and his wife and won't do anything when he knows his own wife is with them????

it is absurd that a smart show such as "24" would make such enormous errors in such a character. i actually fast forward all his scenes because i just can't stand him and the fact that the leader of the free world would make such decisions.

who's with me??
Old 03-02-06, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both annoying, but makes the show good
Old 03-02-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, Logan and McGill aren't much different from the countless terrible characters in other seasons of 24. If you are going to watch this show, you have to accept that it isn't logical, the plots are silly, CTU is incompetent, and most of the supporting characters are useless and annoying and make idiotic decisions just to push the plot. This isn't a new development. The show has been like this since episode #14. You simply accept these axioms and enjoy it for the mindless entertainment that it is. I'm not sure how I see that the actions of characters this season are any worse than previous ones. It is what it is. Hell, at this point, it's more a part of the formula than the 24-hour concept.

das
Old 03-02-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Of course Logan is always been like that. Is he supposed to be that Dan Quayle of TV (provided that Quayle ever would have ascended to the presidency)?
Old 03-02-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's the president, in residence, he's kind of charge, he's got the whole world saying "That's My Logan!"
Old 03-02-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I love to hate characters like President Logan and Lynn McGill. Is it so hard to believe that someone like Logan could be POTUS? After all, he wasn't elected, but took over from Vice-POTUS after the elected President was incapacitated. He's the kind of guy who's a career politician from the upper class -- doesn't like making waves, surrounded by yes-men, used to getting his way, comfortable in that there's always someone either higher or lower the political food-chain to take the blame for things (or to shirk off responsibility to). He might even be a decent #2, but finds himself way over his head suddenly forced to be #1. And forced into a pressure situation, finds all his character flaws rising to the surface. In "24", his best intelligence gives him this choice: allow 100 people (and later the Russian president and wife) to die, or risk a million dying. Sure, we know that Jack Bauer always saves the day, but Logan doesn't know that. Is it that unreasonable to see a man taking the path Logan did?

I think the Logan character makes for interesting tv, and is a nice contrast with David Palmer. And like McGill, he might have his public downfall coming -- which would be great to watch. Logan is giving off a kind of Nixon-vibe (general shiftiness, the praying). Part of the story is that he's trying to set himself up to win the next election, and wants to come across as good as possible -- even if it means some dodgy moral and legal choices.
Old 03-02-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really don't mind those characters. I thought it was WAY past due for someone to come into CTU trying to shut down all this "hush hush, work behind the scenes for Jack" nonsense. That, and the fact that there always seems to be a mole.

As for Logan, I actually like his character. I like the fact that he isn't a President who always has the right answer and always knows what to say. I'd like to think that if similar situations went down in real life, the POTUS would be truly befuddled with the tough choices he'd have to make. He's human.

I have more problems with silly characters like Chloe or Edgar, or that the show is too formulaic in each approach to get from point A to point B every single season (i.e, Jack goes undercover, Jack threatens somebody, Jack has to knock out/harm a fellow agent to get what he needs, the terrorists ALWAYS want to talk to Jack on the phone, etc.) It's the same thing over and over.
Old 03-02-06, 04:19 PM

i dunno. i like smart shows with smart characters. for the most part this show has it, but i don't dig buffonery in serious shows that this is supposed to be. even characters that you "love to hate" in some shows i watch i enjoy because they are not without some appealing factor that makes them hateable. these two characters i just don't enjoy to hate them.
Old 03-02-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i dunno. i like smart shows with smart characters.
Sorry, but 24 is about the furthest thing from that. You should be watching the Shield instead.
Old 03-02-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think its great to see a completely terrible President on a tv show. I find it extremely entertaining. If anything it mirrors the last 5 years of our existence.

As for Lynn, well of course we hate him, but let's face it....He's a realistic character. In real life, superiors in a government agency would not put up with what he was not putting up with. (okay, he was also starting to lose it a bit also...) We just don't like to see people go against Jack and Friends because he's written as the hero of the show.
Old 03-02-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think these guys are 2 pretty good actors to be able to inspire such hate in dvdtalkers. I don't like what their characters do on the show because it totally messes up the investigation, but isn't that part of the plot?
Old 03-02-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I think its great to see a completely terrible President on a tv show. I find it extremely entertaining. If anything it mirrors the last 5 years of our existence.

As for Lynn, well of course we hate him, but let's face it....He's a realistic character. In real life, superiors in a government agency would not put up with what he was not putting up with. (okay, he was also starting to lose it a bit also...) We just don't like to see people go against Jack and Friends because he's written as the hero of the show.
Thanks for the new sig!
Old 03-02-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Thanks for the new sig!
lol, you're very welcome.
Old 03-02-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I totally agree with this. President Logan is a terrible thing to the country on 24, but he is a great thing for the show.
Old 03-02-06, 06:45 PM
Banned

Lynn's stupidity and general incompetence is nothing new in 24, but it does seem to be the cumulation of 24's godawful writing over the years when it comes to those stupid workplace squabbles that basically waste time on the show. Remember Driscoll's stupid subplot with her deranged daughter? Or when Michelle fired someone in the middle of a crisis last year because the character asked for the raise Driscoll promised her?

Season four was pretty much a parody of 24, with all the torturing, the bad guys with the Rube Goldberg conspiracy, the plot twists just for the sake of having twists, and every stupid decision the characters made. Lynn is just an extension of that.
Old 03-02-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not real crazy about them either. I guess you can say I Love to hate them. Logan is an idiot and I dont know which real president they are modeling after ( I have my theories) but they are doing a great job.
I havent liked Sean Astins portrayal at all. The way he pronounces his words makes him sound like a kid. Get rid of him.
I am liking the first Lady though. Jean Smart has been terrific.
Old 03-02-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
waitaminnit..

24 is smart...?

Old 03-02-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Logan's been a solid addition to the show. He's the polar opposite of Palmer. He's nervous, uncertain of himself, unable to handle a crisis, and afraid to make any sort of important decision that could result in casualties. I also like Jean Smart as the First Lady.
Old 03-02-06, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Sorry, but 24 is about the furthest thing from that. You should be watching the Shield instead.
uh...i am.
well, not all the characters are smart, but they are strong and likeable. characters like Jack, Tony, Curtis, Audrey, Edgar, i can even back Chloe for the most part. these two we are talking about just kill it for me. i'll still watch, but their parts i got to tune out. i am sorry!

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-02-06 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-02-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't stand the Logan character, but I love Gregory Itzen's portrayal of him. IMO, he's the best actor on the show. (Followed closely by Jean Smart.)

Astin just sucks, as does his character. BUT, all the more fun to watch his downfall.
Old 03-02-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sherry was worse than either of them.
Old 03-02-06, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frankly at this point I think 24 is killing 24. The format of the show was novel when it first came out (for a continuing TV series atleast) but after 5 seasons it's wearing kind of thin quite frankly. Don't get me wrong I'm still enjoying the show and it's one of the few I actually try to watch every week, but if it didn't come back next season I wouldn't be too upset.
Old 03-03-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting tired of how the only person who has vital info suddenly dies or commits suicide. That has happened, what, 3 times already this season?
Old 03-03-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
i actually fast forward all his scenes because i just can't stand him and the fact that the leader of the free world would make such decisions.

who's with me??
Sigh...I just wish we could fast forward real-life.
Old 03-03-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm getting tired of how the only person who has vital info suddenly dies or commits suicide. That has happened, what, 3 times already this season?
Psshhht, that's nothing. It's not 24 if it doesn't happen at least 10 more times before the season finale. Gotta learn to accept that reality if you're going to watch this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.