Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Next season on tv....It's the end of the world. (Zombie tv series & more)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22457

Apocalyptic Scenario No 1: Nuclear War
"Jericho" - Network: CBS
Writer: Steven Chbosky (The Perks of Being A Wallflower)
Odds You'll Be Seeing It On The Air: 50/50

Our young protagonist returns to his incredibly isolated hometown, Jericho, tucked neatly away in Kansas, where he reconciles with his estranged brother, father/town mayor, and the now-engaged-to-someone-else girl he left behind. Life is good in this small, cozy slice-of-Americana.
And then, on the eve of the President's State of the Union address, the country gets blown up. Oops. Mushroom clouds over Boulder, Atlanta (the only two confirmed in the pilot, but things aren't looking good), but Jericho remains. It's citizens, however, are starting to go a little nuts. But, I mean, who wouldn't?

The entire pilot takes place on the first night, and it's jam-packed with end-of-the-world goodness. A bus crash. Missing children. A crazy old coot with a CB radio. A new resident with a secret. Escaped prisoners. Geiger counters. On-screen amateur tracheotomy. All topped off with some solid Lost-style characterization.

Sure it's a nuclear war, but not the messy kind. It might as well have been an alien invasion, or conveniently dispersed asteroids that wiped out America. No skin peeling off or hair falling out of flipper babies here. But who wants to see that anyway? The nukes aren't what's important. What's important is that the people of Jericho are alone, cut off from everything else, and are going to have to learn to survive together. I know, sounds familiar. But it works. My favorite drama pilot of the year.
Apocalyptic Scenario #2: Superhuman Evolution

"Heroes" - Network: NBC
Writer: Tim Kring (Crossing Jordan)
Odds You'll Be Seeing It In The Fall: 100%

There are no absolutes when it comes to pilot-to-series guarantee. Unless you're Aaron Sorkin. But "Heroes" is about as safe a bet as you can make. Why?

In Manhattan, a male nurse in his mid-30s dreams he can fly. In Texas, a perky teenage cheerleader throws herself off a cliff and bemusedly watches as her bones snap back together. In Utah, a death-row inmate wakes up each morning on the outside of his cell. In Japan, an office drone believes he can alter the space-time continuum.

That's just half the cast. I didn't include the psychic artist or the stripper with a killer reflection. Or the Indian professor, trying to piece it all together. Or the priest, who...well, he's bad news. Strange things are happening all over the world to seemingly random people. Some connections are made. Some don't connect at all. Yet.

"Heroes" is BIG. Globe-spanning. Every character's story is compelling enough to stand on its own. Put 'em together and you've got a two-hour pilot script feels like a feature. And after a summer comic-book film feast courtesy of X-Men 3 and Superman Returns, these non spandex-clad "Heroes" are going to be the delicious soft-serve ice cream bar with unlimited toppings. And hot fudge.

Oh, and by the end of the pilot, it's clear that the emergence of our "Heroes" might not be the best thing for the rest of us non-Tomorrow People.
Two more tidbits: Best line - Disbelieving Japanese co-worker: "We are not special! We are Japanese!"

And to those who shun any sort of superhero-related project that doesn't give props to its comic book inspiration, the script is chock full of gorgeous illustrations by famed artist Tim Sale, and one hopes they'll be incorporated into the show somehow.

Apocalyptic Scenario #3: American Civil War - Part Deux!
"A House Divided" - Network: ABC
Writer: Andrew David Chapman
Odds You'll Be Seeing it in the Fall: I'll put this one at 30%.

In the near-future, the unthinkable has happened. A Liberal President is back in power. How liberal? Well, he's raised taxes to the point where Middle America has had just about enough. A small group of farmers have decided "Hell No!" They're not paying anymore. One of these farmers, a good-natured retired Gulf War II vet, just trying to get by and raise his family, through a series of highly believable government mishaps, and the manipulations of a well-stocked Kansas militia, ends up becoming the head of this escalating conflict. As the pilot ends, Northern Kansas succeeds from the United States.

What's great about "House" is that my one-paragraph summary barely scratches the surface of what's going on in this pilot. Once I was done reading it, I realized I had no idea where I really stood in this hypothetical conflict. There is no right side and wrong side in this one. It's complicated. It's relevant. It's worth having on the air, just so the angry talking heads on cable news have something in Hollywood to bloviate about once Brokeback-mania dies down. It's incendiary stuff, and it's solid, powerful writing.
It's going to take some ABC execs with brass ones to risk throwing this one on the air. But the free media exposure it's going to get is going to make even Matt Drudge forget that Geena Davis was once the President.

Apocalyptic Scenario #4 - Cannibal Holocaust
"Untitled Zombie Project" - Network: FOX
Writer: Kevin Williamson (Dawson's Creek, Scream)
Odds You'll Be Seeing It In Fall: 0%
A hazy Los Angeles morning. A small earthquake rattles you from your bed. You walk out to your car and find that a thick yellow dust of unknown origin has settled all over the city. A few hours later, people start acting strangely. Even for LA. Soon, you find yourself in a city gone insane, trying to escape your zombie-infested office building or college campus or, yes, finally, a preschool.

From what I've heard this project is as dead as the zombies brain-munching their way through Los Angeles in Kevin Williamson's awesome script. I guess network TV isn't ready for Heather Graham or disease-ridden flesh-eating pre-schoolers. I know I am though, and so are the millions of other people who are probably salivating to learn that America came close this year to getting it's first ongoing zombie serial.

I know Kevin Williamson doesn't probably seem like the first guy you'd go to for zombie horror, but damned if he's not the man for the job. What's UZP like? Remember the first fifteen minutes of 2004's "Dawn of the Dead" remake? Stretch that into an hour, ratchet up the intensity, and you've got UZP in a nutshell. So yeah, the answer to the million dollar question - Fast Zombies.

Structured in the multi-character format that's become so popular, Williamson delivers us some solid character work in the first fifteen minutes, and then let's us watch them run for their lives from the walking (running) dead.
In the end, our survivors, made up of a healthy stable of zombie-movie players (A cop, a criminal, two teenagers, a cute kid, a homeless guy, a Korean Woman with an arsenal, and our strong, reserved, tortured protagonist. And the Professor and Mary-Ann) all take refuge in the USC Coliseum, and we're left waiting to see what happens next. And there's a conspiracy afoot as to what caused this outbreak, involving a group of safely bunkered scientists. It's not terribly original, but it's a helluva ride.
And I doubt it'll ever get made. Pity too. If Fox doesn't think there's an audience for this, they're out of their Prison-Breakin' minds.

Well, that's it for Network Apocalypse Dramas '06. There's still People On The Run From Government Conspiracy Dramas, Cops With Quirky Abilities Dramas, and Sexy Secrets in the Suburbs Dramas. Again, at least one for each network. I guess this says something about the networks views on the zeitgeist of America. Of course, they also think we want a new Paul Reiser sitcom (wacky used car salesmen!).
Old 02-13-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm perfectly willing to admit that these all might (probably will) suck... but I'm also intrigued enough to watch every single one of them.
Old 02-13-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Yeah I'm with b-boi up there. All of these sound at least interesting, though they also sound like they could peter out over time. Why can't they plan these like mini-series, or like BBC series, where you have a short, but guaranteed run of episodes. Even if it didn't do well on TV, the DVD sales would likely make up for it.

That Heroes one kinda reminds me of a comic series that's simmered in the back of my mind for years. A world without superheroes, where a few people starting getting small, but unique powers, and have to cope with them. My twist: there is no superhero fiction in this world, so they have no idea how to act.
Old 02-13-06, 05:50 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He didn't seem to answer why the Hero show was 100%. I'm a sucker for superheroes so I'm really looking forward to that one. I'd probably watch any of the others too. I love end of the world type stuff.
Old 02-13-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like it might be a bit costly if there are tons of super heroes (FX wise), so that may be why. It's the only reason I can think of.

He says 0% chance for the zombie series, but who knows...I'd love to see that. Hopefully it gets made.
Old 02-13-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is casting info for the Super Hero show from thefutoncritic.com

"HEROES (NBC) - Greg Grunberg ("Alias"), Ali Larter ("Final Destination"), Hayden Panettiere ("The Book of Daniel"), Santiago Cabrera ("Empire"), Tawny Cypress ("Jonny Zero"), Masi Oka ("Scrubs") and Sendhil Ramamurthy ("NUMB3RS") have all been cast in the two-hour drama pilot, about a group of regular people who discover that they have superpowers. No details about their respective characters were released. Tim Kring is behind the project, which comes from NBC Universal Television and Tailwind Productions. Also joining the pilot is David Semel ("House") who will direct the project from a script by Kring."
Old 02-13-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'll check out Heroes, and I've give UZP a shot. Not too interested in House or Jericho.

I'll take millions of end-of-the-worlds, if they would just stop with the 'reality' or 'famous people doing stupid crap' shows.
Old 02-13-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how willing I am to trust a writer who doesn't know the difference between "succeed" and "secede".
Old 02-13-06, 10:32 PM

Those all seem pretty interesting...guess I'll have to set up some Tivo season passes.
Old 02-13-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Skeet Ulrich Starring in CBS' Jericho
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Skeet Ulrich (Scream) will star in the nuclear-apocalypse drama pilot Jericho for CBS, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Jericho, executive produced by filmmakers Ridley and Tony Scott, chronicles the chaos that ensues in a small town that becomes isolated from the rest of the world after a nuclear disaster.

Ulrich will play the mayor's youngest son, who becomes an unlikely leader in the volatile situation.

Also cast in the pilot is Erik Knudsen (Saw II) as an orphaned character who was raised in a trailer park.
Old 02-13-06, 10:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Jericho = Invasion
Old 02-14-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ooooh, they all sound good.

I give each of them two weeks on the air.
Old 02-14-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Heroes sounds good, but that's it.
Old 02-14-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll give all of them a chance, because that's just the kind of guy I am. Although I bet only one out of the four makes it on the air.
Old 02-14-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the networks want to do a weekly zombie show, the comic-book series Walking Dead should be the one they base it on.
Old 02-14-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A cop, a criminal, two teenagers, a cute kid, a homeless guy, a Korean Woman with an arsenal
Gimme a break with those cliched characters.

I applaud the fact that they're trying, and those shows do sound very interesting, but if it any of them do make the air, the networks will add 40 gallons of water to dillute into something worthless.
Old 02-14-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why not just pick up the rights to:

Old 02-14-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I think they all sound good, I hope the House one is not a FoxNews tilted show, the writer seemed to make half the description describing what liberals would do to this country. I will watch these all, but I bet not one stays on, and if one makes it; it will not be the best one.
Old 02-14-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
I hope the House one is not a FoxNews tilted show, the writer seemed to make half the description describing what liberals would do to this country.
You could certainly make the argument there's already series out there that go with "liberal good, conservative bad/evil": West Wing, Boston Legal, even Family Guy and American Dad to name a couple.
Old 02-14-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
I hope they all have laugh tracks ...
Old 02-14-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
If the networks want to do a weekly zombie show, the comic-book series Walking Dead should be the one they base it on.

Chew, you read my mind. I was about to mention that. But, it would have to be on Showtime or HBO. It's sad because Kirkman (the creator of Walking Dead) is for the comic to be adapted to the screen.