Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best of the new Midseason

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of the new Midseason

I think there were a couple very good midseason replacements this year. Of all the ones I watched I didnt hate any of them - though I won't bother watching Crumbs again.

Love Monkey
Book of Daniel
In Justice
Four Kings

all are at least watchable. And aside from Four Kings I'd considder them actually pretty good.
Old 01-28-06, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I scroll down the forum and see that Book of Daniel already got the Axe. Bloody hell.
Old 01-28-06, 11:20 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love Monkey is great so far and I really liked Book of Daniel, but you're actually selling mid-season short. There's still plenty of premieres to come, especially in March. Anybody know what happened to The Unit? I haven't heard anything about it in awhile.
Old 01-28-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, CRUMBS is the only one I've really enjoyed so far. Gave Emily a shot (simply dreadful), Four Kings was like a throwback but without any real humor, and Book of Daniel was a major disappointment - I watched all 3 episodes that were broadcast, but liked each one less and less.
Old 01-28-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love, love, love me some Love Monkey.

I never saw Book of Daniel, In Justice I've only seen one ep, and it's not bad, will watch more. Crumbs I thought was horrid and I could not even make it through the entire Four Kings pilot. Emily was bland but watchable, but that's already gone.
Old 01-28-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I like In Justice.

I gave Crumbs a couple shots, but just couldn't get into it.
Old 01-28-06, 12:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I like In Justice.

Never watched Crumbs and didn't care for Four Kings or Daniel.
Old 01-28-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot all about Emily's Reasons. That was utter craptacular. Couldn't finish the pilot.

There's 1 or two more shows I'm looking at. And I really don' know what they are called. I think both are crime dramas one is set in San Francisco and the other is trying to be CSI but having the audience solve the crime. May actually be the same show.
Old 01-28-06, 06:54 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I love, love, love me some Love Monkey.

I never saw Book of Daniel, In Justice I've only seen one ep, and it's not bad, will watch more. Crumbs I thought was horrid and I could not even make it through the entire Four Kings pilot. Emily was bland but watchable, but that's already gone.
For those who are basing their decision about Four Kings on the pilot, you may want to give the show another shot. The first episode was indeed AWFUL. However, the second episode was better. I actually enjoyed the third episode. Haven't watched the fourth yet.
Old 01-28-06, 07:12 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I like In Justice and Four Kings.
Old 01-28-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Four Kings. Horrible.
Love Love Monkey.
Old 01-29-06, 05:14 AM

Is jake in progress already gone to?
Old 01-29-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by shawagg
Is jake in progress already gone to?
Yes. Not officially cancelled but they have stopped production of the show. It's uncertain if ABC will air the remaining episodes.
Old 01-29-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Four Kings had an absolutely awful pilot, and the second episode wasn't much better. However, the last couple of episodes have been much better, though it's still not a very good show.

The only thing that's kept me watching is that there's nothing else worth watching in that time slot.
Old 01-30-06, 01:35 AM

Love Monkey is pretty solid.
Old 01-30-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JM
For those who are basing their decision about Four Kings on the pilot, you may want to give the show another shot. The first episode was indeed AWFUL. However, the second episode was better. I actually enjoyed the third episode. Haven't watched the fourth yet.
I am just not a fan of sitcoms in general. Unless it is bringing something new to the table, like Arrested Development, The Office, or My Name Is Earl, I usually find the sitcom format to be tired and stale. The only traditional sitcom I watch is How I Met My Mother, and that show is just on the bubble for me.

Four Kings just did not seem like it was bringing anything new to the format.
Old 01-30-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Four kings really isnt anything new. Just another young 20's buddy com. I have an infatuation (read boy crush) on Seth Green so that got me watching. It isn't anything special (No where near as good as AD, Scrubs, or the Office), but I'll keep watching. There are very few sitcoms I watch currently, so even a mediocre one I somewhat enjoy has a leg up.

Jadzia do you watch Entourage? I really don't want to call it a sitcom, but I if I had to I would. It is nothing like a normal sitcom though. Best thing on TV when it is on.
Old 01-30-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Monkey gets my vote.
Old 01-30-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I have only seen 2 of those, 4 Kings and Book of Daniel. 4K is horrible. I would watch Book of Daniel, but I had schedule conflict with 3 other shows and could not catch it, and I refuse to catch the midnight BSG. I think I would like Love Monkey, but again it is behind 3 other shows and looses.
Old 01-30-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crumbs

Four Kings
Old 01-30-06, 11:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Of the new shows, I'm only watching Love Monkey (and liking it).
Old 01-30-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Love Monkey is great

Crumbs has a very funny premise but just doesn't deliver. Gave it three shots, only marginally funny, so it's gone.

Four Kings, nothing special.

So really, for me, just Love Monkey, which I hope continues to get better as it finds itself
Old 01-30-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Liking LOVE MONKEY...but... the only problem I have with it, is that it's the show's creators idea of what someone would want you to think was cool, other than what actually is...if you know what I mean.

Here he's championing this kid Wayne (Teddy Geiger in reality, first seen NOT making the cut for VH1's "The New Partridge Family - in hindsight, a blessing in disguise) - who sounds like a second rate John Mayer, and there's already enough of those to begin with, so what makes him so great? But, it's a semi- fictional universe, so I can deal with it, I suppose. But, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Other than that, it's pretty spot on (this coming from someone who's actually in the buisness) - and I dig it. Especially like that they dug up the Odds "Someone Who's Cool" (from '97) for the theme song, even if it's not the original.
Old 01-31-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried watching all the new shows, and the only one I'm sticking with is Love Monkey. It's very much like Ed in New York City. Tom Cavanagh is a great actor, and I love the music.

I liked Book of Daniel, but apparently I'm in the minority. Crumbs and Four Kings got the three episode shot. After three episodes, I just didn't find them funny, so they got deleted from my Season Pass list.
Old 01-31-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, I couldnt get through 4 Kings at all everytime Ive tried to it...I havent watched anything else, although Love Monkey piques my interest a little, but I dont know when its on. I need to get a TV guide or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.