Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Slings and Arrows (Rachel McAdams, Mark McKinney) Marathon - Sat 2.18.06 - Sundance

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Slings and Arrows (Rachel McAdams, Mark McKinney) Marathon - Sat 2.18.06 - Sundance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3pm - 8pm ET
Sundance Channel

I fully expect this thread to sink like a rock, but on the off chance I can help just one person, I'll make the effort.

There's a little known (at least here in the States) Canadian series from 2003 called Slings & Arrows that chronicles the adventures of a small Shakepearean theater company. It's a quirky mix of comedy and drama and is really unlike anything I can remember watching. Last year, the Sundance Channel gained the rights to show it here and has been airing the first 6-episode season off-and-on at strange hours of the night, and I keep meaning to tell people to watch it but never have enough lead time. Well, this certainly isn't much lead time either, because I just noticed it 5 minutes ago, but Sundance is airing the whole first season again in preparation for their new acquisition of the 2nd season (which aired in Canada last year).

If you're at all a fan of Shakespeare or the theater or just plain fun television, try to find a way to see this. I'm not going to pretend it is for everyone, because it really isn't (it's a little oddball and unconventional), but the 2 people I've gotten to watch it both fell in love with it, and I know there are people here who would too. The first season is all about their small production of Hamlet (I adore that play, so there is some bias at work here), and the main star is Paul Gross, whom American audiences probably know best from Due South. It's only 6 episodes, and they're pushing them into only 5 hours.

None of these pages has a ton of info, but here are some links from the official sites if you're interested (some minor plot details may be "spoiled", but they're not a big deal):

http://www.themovienetwork.ca/slingsandarrows/
http://www.moviecentral.ca/content3/slings/
http://www.sundancechannel.com/featu...ixContent=8728

Sundance will start airing the 2nd season Feb 19 at 8pm ET.

Someone take a chance on this, so I didn't waste all this time typing this post.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-17-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-17-06, 10:38 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, I'd been meaning to check this out even though I didn't know anything about it. I wanted to catch it from the beginning and I guess I kept missing the first episode.
Old 02-17-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you enjoy it. If you don't, I'll delete the thread so there's no proof of my involvement.

das
Old 02-17-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Rachel Mcadams gives me teh hots, i might dvr it for the hell of it, the only canadian programing ive really seen was degrassi
Old 02-17-06, 11:53 PM

i always give anything with Mark Mckinney a try -- I havent heard of this series and it sounds interesting ... I'll set up the Tivo when i get home.
Old 02-18-06, 02:33 AM

I'm going to give this a chance after the rave in Friday's SF Chronicle by a TV critic I agree with at least 75% of the time. First I'll have to watch the six episodes of Season 1 which are being broadcast on Sundance Saturday afternoon. BTW, the column linked below leads with Sunday's Season 3 return of demented BBC soap Footballers Wives. I discovered this show on DVD a few months ago and loved it. Not a likeable character in the lot. Check the dvdtalk review.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...L&type=tvradio