Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Season Do You Like Better: Alias S1 or 24 S1?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which Had The Better First Season?
Alias
59.65%
40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-06, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started watching "24" recently and just finished season 1 a little while ago. A relative told me it was even better than Alias (he's seen only the first 6 episodes of Alias and jumped into "24" pretty late, so I think he's going more by his friend's opinion who has seen both.).

I loved it and found it highly original, but I'd have to say Alias season 1 wins. The cast of characters are just so much better.

Characters I really enjoy on Alias S1:

Sydney
Will
Sloane
Marshall
Jack "The Man" Bristow
Dixon
Vaughn
Sark
Weiss
SD-6

Character I really enjoy on "24" S1:

Jack Bauer
David Palmer

I'm not saying I don't like the rest, but the cast just isn't as great IMO. Great show though (I can't wait to start on season 2). So, I think Alias wins this one (so far). Also, I keep hearing how much of a badass Jack Bauer is and I'm sure he is, but based on what I've seen so far Sydney Bristow would kick his ass without breaking a sweat.

So, which had the better first season? Also, which do you think is the better show as a whole?

Last edited by Slayer2005; 01-17-06 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-18-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

24 easily. I enjoy Alias, but the first season of 24 was an incredible experience. Alias is simply a very well done show. The first season of 24, particularly the ending...

Easily the best single season of TV, and given the way the show is set up, it didn't suffer from filler/bad episodes that usually plague other shows. Alias had it's amazing episodes, good episodes, and bleh episodes. So the choice is pretty clear.
Old 01-18-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've never seen 24, so I voted for Garner's lips by default.
Old 01-18-06, 07:32 AM

Alias - Hands Down

The pilot episode is IMHO the best first episode of a TV show "ever"

Season 2 was good as well, but the show sucks now.
Old 01-18-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a tough choice, but Alias was the show that got me hooked on "TV on DVD" so it won.
Old 01-18-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

24 for sure. Now if we compare their respective 2nd seasons, Alias might have the edge.

Unfortunately with both shows, I started watching after the first season had ended, so I knew a major spoiler from each one's finale. Sydney's mother showing up in Alias and Teri's fate in 24(although thankfully I didn't know who was responsible).
Old 01-18-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alias by Far... THe first 2 seasons on Alias are by far IMO the best season of any TV show ever, i have never been as drawn in as i was with those 2 seasons
Old 01-18-06, 08:10 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I voted Alias. As a whole, I felt it was better, IMO.

24 had a strong opening 12 episodes, but the second half was not nearly as strong.
Old 01-18-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
24, easily. I like Alias, but it's a lot less realistic with all of the Rimbaldi stuff.
Old 01-18-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coladar
24 easily. I enjoy Alias, but the first season of 24 was an incredible experience. Alias is simply a very well done show. The first season of 24, particularly the ending...
Which ending would that be? The ending after 12 hours or the ending after 24 hours? The problem with S1 of 24 is the built it "protection" so the show could be wrapped up after 12 episodes if it failed in the ratings. After that the majority of the remaining episodes got pretty silly - as the writers tried to quickly draft up and string along several other random incidents (come on, amnesia?!) to re-up the stakes to get to predefined conclusion in 24 episodes.

Easily the best single season of TV, and given the way the show is set up, it didn't suffer from filler/bad episodes that usually plague other shows.
Are we talking about the same season of the same show?

Alias S1 at least had a full season arc for the most part. Even a "boring" episode ended with a new mission that compelled you to watch the next. I can't say the same for every S1 episode of 24.
Old 01-18-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evil
Alias - Hands Down

That's pretty much my complete thoughts on the matter as well...
Old 01-18-06, 02:48 PM

Both have some crazy ass black woman set on killing everyone but I'll go with 24 since I enjoyed seeing Penny Johnson more as Sherry Palmer (been a while since I last saw The Larry Sanders Show). Merrin Dungey as Francie was great as well in Alias.
Old 01-18-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Easily the best single season of TV, and given the way the show is set up, it didn't suffer from filler/bad episodes that usually plague other shows. Alias had it's amazing episodes, good episodes, and bleh episodes. So the choice is pretty clear.
anyone remeber that amnesia subplot which stopped the show cold (hell people on this very fourm said that was the "jump the shark" moment)
Old 01-18-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Evil
Alias - Hands Down

Old 01-18-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I agree with you. Alias was very solid, but there was no compelling need to rush out and buy/watch season 2. Still haven't.

24 is like crack. A crack addiction that you can't kick in two hours. First time I have ever had a dvd marathon. Watched the final 9 episodes in one sitting. The shit always hits the fan in the last 10 minutes, compelling you to watch the next one. Sure Alias set up the next mission, but not in a way the made you want to watch them back to back.

And amnesia aside, there were more meh episodes of the first season of Alias than 24. The idea of the assasination of a black presidential candidate was/is far more interesting than some renaisance gadget-man who hid all his shit for some CIA double agent to find years later.

my $.02 cents.
Old 01-18-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
24 is like crack. A crack addiction that you can't kick in two hours. First time I have ever had a dvd marathon. Watched the final 9 episodes in one sitting. The shit always hits the fan in the last 10 minutes, compelling you to watch the next one. Sure Alias set up the next mission, but not in a way the made you want to watch them back to back.

That happened to me too. I borrowed the first season from a friend and ended up staying up late to watch episode after episode and some days I would get up early to see another episode.
That's a tough question though. Alias is a bit more character driven than 24 even though both are very good.