Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's that time again... yet another DishNet vs DirecTV thread...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After finally making the plunge on an HDTV, we still haven't upgraded our satellite service to get an actual HD signal. Just got off the phone with a Dish salesman who was offering all manner of discounts on the various equipment if we switch away from DirecTV, but there's some things I've just got to know...

- Which do people prefer? I personally can't stand the standard DirecTV receivers, as they've been nothing but slow and clunky ever since we got them, but we've been happy with the service and the DirecTivo has been awesome.

- HD programming. I did a search and found a few threads with people saying that Dish has better HD content than DTV. Is this still the case?

- Absolutely most importantly, the DVR. We're in total love with our DirecTivo, and the thought of taking a downgrade doesn't sound at all appealing. Are there any features that are lacking in the Dish DVR, or just any weird little complaints that people have?
Old 01-27-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to be a lot of help, because I switched from Dish to DirecTV several years ago. I hated the Dish DVR (although not as much as the Cable DVR), it really was a glorified VCR and not a TiVo. Granted the software has likely been upgraded since that time, but I'd hate to lose Season Pass with the "record only new episodes" option. But, yeah, the "slow and clunky" DirecTiVo is really annoying.

IMO, Dish blows DirecTV out of the water for HD content. Dish will increase to 15 Voom HD channels soon and that's in addition to their own HD channels.

I'd almost be willing to give up Season Pass if Dish had a dual OTA HD tuner DVR with that HD channel line-up.
Old 01-27-06, 08:46 AM

Hmm.. while the increased HD stuff does sound good, I don't think I could live without a Season Pass equivalent, assuming that they haven't upgraded their software since you had it.
Old 01-27-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You may want to hold off a little. Beginning next month Dish will be broadcasting HD in MPEG4 and adding a new HD package with like 25 HD channels + HD locals on 50 cities. They will also be introducing the new 622 HD DVR receiver. It's always cheaper/easier to get the latest and greatest equipment as a new customer.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/ has a lot of info and may already have reviews of the new services/equipment.

Last edited by wmansir; 01-27-06 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Where do you live? DirecTV is in the midst of rolling out mpg4 HD locals in the larger markets. Of course, there is not an HD-DVR for mpg4 yet though.

The DirecTV HD-Tivo is great. It's a little slow adding season passes and such, but I haven't had any real problems with it. I believe DirecTV is going to a lease program for receivers on March 1, so either buy now if you want to own or wait if you want to lease.

I recently dropped the HD package for DirecTV, because I didn't think it was worth the $10.99 a month. I just use my antenna for HD locals and HBO HD is included in the HBO package.
Old 01-27-06, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
You may want to hold off a little. Beginning next month Dish will be broadcasting HD in MPEG4 and adding a new HD package with like 25 HD channels + HD locals on 50 cities. They will also be introducing the new 622 HD DVR receiver. It's always cheaper/easier to get the latest and greatest equipment as a new costumer.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/ has a lot of info and may already have reviews of the new services/equipment.
I was somewhat quizzing the salesguy on this, although I'm pretty sure he wasn't really following what I was asking...

Has DishNet needed a seperate antenna to get local channels in HD like DirecTV has? I know that DirecTV's move to MPEG4 is going to eliminate that need, so I was asking the DishNet guy if I'd need an OTA antenna, and he claimed that I'd be able to get the HD locals through the single dish with everything else.

Has DishNet always been like that, or was he referring to their new MPEG4 equipment?

It really does look like it's going to hinge on the quality of the DVR, though.
Old 01-27-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new leasing program for the DirecTV HD DVR will set you back $299. You can buy it for not much more than that.

"It's a little slow". I tend to read a magazine article while it works on Season Pass reorganizing.
Old 01-27-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't answer your questions because I don't have Dish. I was looking into it last week and the new HD stuff was all the buzz on the sites.
Old 01-27-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd have a hard time giving up my TiVos. I have two SD's and one HDTiVo. Yeah, the HD one is slow, but I'm so glad I bought it. I'm not totally impressed with DirecTV's HD lineup, but I primarily watch network shows anyway, and most of them are in HD.

Now that DirecTV has dropped TiVo, I'm no longer afraid to jump ship and try out other providers if my equipment goes south. But if you want a DTiVo, get it NOW, they're becoming hard to find in stores, and they're not making any more of 'em.
Old 01-27-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xVladx
Hmm.. while the increased HD stuff does sound good, I don't think I could live without a Season Pass equivalent, assuming that they haven't upgraded their software since you had it.
My friend has had Dish Network for a few months now and he told me that you can record only new episodes of a show.

I am going to make the switch from cable to Dish Network very soon. The wife and I really want a Tivo like system (DVR) and the only way we can get it with our current cable company is if we add digital programming. This will end up costing more than what Dish would cost us per month. Also, the cable co's DVR is a single tuner whereas we can get a dual tuner DVR from Dish (can record 2 shows at once, or record one show and watch another on same TV).

My only concern with Dish, although it doesn't affect us now, is down the road we will want Dish on 6 TV's. Their current setup is only for 4. There is probably a way to mirror additional TV's past the first 4 but that is beyond my technical know how.

As a side note, we are not interested in HD programming so that didn't factor into our decision to go with Dish rather than DirecTV. Dish will actually be cheaper than DirecTV for us.