Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Wasn't "Book of Daniel" supposed to be on tonight?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

It says so on the info of my sat listing but all I see is Law & Order. What gives?
Old 01-27-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was canceled and pulled from NBC's schedule.
Old 01-27-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What? When did this happen?
Old 01-27-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forums.dvdtalk.com/showthread...book+of+daniel

I don't think there was a specific thread discussing it, but this one has some information.
Old 01-27-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-28-06, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can watch the unaired episodes on NBC's website. They are showing one per week until the series is complete:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_of_Daniel/
Old 01-28-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It became yet more proof that the many "religious" people are really ignorant sheep, and will believe that something is evil just because someone else (that also probably never saw it) told them so.

Of course if there were better ratings, I'm sure NBC would have kept it on the air and told Donald Wildmon and his flock of sheeple to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 01-28-06, 09:46 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It became yet more proof that the many "religious" people are really ignorant sheep, and will believe that something is evil just because someone else (that also probably never saw it) told them so.

Of course if there were better ratings, I'm sure NBC would have kept it on the air and told Donald Wildmon and his flock of sheeple to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

so which is it?
"religious" censorship or nobody watched
Old 01-28-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Autumn
You can watch the unaired episodes on NBC's website. They are showing one per week until the series is complete:
Sweet, thanks for the link.
Old 01-28-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Philzilla
so which is it?
I think it shows how powerful people like Wildmon really are. The influence of people like him, Robertson, Falwell, etc. is always downplayed in the media when they make outrageous statements, but there are a lot of people who take them 100% seriously.
Old 01-28-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's a big mistake (and a display of arrogance) for Wildmon or any other conservative leader to claim credit for the cancellation of this series.

Anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I am in extreme opposition to these "defenders" of our values - but none the less, even I couldn't stick it out with this series. It simply was not good. And because it was not good, people did not watch. The ratings dropped each week, because even those of us who were looking forward to this show were walking away.
Old 01-28-06, 11:15 AM

Believe it or not, but I believe most people can watch or hear about something and decide if it is offending to them or not a type of show they want to watch. So I would not give the idiot from AFA all of the credit.
Old 01-28-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as you have Internet Explorer and a Windows OS.

I guess I'm going to have to try and sneak this in at work, but, yes, thanks for the link!
Old 01-28-06, 06:00 PM
Banned

Yes there are people who take pat Robertson, Falwell seriously just like there are people who take Micheal Moore, Harry Belafonte seriously.
Old 01-28-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It says so on the info of my sat listing but all I see is Law & Order. What gives?
It was everywhere. How could you miss it?
Old 01-28-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
heh, racking my mind trying to figure out why i dvr'd law and order last night.
Old 01-29-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so which is it?

Hard to watch when your local affiliate stations drop it even before it ever airs a single episode simply on the idea that it's a preacher that is addicted to pain killers with a boozed up wife, one gay son, one player son and one drug selling daughter.

It's not censorship though. It's simply ignorance.
Old 01-29-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is a show that portrays Christians with their warts and all considered anti-Christian? I guess that makes the Bible anti Christian, because it exposes far more warts and all than NBC or any other network would be willing to expose. From the first murder to Lot having incestious relations with his daughters right down to Jesus being born in the family line of a prostitute and down through all the human faults of the apostles, and so much more, the day to day problems of the families and church members in Book of Daniel hardly seem all that bad. And their portrayal of Jesus was not blasphemous, unless you can't imagine Jesus actually acting real and having a sense of humor, which He did have a sense of humor.

AFA won a battle, yes, but Christians will still have to face their peronal demons, and all the things that plague the world, such as divorce, drunkeness, homosexuality, incest, child molestation, and all the more, will still happen in the Church, but I guess if we don't talk about it on TV, it's OK. But you know, the last time I checked, the people who have problems, and the warts and all are at least going to church, where they can find the blood of Christ, which can change them. I guess I just don't understand having a TV program that shows that journey for some could be so horrible.
Old 01-29-06, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the religous pressures are what got the show remove from the schedule early.

Friday night airing, unable to find an audience and extreme content all contributed to the low ratings.

The second and sunsequent week showed huge drop in audience. This cannot be attributed to the controversy and christian pressure, since the controversy peeked before the first episode aired.

I personally thought it was a great show. DH with the emphasis on drama instead instead of comedy. Very well presented with intelligent scripts and top notch acting. It was almost as if the cast had been together for years.

Reminds me of Jack & Bobby. The last 6 episodes of Jack & Bobby were some of the best TV I have ever watched.
Old 01-29-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so which is it?
It's a combination of both. Several markets never gave it a single airing thanks to ignorant religious fanatics that believe whatever they were told about the show. That certainly got the ball rolling.

Then the low ratings (thanks to an almost total lack of promotion of the show) gave NBC the easy way out.

I think that if there hadn't been such an outcry from the sheeple, they would have let the show run a few more episodes at least before cancelling it.
Old 01-29-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that Kelly Hu I see in the "previously on" part of the video that starts playing?

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-29-06 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-29-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show was canceled for three reasons listed in order of weight.

1. Lack of advertiser support due to controversial nature of the show.
2. Lack of viewers
3. Show was over the top and (debatably) not very good to begin with. Execs did not believe it had the potential to gain an audience.

Cancelation of TV series are based on one thing and one thing only - does the show have the potential to make the network money. All three reasons above boil down to that. Protests by interest groups play absolutely no part unless they affect the bottom line. For an example, look no further than NYPD Blue.
Old 01-29-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by moocher
This show was canceled for three reasons listed in order of weight.

1. Lack of advertiser support due to controversial nature of the show.
2. Lack of viewers
3. Show was over the top and (debatably) not very good to begin with. Execs did not believe it had the potential to gain an audience.

Cancelation of TV series are based on one thing and one thing only - does the show have the potential to make the network money. All three reasons above boil down to that. Protests by interest groups play absolutely no part unless they affect the bottom line. For an example, look no further than NYPD Blue.
You're too dismissive of the impact of the religious reich. They actually managed to keep several markets from ever airing the show.

As I said above, if this was not a supposedly "controversial" show, it most likely would have been allowed to go a little longer at this pace before being cancelled.
Old 01-29-06, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
You're too dismissive of the impact of the religious reich. They actually managed to keep several markets from ever airing the show.

As I said above, if this was not a supposedly "controversial" show, it most likely would have been allowed to go a little longer at this pace before being cancelled.
You're putting too much stock in the religious reich. As someone said earlier, this controversy is the same as when NYPD Blue came out. Advertisers wouldn't back the show, small markets wouldn't carry it, different groups petitioned against its airing, but in the end, it turned out to be a great show and it shouldered the criticism. Book of Daniel was just shit! I think for me the main problem I had was they tried to cram too many "deviant" personalities/situations on at once.
As for the marketing of BOD, I saw the ads for this show so often I could recite them. They were everywhere, from TV, to newspapers, to radio, and there is no better advertisement than controversy. No matter why you believe it was canceled, simple truth is if it was garnering NBC viewers, ie. making NBC money it would still be on.
Old 01-29-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Hard to watch when your local affiliate stations drop it even before it ever airs a single episode simply on the idea that it's a preacher that is addicted to pain killers with a boozed up wife, one gay son, one player son and one drug selling daughter.

It's not censorship though. It's simply ignorance.
Are you saying that being gay is an analog to being addicted to pain killers, being an alcoholic, or a drug dealer?

On a lighter note, I go to a pretty wacko church. I am the most liberal guy in the most conservative church in town. Went to adult Sunday school for the first time in a long time and they announced that they had cancelled the Book of Daniel. This met with applause, etc. My very first thought was, "They finally did it. They got rid of a book in the Bible....what a bunch of loons."

As was said earlier, if this show didn't suck, it wouldn't have been canceled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.