Old 02-03-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
And Rosebud was
Spoiler:
his sled
. Spoilerized in case Gdrlv needs another 66 years to see "Citizen Kane."
Trying to think of an acceptable way to respond to this post without getting myself banned from this forum, but I can't do it. Not sure why my post offended you so badly or why you're treating me like I'm a raging asshole for being irritated that a movie that's only a year old was ruined for me before I could watch it...ruined on a national network television show, no less.
Old 02-03-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone is treating anyone like a raging asshole here, but it is clear that there are some very strong opinions about the issue and some very strong opinions about the very strong opinions of others.

What I don't get is how this ruined the movie. I don't get that at all. Surely, you have seen films that you knew about going in. Didn't you enjoy them? Why are some people so worried about being spoiled?
Old 02-03-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I don't think anyone is treating anyone like a raging asshole here, but it is clear that there are some very strong opinions about the issue and some very strong opinions about the very strong opinions of others.

What I don't get is how this ruined the movie. I don't get that at all. Surely, you have seen films that you knew about going in. Didn't you enjoy them? Why are some people so worried about being spoiled?
If my words above were harsh, I apologize. However, Mr. Salty's snide comment about Citizen Kane was unwarranted and unnecessary. He apparently came into this thread looking to pick a fight and was (I'm sure) quite pleased with himself over his oh-so-witty remark.

However, as he even admits in his post, Citizen Kane is nearly 70 years old and is firmly entrenched in pop culture, as are Star Wars and The Sixth Sense. Million Dollar Baby came out last year. And if anyone thinks that Million Dollar Baby is anywhere near as much a part of "pop culture" as these other movies, well, then they're delusional.

Also, while I may still watch the film, the spoiler seems to be a very major plot point and apparently quite the surprise when it occurs. Of course it's going to change how I watch and enjoy the movie. Did you see the movie? Would you have been happy going into it knowing how it ends?
Old 02-03-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
If my words above were harsh, I apologize. However, Mr. Salty's snide comment about Citizen Kane was unwarranted and unnecessary. He apparently came into this thread looking to pick a fight and was (I'm sure) quite pleased with himself over his oh-so-witty remark.
You may want to re-read the thread. Mr. Salty made that comment in response to an attack by another user, not to your original post. He did reference you, but I got the sense that he was using sarcasm to mock the attacker and not suggesting he really thought you would object to a CK spoiler.

Also, while I may still watch the film, the spoiler seems to be a very major plot point and apparently quite the surprise when it occurs. Of course it's going to change how I watch and enjoy the movie. Did you see the movie? Would you have been happy going into it knowing how it ends?
I have not seen the film, but I can still answer the question. I'm perfectly happy knowing how the film ends. I found out about The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects prior to watching them, and it didn't impact my enjoyment. That's one reason why I'm asking the question -- I'd like to hear about your opposing point of view.
Old 02-03-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to re-read the thread. Mr. Salty made that comment in response to an attack by another user, not to your original post. He did reference you, but I got the sense that he was using sarcasm to mock the attacker and not suggesting he really thought you would object to a CK spoiler.
Yes, thank you Jimmy. That was exactly my point.
Old 02-03-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Not sure why my post offended you so badly or why you're treating me like I'm a raging asshole for being irritated that a movie that's only a year old was ruined for me before I could watch it...
That's kind of the point.
You had a whole year to watch it! and now you're all upset because it was "spoiled" for you.
Well, you should have seen it in 2005 like everybody else, for chrissakes.
Old 02-03-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it needs to be said that as far as I'm concerned, the OP can choose to watch or not to watch Four Kings for any or no reason. I don't think the complaint is a particularly compelling one, but my involvement in the thread stems from the suggestion that absolutely nobody should discuss any detail of any entertainment product from any era without getting a 75 page release from anyone who might hear it.
Old 02-03-06, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
Poor seth.... he cant find a job... and now he is on a show called Four Dicks...
No "Poor Seth" about it, he's the biggest reason the show sucks. It wouldn't be great, but it would be a lot more watchable if he wasn't on it. Sure his character is supposed to be whiney and annoying, but he just takes it over the top in my opinion.

Sorry about spoiling Seth's character for anyone that's still on the fence.
Old 02-03-06, 04:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it needs to be said that as far as I'm concerned, the OP can choose to watch or not to watch Four Kings for any or no reason. I don't think the complaint is a particularly compelling one, but my involvement in the thread stems from the suggestion that absolutely nobody should discuss any detail of any entertainment product from any era without getting a 75 page release from anyone who might hear it.
There's a difference between "discussing any detail of any entertainment product" and blurting out THE major plot twist to something without warning. If I walk in on a conversation about a movie I haven't seen, I'll simply do my best to avoid listening. But if someone walks up to me and says "Will Smith dies at the end of Hitch!" or "The killer in Finding Nemo turns out to be Buzz Lightyear!" (not real spoilers ) before I have a chance to do anything, that's just uncalled for. I don't care how many months the movie has been out or how many chances I've had to see it. It shouldn't have to be a race to see every movie released within a year of its opening just so you can avoid pointless spoilers.
Old 02-03-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
There's a difference between "discussing any detail of any entertainment product" and blurting out THE major plot twist to something without warning.
I can accept that, but it wasn't the position of the person whose response got me involved.

If I walk in on a conversation about a movie I haven't seen, I'll simply do my best to avoid listening. But if someone walks up to me and says "Will Smith dies at the end of Hitch!" or "The killer in Finding Nemo turns out to be Buzz Lightyear!" (not real spoilers ) before I have a chance to do anything, that's just uncalled for.
I'd personally run away if I ever had that happen. It sounds like that person is crazy.

I don't care how many months the movie has been out or how many chances I've had to see it. It shouldn't have to be a race to see every movie released within a year of its opening just so you can avoid pointless spoilers.
We have to balance that against entertainment, though. When a show set in New York involving a number of friends makes reference to something like a science fiction heroine by having one of the cast members dress up like the heroine, it increases our entertainment. There are some things that are assimilated into the lexicon of pop culture, and the spoiler at issue is one of them. When you choose to submit yourself to the whims of the people behind a new show or a movie, you run the risk that they're going to tap into that lexicon. I think everyone has a right to judge that by whatever standard they choose, including having no standard. I think we have to acknowledge that this isn't like the situation you mention above involving a loudmouth running about a park telling strangers that Austin Powers was really a figment of Dr. Evil's imagination.

ETA: Let's put it another way -- we know somebody was very upset about this. Do you doubt that there are people out there whose enjoyment was enhanced as a result of this choice?

ETA2: You only have to look to the thread about The Office from this week to see an example of a different sitcom spoiling a detail of another show to great praise from all involved around here.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 02-03-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 05:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=Jimmy James]We have to balance that against entertainment, though. When a show set in New York involving a number of friends makes reference to something like a science fiction heroine by having one of the cast members dress up like the heroine, it increases our entertainment. There are some things that are assimilated into the lexicon of pop culture, and the spoiler at issue is one of them. When you choose to submit yourself to the whims of the people behind a new show or a movie, you run the risk that they're going to tap into that lexicon. I think everyone has a right to judge that by whatever standard they choose, including having no standard. I think we have to acknowledge that this isn't like the situation you mention above involving a loudmouth running about a park telling strangers that Austin Powers was really a figment of Dr. Evil's imagination.[/spoiler]

That's all true. But by this logic it would also be okay to randomly spoil Brokeback Mountain or any other new movie, provided it provided SOMEONE entertainment.

I'd personally run away if I ever had that happen. It sounds like that person is crazy.
But essentially the gag was the same thing, right?

ETA: Let's put it another way -- we know somebody was very upset about this. Do you doubt that there are people out there whose enjoyment was enhanced as a result of this choice?
Perhaps, although I'm guessing those people would enjoy just about anything.

ETA2: You only have to look to the thread about The Office from this week to see an example of a different sitcom spoiling a detail of another show to great praise from all involved around here.
Assuming you're referring to
Spoiler:
Dwight mentioning the Lost gang meeting the Others
, to me that goes back to the "plot detail vs huge spoiler" thing I mentioned earlier. I don't consider that a huge twist that the entire work revolves around.
Old 02-03-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
That's all true. But by this logic it would also be okay to randomly spoil Brokeback Mountain or any other new movie, provided it provided SOMEONE entertainment.
I don't think it necessarily even hinges on whether it provided someone entertainment -- it hinges on whether the persons involved in creating the work had reason to believe that it might provide some entertainment.

I hate to tell you this, but there is a show on TV I'm aware of (and watch) that spoiled King Kong, Brokeback Mountain, and Memoirs of a Geisha. There isn't as much there to spoil, but it certainly happened. I agree that it's okay. Anyone who watches should be on notice from the past behavior of the show. Four Kings doesn't have that going for it in this case, but that's where the assumed risk comes in.

But essentially the gag was the same thing, right?
You mean the gag on the show? I couldn't say. I didn't watch the show. The scenario you mentioned doesn't fit the facts of the situation (where our OP sat down and intended to watch Four Kings).

Assuming you're referring to
Spoiler:
Dwight mentioning the Lost gang meeting the Others
, to me that goes back to the "plot detail vs huge spoiler" thing I mentioned earlier. I don't consider that a huge twist that the entire work revolves around.
It's funny you feel that way. The persons involved in that thread hesitated to even provide a spoilerized recap because they considered the information to be so damaging to the enjoyment of the show.
Old 02-03-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look, I've gone after more than a couple of people around here for posting spoilers without warnings, and I'm about as anti-spoiler as you can get. But one has to expect that the older a movie gets, the more likely people are to openly discuss its secrets under the assumption that anyone who gives a damn about seeing the movie will have seen it.
I appreciate your civility.
You have a good agrument if we're talking about a movie that's even remotely current, but it's just not practical to think people can avoid exposure to every plot twist from every movie ever made. The urgency for secrecy does diminish over time and the likelihood of accidentally hearing something you don't want to hear grows.

It sucks, but it's no one's fault. It's just natural.
I agree that people just assume it's alright to spoil old films, and I tolerate it - but that's different from accepting it, nor should people who appreciate films allow it. Knowledge of old films isn't innate, and these days people attempt to get into the classics, as opposed to growing up with them. Telling someone what happens in the film removes a level of enjoyment that they won't be able to gain. This goes for old films and the newer ones.

That is the most ridiculous standard I think I have ever seen.
I'm sure it isn't; after all, you go on to use rape and murder as tools for your argument.

Last I checked, nobody asked him to watch the show.
By the same token, he didn't ask to have [b]Million Dollar Baby[/b spoiled.

Are my words harsh? Yes. Are they warranted? I thought so. That's my opinion. It's just that. It's not a fact, though it is a fact that it is my opinion.
I understand the difference between facts and opinion, Jimmy. I stand by my statement, which you could not disprove.
Old 02-03-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I'm sure it isn't; after all, you go on to use rape and murder as tools for your argument.
I don't use them as tools at all. I offered a reality check on your extreme hyperbole.

By the same token, he didn't ask to have Million Dollar Baby spoiled.
I have no problem with him choosing to hold that against the show. I do have a problem with things said in this thread after the OP finished.

I understand the difference between facts and opinion, Jimmy. I stand by my statement, which you could not disprove.
No, you apparently do not understand the difference between facts and opinion. Your "factual" statement was, "[s]poiling films is a deplorable action, and people who defend such idiocy need to have less contempt for other humans."

You have the burden all wrong. It is your burden to demonstrate that they are facts, not my burden to establish that they are opinions. Here is the definition of opinion. You'll see the burden within the very definition of opinion:

"A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof"
Old 02-03-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I can't belive it wasn't spoiled for you until now. The New York Times ran an article with a spoiler for MDB in the headline. Then USA Today ran an article criticizing the NY Times for spoiling in the headline. That was like a month after the movie was in theaters. Still an entertaining movie go watch it.
Old 02-03-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to edit your original post to say something like "major MDB spoiler below." I haven't seen MDB yet either and didn't realize that was what was in your spoilerized text.
Old 02-03-06, 08:46 PM

I haven't seen MDB and I didn't care. I almost thought it was a joke, but it wouldn't stop me from seeing the movie.. which I won't.
Old 02-03-06, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Thanks for spoiling MDB for me as well. Next you're going to tell me Bambi's mom dies!
Old 02-03-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

posted by DGR
It shouldn't have to be a race to see every movie released within a year of its opening just so you can avoid pointless spoilers.
How is seeing a movie within a year of it's release "a race"?
Old 02-04-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
How is seeing a movie within a year of it's release "a race"?
If somebody actually expects to never be spoiled about a single movie, that would mean they'd have to see every movie released. Seeing any one film within a year of its release is no challenge, but seeing all films within a year of release would be a monumental one.
Old 02-04-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing any one film within a year of its release is no challenge, but seeing all films within a year of release would be a monumental one.
But there's just a couple films released each year containing plot twists that people are urged to keep a secret so as not to spoil it for others.

And that those films --like Million Dollar Baby, The Sixth Sense, The Crying Game-- have A BIG SECRET is publicized endlessly.

So my feeling is: When such a film comes along, and you want to have "the pure viewing experience"... Get your ass into the theater.
Old 02-04-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
The movie has been out for well over a year, won best picture and was the subject of much open discussion because of the controversy over the ending.

The world isn't going to wait for you forever. You have no one to blame but yourself.
Funny thing is that, until the OP's spoilerized text, I didn't know anything about that film other than it was about a girl that wanted Clint Eastwood to train her as a boxer. Oh well, if I hadn't bothered to see the film already, I probably never will.
Old 02-05-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Won most of the major Oscars. Was nearly universal praised by critics.[/SIZE]
Of course, those two criteria are the sole way to judge whether someone will like a film...
Old 02-05-06, 07:28 PM

Well I think if you haven't seen it, you would be upset at the ending disclosed on an ass shatty show like "Four Kings." Frankly I've never heard of anything like this before, a year isn't 5 or 10...

Isn't "Four Kings" over anyway? It's a horrendous show...
Old 02-05-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe this person is so upset. Movies are a visual medium. It's more than just the plot.

Spoiler:
Scarlett Johansson dies and Chris gets away with it all

Have fun with that one whiners.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.