Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I start watching Smallville again?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-27-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I stopped watching midway into Season three. I just wasn't enjoying the episodes anymore. Has this show gotten any better? I am thinking about starting to watch again, I would start on season one. Is it worth it?
Old 01-27-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched for the first time last night. Wasn't as bad as I had expected. The
Spoiler:
funeral
scene looked great in HD.

So.. nothing to add, but looking forward to responses to your thread as well. My GF has all of the seasons so I could catch up without spending any $$.

Crud! Edit to add spoiler tags. Sorry.

Last edited by BassDude; 01-27-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, if you dropped it because you weren't enjoying the episodes anymore after season three: you aren't going to enjoy it now.

The episodes I actually like are greatly outweighed by the ones I don't. I still watch out of a sense of requirement as a comic geek.
Old 01-27-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Sure - they just hit the reset button again.
Old 01-27-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
The episodes I actually like are greatly outweighed by the ones I don't. I still watch out of a sense of requirement as a comic geek.

Same for me, although I would include Lois and Chloe's assets as reasons as well.
Old 01-27-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The show has only changed slightly since previous seasons. It has a slicker presentation (music video style), but ultimately it is freak of the week, with a minimal story arc and HUGE reset button.

I really am not sure what everyone expects from Smallville. I don't think they are going to alter the show too much from the established format.

Just from reading this board, I think many of the fans here want a larger commitment to story arc and less episodic content. The problem with serial shows is that when a viewer leaves for any length of time, it is more difficult to get them back. With episodic TV you can just advertise a major event and they will come flocking back. Really the only thing that has happened in the last 4 years is that Clark got laid and what happened on this most recent episode.
Old 01-27-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hippie68
I stopped watching midway into Season three. I just wasn't enjoying the episodes anymore. Has this show gotten any better? I am thinking about starting to watch again, I would start on season one. Is it worth it?
Is it better? Not really. Just about the same as it's been since day one. I continue watching for one reason: Kristen Kreuk. Yes, I'm shallow.
Old 01-27-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sure - they just hit the reset button again.
Old 01-27-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think season 3 was probrobly the worst season so far. Season 4 and 5 are a bit better but not up to par with season 1 and 2.
Old 01-27-06, 11:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

"You know what the definition of insanity is? Performing the same task over and over and expecting different results."

Old 01-27-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Minus the filler crap they include between seasons (Vampire episode) and the shit that was shown last night... I'd say don't waste your time.

I've been an avid fan of the show since Season I and yesterday's episode has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the rest of the series.
Old 01-27-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Ayre
I really am not sure what everyone expects from Smallville. I don't think they are going to alter the show too much from the established format.
You mean other than having a black Pete or introducing a Lois that looks like she's close to menopause before Clark hits Metropolis.

Unless you're talking about the show's "established format". Which involves liberal use of the aforementioned

Old 01-27-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
You mean other than having a black Pete or introducing a Lois that looks like she's close to menopause before Clark hits Metropolis.
I know this was only established in the extended cut of the movie, but a 8-10 year old Lois on the train turning into Margot Kidder Lois at the Daily Planet only about 12 years later isn't much better.
Old 01-27-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Unless you're talking about the show's "established format". Which involves liberal use of the aforementioned
That is exactly what I meant. I thought I made it clear within the context of my other paragraphs that I was talking about the shows format.

Last edited by Ayre; 01-27-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I know this was only established in the extended cut of the movie, but a 8-10 year old Lois on the train turning into Margot Kidder Lois at the Daily Planet only about 12 years later isn't much better.

I just started this show before Christmas. I'm about 8 episodes into season 2 and one thing along the lines of what you are saying is all the characters ages. They haven't specifically said, but the episode with Jonathan Taylor Thomas hints at them being Sophomores, which would mean Freshmen in season 1. Freshmen = 14 years old. None of the actors are good enough to pull that off. That is a big stretch. They all looked like seniors the first season. I know it is common for tv shows, but they are pushing it with this show.

I've read that the show goes downhill which is disheartening, but good to see some people in this thread back it up. Gives me a little hope when I get to those other seasons.
Old 01-27-06, 02:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I just started this show before Christmas. I'm about 8 episodes into season 2 and one thing along the lines of what you are saying is all the characters ages. They haven't specifically said, but the episode with Jonathan Taylor Thomas hints at them being Sophomores, which would mean Freshmen in season 1. Freshmen = 14 years old. None of the actors are good enough to pull that off. That is a big stretch. They all looked like seniors the first season. I know it is common for tv shows, but they are pushing it with this show.
Yeah, I think that is the case. Season 4 is senior year and
Spoiler:
ends with their graduation.
Old 01-28-06, 04:50 PM
Banned

Smallville is what it is. At this point in the game, they're not about to change.
Old 01-28-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the show gonna end this season? Just wondering if we're going to have a Superman movie AND Smallville at the same time?
Old 01-29-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You know, the last episode I thought they actually were going to progress with the story line and make the characters actually do something different than have Clark almost tell his secret but then not doing so. The first 30 minutes was a complete opposite of what Smallville normally is.. you know, actual story progression.. then the second half hour reminded me what smallville is all about.

It's not worth watching.. no not at all.
Old 01-29-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
No.
Old 01-29-06, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only bother watching 2 shows on TV anymore and this is one of the 2.

I admit that Season 3 was a real hurdle. Getting past that season was a real trial for fans but a number of us made it. The Freak Of The Weak stuff got real old and it's nice to see it gone but I'm still unsure if the show is ready to tackle more complex. This past week was a great episode, despite a few flaws, but the preview for next week didn't impress me. The shot really takes off now and then but after a show or two it panics and hits the brakes like an old person behind the wheel. The writers need to grow a set and run with some huge storyline and not wimp out.
Old 01-29-06, 09:42 AM

I wasn't very impressed with most of season 1, but LOVED season 2. Then 3 happened, which was aight, but I kinda stopped watching. Then started again on 4, and there were
Spoiler:
crystals and witches and magic...
oh my.

So for me, season 5 is the best one since 2. It's the first time they've really had some true progression, albeit miniscule. I just wish they didn't have 2 more seasons to go. And the creators are now putting all their time and energy into an Aquaman TV show. Remember how good the X-Files got once Chris Carter started trying to do something else? oh...wait...
Old 01-30-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You know, the last episode I thought they actually were going to progress with the story line and make the characters actually do something different than have Clark almost tell his secret but then not doing so. The first 30 minutes was a complete opposite of what Smallville normally is.. you know, actual story progression.. then the second half hour reminded me what smallville is all about.
That's my exact problem with this last episode. They tease you with the promise that the show is finally going to progress from its typical one step forward, twenty steps back routine and they hit the damned reset button.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-31-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-30-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I quit then too, it felt like a show in its Ninth season. I'm surprised still on air actually, no even talks about it much anymore.
Old 01-30-06, 12:02 PM
Suspended

I just started watching this on HDNet. They just happened to be airing the pilot last Thursday afternoon, and it seems they are going in order, so I'm watching it. S3 or S4 is being aired on Monday or Tuesday nights as well, but I'm not recording them because I'll probably run out of space. Hopefully they keep going with the afternoon airings. I liked the pilot, haven't ever watched an episode before.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.