Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race 9 -- Season Premiere -- 2/28/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which team will suffer the indignity of being eliminated on the first leg?
Lake & Michelle
0%
Danielle & Dani
4.76%
BJ & Tyler
9.52%
Ray & Yolanda
4.76%
John & Scott
9.52%
David & Lori
23.81%
Eric & Jeremy
0%
Lisa & Joni
38.10%
Joseph & Monica
0%
Wanda & Desiree
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meet the Teams

Lake & Michelle

Lake & Michelle are a close-knit married couple from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. They met as freshmen in college and have been married for 13 years.

Lake is a dentist who has limited traveling experience outside of the United States. While he describes himself as energetic and motivated, Michelle notes that he's your typical Type A personality, very impatient and always looking for ways to do it better.

Michelle is a stay-at-home mother of three who works part-time in Lake's office. She claims that she's much more laid back than her husband and hopes this won't cause friction between the two while taking part on THE AMAZING RACE. Michelle sees herself as being loyal, kind and loving and is running the Race to prove to herself and Lake that she's capable of accomplishing things.

Danielle & Dani

Danielle & Dani are childhood friends hailing from Staten Island, New York. The two beauties met over 10 years ago and have been inseparable ever since.

Outgoing and talkative, Danielle, who recently graduated from St. Johns University with a degree in Speech Pathology, has limited experience when it comes to traveling abroad and is eager to see what this globetrotting adventure has to offer.

Dani recently graduated at the top of her class from Wagner College. She describes herself as being fun-loving, wild and eager to get out of Staten Island. Like her teammate, Dani also hasn't traveled very much. She hopes the Race will provide her with the chance to explore all the different cultures in the world.

BJ & Tyler

BJ & Tyler are bohemian best buds who first met four years ago during the Semester at Sea program, where they shared the experience of sailing around the world. One of their most memorable moments was starting a dance party in the streets of downtown Guilin, China, which turned into a mass gathering of hundreds of Chinese men. They have been friends ever since, whether bouncing on trampolines at Burning Man or spontaneously swimming in the San Francisco Bay.

BJ is a graduate of Harvard University, while Tyler graduated from UC Santa Cruz after completing two semesters abroad--one in Hungary, the other in South Africa. Both have traveled the world extensively and speak several languages including Spanish and Japanese.

Both BJ and Tyler share a love of adventure, travel, and good times. After graduating from college, BJ moved to California to pursue surfing, karate and frisbee. Meanwhile, Tyler fell in love with a Japanese girl and decided to impress her by walking the 2000-mile length of Japan.

Ray & Yolanda

Ray & Yolanda have been dating for five years. An accomplished athlete, Yolanda ran track with Ray's cousin at the University of Florida. One day while visiting his cousin at the track, Ray was introduced to Yolanda, but it wasn't until later that the two were reacquainted and exchanged phone numbers.

Natives of Florida, Ray & Yolanda now reside in Chicago, Illinois. Yolanda grew up in Gainesville, Florida and was a math and science teacher in Miami before she recently moved in with Ray, who is originally from Jacksonville. After receiving his law degree from the University of Miami and practicing law in South Florida, Ray accepted a position as an attorney in Chicago.

While Ray is said to be the more disciplined of the two, both describe themselves as opinionated and stubborn. Yolanda admits that she has a bit of trouble finishing what she's started and Ray claims that she often runs late. Nevertheless, Yolanda & Ray enjoy working out together and are looking forward to the adventure of the Race and the thrill of competition.

John & Scott

John & Scott met in high school and have been friends for more than 25 years. The men differ in that John admits to being too controlling at times where Scott is not controlling at all.

John, who is single, lives in Boston, Massachusetts, where he works as a wealth manager and artist. He also plans to pursue a career in real estate one day. When he's not working, John enjoys spending time on Cape Cod with his two Great Danes, Hector and Percy. His proudest accomplishments include purchasing and renovating his 1883 brownstone and completing the Boston to New York AIDS 250-Mile Bike Ride.

Scott, who is in sales, currently resides on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He describes himself as a fun and gregarious person whose personal motto is "live, live, live." He claims that the most exciting moment in life has yet to happen.

The lively duo share memories from road trips they've taken to New York City and Provincetown, Massachusetts. However, you won't hear of any far off places that they've traveled to because John has a fear of flying and hasn't been on a plane in over eight years! One of the main reasons for going on the Race is John's hope that he will overcome his fears while both friends will be able to see the world together.

David & Lori

David & Lori are a couple from Manhattan, Kansas who have been dating for three years. Although Lori is ready to get married, David would like to get his career off the ground before he ties the knot.

Describing himself as intelligent and compassionate, David has done little traveling, but is eager to explore the world. He received Bachelor's of Arts and Science degrees from Kansas State University. A musician who is very involved with his local underground music scene, David's many bands have released three full length CDs and have played in several local music festivals and venues across the country. His one phobia is heights.

An assistant manager at Pizza Hut, Lori says she is energetic, understanding and willing. She also believes herself to be more spontaneous than her partner, who is more reserved and likes to have a plan. Nevertheless, they look forward to working together as they travel around the world and learn about different cultures on THE AMAZING RACE.

Eric & Jeremy

Jeremy & Eric, best friends from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, met while running college track at Johnson County Community College. Both are admittedly cocky, very competitive and strong athletes. They are avid volleyball players who frequently compete in local tournaments.

Sarcastic and patient, Jeremy is well-traveled and ready for the adventure of a lifetime. He works as a valet and is hoping the Race will help him to make something of his life.

Eric, who works as a waiter and a bartender, has little experience traveling outside of the United States. A two-time NJCAA Track and Field All American in the pole vault, Eric describes himself as being athletic and outgoing. His biggest pet peeve about his teammate is that Jeremy won't take criticism.

Fran & Barry

Fran & Barry have known each other for 45 years and have been married for over 40. The proud parents of two children, this adventure-loving couple makes their home in Summit County, Colorado. Although they travel a lot, the word “vacation” is not a frequently used term in their home. They prefer to refer to their trips around the world as “adventure travel.”

Fran, who is 61 years old, is a retired accountant who describes herself as having a positive outlook on life. Fran enjoys skiing, biking, and hiking and has climbed all of Colorado’s 54 14ers, which are the Colorado mountain peaks that exceed 14,000 feet. Fran admits that she’s running THE AMAZING RACE to show that “old people” can compete just as well as most 25 year olds.

Barry, who is 63 years old, thrives on challenging himself and loves to compete. A retired urologist and former battalion surgeon with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam, Barry describes himself as outgoing and dependable. His biggest disappointment with regards to Fran was that she refused to bungee jump from a bridge in New Zealand. Although he does point out that she made good by agreeing to skydive.

Having traveled to more than 45 countries together, these high school sweethearts are hoping their previous traveling experience will give them an advantage over the other Teams.

Lisa & Joni

Lisa & Joni are sisters who have lived apart from one another for almost 20 years. After their father passed away, Joni opted to stay in Texas with their mom, while Lisa moved to Florida. The sisters hope their experience on THE AMAZING RACE will help them to reconnect with one another and make up for lost time.

Lisa, who lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, is also a mother of two and has been married for seven years. Several years ago, Lisa accomplished her longtime goal of opening her own art gallery. She's an avid artist who enjoys anything creative and describes herself as smart, determined and competitive.
Joni, who resides in Katy, Texas, is the mother of two and has been married for 10 years. She has never traveled outside of the United States and is quite eager to see what the world has to offer. Funny and headstrong, Joni claims to be a people person who is much more patient than her teammate.

Joseph & Monica

Joseph & Monica have been dating for the past three years. This fun-loving couple met at a local bar in Fayetteville, Arkansas during college when Joseph claims he "just about broke his neck when Monica walked through the door." After a brief separation for a few months, they missed each other tremendously and decided to give their relationship a second try. They've been together ever since.

Joseph describes himself as confident and funny, while Monica is independent and tenacious. Born and raised in the South, the couple shares a love of country music, wakeboarding and traveling. Joseph's proudest accomplishment has been building and selling his first home.

Wanda & Desiree

Wanda & Desiree are a mother and daughter Team with a close-knit bond. Both women have a great sense of humor and enjoy shopping, traveling and cooking.

Wanda, a corporate trainer, is married and lives in Smyrna, Georgia. Fluent in Spanish, Wanda has previously lived in New York and Puerto Rico. One of the accomplishments for which Wanda is most proud is earning two college degrees while raising her daughter. More recently, Wanda was able to share in the excitement of watching Desiree graduate from NYU.

Desiree resides in New York City where she works as a writer. Currently in a steady relationship, she describes herself as passionate and artistic. An only child, her biggest pet peeve about her mother is that she tends to be overprotective.

Since there are only 10 poll options, I omitted Fran & Barry. Besides, everyone knows that the old team will advance at least a couple legs merely due to the stupidity of other teams.

TV Guide indicated that they're headed for
Spoiler:
Sao Paulo, Brazil
in the first episode.

Last edited by the big train; 02-28-06 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get past the pink t-shirts.
Old 02-28-06, 09:09 AM

Glad to see the show is back, but not to thrilled about it showing at 10PM starting next week.
Old 02-28-06, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Hopefully they are required to wear those througout?

Lisa and Joni not getting much love, lol.
Old 02-28-06, 09:16 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm going with the Pizza Hut Manager and her pizza eating, musician boyfriend as the first team out.
Old 02-28-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
The "pink" one on the left reminds me of:

The one on the right is kinda cute but the other one (deer in the headlights) looks worn out and skanky. The two-tone hair is horrible.
Old 02-28-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait !
It's on for 2 hours tonight, 9-11 pm. (est)
Old 02-28-06, 12:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
they are wearing the pink shirts teh whole time, each team has a colour.

they got pink.

I hope it's BT and Tyler, they already annoy me
Old 02-28-06, 12:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Fran admits that she’s running THE AMAZING RACE to show that “old people” can compete just as well as most 25 year olds.
You know, this quote is getting tiresome. I'm sick of teams using it...although it should be pointed out that no team who's used that phrase (or a variant) has won the race.
Old 02-28-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
You know, this quote is getting tiresome. I'm sick of teams using it...although it should be pointed out that no team who's used that phrase (or a variant) has won the race.
The main thing to remember is that old people are no good at everything.
Old 02-28-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i've never seen a season of The Amazing Race, so i'm going to give this one a chance.
Old 02-28-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I went to St. Johns, and can definitavly say that the official major for women from Brooklyn/Staten Island/Queens/Long Island looking to marry a semi-rich husband is Speech Pathology
Old 02-28-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An interesting article:

"Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan acknowledges that the show took a misstep with last fall's family edition, in which the Emmy-winning series eschewed its globe-trotting escapades for a race that featured more players -- teams of four, instead of two -- but stayed entirely within North America.

"We tried something, and I'm really proud of the fact that we did," he says. "I think if we hadn't, people might have criticized us for not being adventurous and doing something different." Still, "people clearly made a statement that they wanted the international element to the show. They missed it."

Indeed, after several seasons of rising ratings, "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" failed to keep the trend going. It drew an average of about 10.8 million viewers per week, compared to 13 million and 11.5 million for the two competitions that aired last season.

So for the ninth edition of "The Amazing Race," which debuts Tuesday (Feb. 28) on CBS, the show is returning to its roots, which Keoghan succinctly describes as "less faces, more places."

"For me personally, I think [reaction to the family edition] showed the places are as much a star in the show as the people," Keoghan says. "People missed that exotic, fish-out-of-water element where [contestants] are completely and utterly dumbfounded as to what to do because of culture shock or language barriers."

As if to underscore the break from the previous show, this race almost immediately leaves the continent. From the Red Rocks amphitheater outside Denver, the 11 teams fly to Sao Paulo, Brazil; Keoghan says later episodes will take them to Sicily, Russia and the Middle East. In all, the teams -- and the crew, including Keoghan -- traveled some 60,000 miles in just 29 days, the most distance the show has covered in that amount of time.

Covering that much ground in that little time can make for some logistical headaches, particularly if the teams are widely separated. Keoghan won't say if it happened in this race, but in the past, there have been times when he's arrived at the end of a leg only moments before the first-place team.

"This is the thing that people forget: If the spread of the teams is close to the 12 hours of the pit stop, I'm there for the first team and there for the last," he says. "There are times when I don't have any major lead over the first teams, and times where I cant get to all the locations before getting to the pit stop ahead of them.

"So I'll go to the pit stop to be there before them, then backtrack on the preceding leg to shoot the Detour, then try to leap ahead for the Detour or Roadblock on the next leg."

For all the ping-ponging around he has to do, though, it's clear Keoghan still loves the job, and he readily ticks off a few places he'd like the show to go in the future: Mongolia, Bhutan, Nepal, the interior of Africa.

"A lot of it has to do with logistics, getting to some of the more remote places in the world with all the people we have and doing it safely and efficiently," he says. "I hope we can get to some of those places. But if we can't do it on the race, I'll do it personally."
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ph...v-mainheadline

Phil always states the total number of miles the winners raced at the finish line of each season, reading this makes me wonder just how many thousands more the production crew has to put in.
Old 02-28-06, 02:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

"For me personally, I think [reaction to the family edition] showed the places are as much a star in the show as the people," Keoghan says. "People missed that exotic, fish-out-of-water element where [contestants] are completely and utterly dumbfounded as to what to do because of culture shock or language barriers."

For sure that's a huge part of it, the biggest part of the dissapointment was that families were lame, and too big. but outside of that not leaving the US with the exception of Panama was a letdown. Glad phil and the powers that be can recognise this.
Old 02-28-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Exactly. I would've loved to see those Weavers get stoned in some non-Christian country for trying to lecture people on Christ and convert them.
Old 02-28-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What in the.... there are no gay people this time. Whats going on???
Old 02-28-06, 03:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

yes there are.

Originally Posted by TAR

John & Scott met in high school and have been friends for more than 25 years. The men differ in that John admits to being too controlling at times where Scott is not controlling at all.

John, who is single, lives in Boston, Massachusetts, where he works as a wealth manager and artist. He also plans to pursue a career in real estate one day. When he's not working, John enjoys spending time on Cape Cod with his two Great Danes, Hector and Percy. His proudest accomplishments include purchasing and renovating his 1883 brownstone and completing the Boston to New York AIDS 250-Mile Bike Ride.

Scott, who is in sales, currently resides on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He describes himself as a fun and gregarious person whose personal motto is "live, live, live." He claims that the most exciting moment in life has yet to happen.

The lively duo share memories from road trips they've taken to New York City and Provincetown, Massachusetts. However, you won't hear of any far off places that they've traveled to because John has a fear of flying and hasn't been on a plane in over eight years! One of the main reasons for going on the Race is John's hope that he will overcome his fears while both friends will be able to see the world together.

Now I know a lot of people who have done the aids ride, but none of them spent a lot of time with a dog called percy, or hang out in P-town.

Also I watched the videos on cbs.com

Last edited by BDB; 02-28-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 03:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Jeraden
What in the.... there are no gay people this time. Whats going on???
And where are all the hot female models? Those pink girls just aren't in the same league.
Old 02-28-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Monica and Desiree are nice. Definitely a down year though.
Old 02-28-06, 04:06 PM

Looking forward to this season...I hope it can get back to it's Emmy winning form and we can all forget the horror that was The Family Edition. If we gotta see some leg of the race that has them searching for a giant chair...at least we'll get to see an interesting country and not Mississippi this time.
Old 02-28-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My pick for the first team gone is David & Lori, just based on those pictures alone.
Old 02-28-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Didn't Reichen and Chip say they wanted to do the race to prove to people that people who are gay can do good at reality shows, too, or some variant of that?
Old 02-28-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going with Lisa & Joni. I think that they will come in last tonight.
Old 02-28-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Didn't Reichen and Chip say they wanted to do the race to prove to people that people who are gay can do good at reality shows, too, or some variant of that?
I was also thinking of "Mirna and Schmirna", at least as the "little one" said it at the platform when they got eliminated.

Doesn't make sense that gay people would need to prove that they can win at reality shows considering that Richard Hatch won the first season of "Survivor".
Old 02-28-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"After graduating from college, BJ moved to California to pursue surfing, karate and frisbee."

frisbee???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.