Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 5: 3:00PM - 4:00PM" -- 02/20/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 5: 3:00PM - 4:00PM" -- 02/20/06

Old 02-21-06, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Wasn't Tiny Lister the President in The Fifth Element a year before Deep Impact hit theaters?
I believe that he was President of Earth, not the U.S.
Old 02-21-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whatever shit is crawling in Hobbit's ass would not fly in any LEO agency. If my SGT or watch commander suddenly went balls out on the staff like that they would be booted straight home with an appointment for psych eval the next day.

Next weeks ep looks
Old 02-21-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going to have to stop watching for a few weeks. This storyline with the President and First Lady is just so compelling that my heart can't take too much more.

das
Old 02-21-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just thought it was funny that Jack decided he didn't want Curtis to be conscious, and then he had to carry him out of the car.
Old 02-21-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spaced out for a second... Did we find out what was on the chip that Jack sent to Chloe to decrypt?
Old 02-21-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
hahah i love how the chip just happens to fit into jacks phone.
That was a standard SD chip used by many cameras and phones. Why wouldn't it fit?
Old 02-21-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
That was a standard SD chip used by many cameras and phones. Why wouldn't it fit?
In the real world, Jack's phone would have used CompactFlash. It just would've.
Old 02-21-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Achtung

but the phone he used wasn;t his.. it was 'borrowed' from the guy he killed
Old 02-21-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 894 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
That's what I thought as well.
Old 02-21-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Achtung
The Treo doesn't slot for CF, it slots for SD/MMC.
Old 02-21-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
So?

If you want to complain about technical errors, you guys are complaining about the wrong thing. What I find amusing is how Jack is able to transmit the card's entire contents to a static IP address with just a couple of button clicks.

Last edited by Flave; 02-21-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-21-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So?
I thought it was borrowed from Nathanson. His chip, his phone, what's the problem?
Old 02-21-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So?

If you want to complain about technical errors, you guys are complaining about the wrong thing. What I find amusing is how Jack is able to transmit the card's entire contents to a static IP address with just a couple of button clicks.
I'm not complaining.. I suspend all disbelief when watching this show

so what was on the card?
Old 02-21-06, 11:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 566 Likes on 329 Posts
I've decided not to question the technology in this show so that I can still enjoy it. If Jack can be in constant two-way clear, uninterrupted communication with CTU using only one earpiece small enough so that the terrorists don't notice it, then I can accept instantaneous transfer of data from a cell phone to CTU. It's just like reversing the tachyon beam emitter, or something.
Old 02-21-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to mention you can get anywhere in LA in 10 minutes time...because there's NO TIME!!!!
Old 02-21-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't trust that damn Hobbit.
Old 02-21-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
They had a nice article in the Daily News, about how refreshing it is to see a really TERRIBLE president on a TV show
...that's not a State of the Union address.

Good episode. The Hobbit is bugging me too and I hate his acting.
Old 02-21-06, 12:40 PM

Samwise's acting bugged me at the beginning of the season, but I think he's doing a pretty good job now.
Old 02-21-06, 01:21 PM
Banned

This whole Jack-needs-to-go-rogue routine is getting old. I'm sure Curtis would've broken the rules to help him out.

Also, for a show about counter-terrorism, the higher ups sure have no problem caving into terrorist demands (even Palmer). And this whole Lynn thing is beyond absurd -- all he needs now is to have a psycho daughter who commits suicide so he can leave work in the middle of a national crisis.

Is it too much to ask that this show tighten up its writing a little bit?
Old 02-21-06, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigsoos
I don't trust that damn Hobbit.
Me neither. I like him on the show now, but don't trust him at all.

I really liked this episode. Maybe too much, as now I am kind of way antsy for next week. I also really liked 24 together with House. Those shows went very well together.
Old 02-21-06, 02:22 PM

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by flagstone
I just thought it was funny that Jack decided he didn't want Curtis to be conscious, and then he had to carry him out of the car.
As in, "The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't feel like carrying you"? Good one.

Curtis is a big dude and I wouldn't want to carry him far either...
Old 02-21-06, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Link

Spoiler:
Itzin Is '24's' Petrified POTUS
By Kate O'Hare
Friday, February 17, 2006
03:40 PM PT

There seems to be a critical mass of fictional presidents in primetime at the moment, from Jed Bartlet on "The West Wing" to Mackenzie Allen on "Commander In Chief" to the boss of Vice President Caroline Reynolds on "Prison Break."
And then there's "24," airing Monday on FOX. The breathless thriller gave America its first black fictional president, the beloved David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert), then nearly killed him a few times, before actually killing him as an ex-president in a surprise assassination that kicked off this season's 24 hours of terror.

Last season, Palmer's unfortunate successor, Keeler (Geoff Pierson), had his Air Force One shot down (he survived, but is unable to take office again), which made way for the emergency installation of his vacillating vice president, Logan (Gregory Itzin), who's still in office this year.

Logan has waffled his way along, ducking the hard decisions, leaning on his advisors and not always standing behind CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) Agent Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland), which, in the "24" universe, is akin to high treason.
"It's hard not to take these slams personally," Itzin says. "The first public comment I got was when we were eating at an Italian restaurant in Glendale. This family walked up and said, 'We have two words for you ... Habib Marwan'." -- referring to last season's chief terrorist -- "Then they said, 'We just hate you. We want to reach into the TV and strangle you. You're doing a fantastic job.'"

It gets worse when Itzin is out golfing with buddy Haysbert. "People are constantly coming up to Dennis and saying, 'I love you on that show. Are you coming back?' And they look over at me. They do a double take and say, 'It's him,' like I can't hear them. 'That's the bad president.' Dennis smiles, and we have to deal with this. Dennis has to say, 'You don't understand, he's a very nice man, actually.'

"Palmer said 'yes' whenever Jack Bauer needed to do something, and he's America's avenging angel."

So, we've gone from the strong fist of Palmer to the strong fist of Keeler to ... "The weak, limp wrist of Logan," Itzin says. "Why did I supply you with that?"

Now "24" fans know what happens when Bauer doesn't have the Chief Executive in his corner.

"Drama is about conflict," Itzin says. "I just walk into a room, and there's conflict. Also, they turned the whole concept on its head. Until episode 18 of last year, you essentially had people in the office of president that you assumed you could trust, count on, and they would always back Jack Bauer.

"Well, things have changed."

Itzin knew early on that he wasn't going to get to be a noble character.

"I came in, and I gave them choices," he says. "As I did different takes, it was between semi-staunch leader of men and abject coward. And they inevitably picked the abject-coward takes, so I knew where we were going."

This season's non-stop plot has a group of Russian separatists hijacking a shipment of nerve-gas canisters. In the Monday, Feb. 13, episode, the terrorists -- along with an undercover Bauer -- headed to a shopping mall to test the triggering mechanism on one of the canisters.

The question became, should Bauer and his team thwart the attack, thereby tipping their hand, or let it happen in hopes the terrorists would lead them to the remaining canisters?

Pressured by advisors both in his own circle and at CTU, Logan opted to release the gas. But Bauer rejected the order and found another way out.

"And how do you feel about that?" Itzin says of Logan's decision. "But do you understand it? I did my best to play, first of all, the fact that I didn't want it to go down this way, and the fact that, do I have to make this f***ing decision? And OK, this is what my advisors, every stinking one of them, told me to do. OK.

"Is he happy about this? I think, wonderfully, the toll from this day is going to eat a big acid hole in this man's soul."

Almost without fail, real presidents exit the Oval Office a lot grayer than when they came in.

"That's correct," Itzin says. "I understand why people get the way they are. Even the small amount of time I've been doing this, I'm being told to be honest with the American people, and I can see how, why, these people are never honest with the American people. If you told the American people, really, what the world was like, there would be a collective nervous breakdown.

"So I understand why they become paranoid and secretive and private and closed-mouthed and shifty-eyed and all those things."

Off-camera, Haysbert often expressed the wish that Palmer could grab a gun and join Bauer in the field. Turns out Itzin harbors a similar -- and likely equally unrequited -- fantasy.

"We have these great skylights," he says, "in the Western White House or Logan's retreat or whatever we're calling it, and I had visions of terrorists coming down through there, and me grabbing a nine-iron and putting a hole in somebody's head. Really, I did.

"I'd love to be a hero. I'd love to pull out a Glock and blow away ... I don't know. Let me think about who I'd like to blow away."

There are no real spoilers (other than last weeks episode) in the above piece, but it is a funny and interesting read on what he thinks about his character.

Chris
very cool article, thanks
Old 02-21-06, 02:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Legolas

Is it too much to ask that this show tighten up its writing a little bit?
Apparently yes it is. I couldn't agree more with the people who are complaining about the rehash EVERY SEASON!!! It is getting extreamly old and they need a new story line to somehow reinvent or recharge the series...

Unfortunatly, Season 4 was its most popular season so I am sure they are going to stick to that formula. It's too bad this is a FOX show and they will drag it into the ground instead of ending on a good note. And with the way things are going, the future doesnt look to bright...

*Remembers the days of Season 1*
Old 02-21-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
The new bad guy killed the old because releasing the gas in the mall was unsanctioned by him, he only wanted to use the gas on Russians. Nathanson is on the run because he is the one that reconfigured the canisters to blow up in the terrorists faces they aren't to happy about that.
But he also killed him because the old bad guy was the one who apparently said that they should use the Americans to get the nerve gas. The new bad guy said that he knew they couldn't be trusted, but because he gave in to the judgment of the old bad guy, someone needed to be punished for the mess up.
Old 02-21-06, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Preditor74
*Remembers the days of Season 1*
I just saw Season 1 about a month ago and it did have a problem with rehashing stuff (Kim getting captured over and over again) during the middle episodes.

I know that someone mentioned here that it was originally written as a 12 episode story arc, so when they got a full season order, they had to fill in a lot of story at the last minute, so they could bring it out to a full 24 episodes.

But you would think that after saving the world 4 times already that Jack would have carte blanche with whatever he does. But of course, if it were that way it wouldn't be as interesting as it is, nor would we get 24 episodes.

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.