Scrubs - 01/10/06 **Back-to-Back Episodes**

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Scrubs - 01/10/06 **Back-to-Back Episodes**

"My Day at the Races"

Spoiler:
As J.D.'s 30th birthday approaches, he finds an old list of things that he wanted to accomplish before he turns 30.

Cast: Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison, John C. McGinley, Judy Reyes, Ken Jenkins, Neil Flynn.
Producer(s): Bill Lawrence.

Original Airdate: January 10, 2006.

________________________________________________________________________________

"My Jiggly Ball"

Spoiler:
When J.D. is asked to introduce Dr. Kelso at an awards dinner, he sets out to discover something good to say about the grouchy doctor.

Cast: Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison, John C. McGinley, Judy Reyes, Ken Jenkins, Neil Flynn.
Producer(s): Bill Lawrence.

Original Airdate: January 10, 2006.

Scrubs

Last edited by B.A.; 01-10-06 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-10-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
A note of warning for those this might affect: My DVR did not tag the 2nd as new and had not automatically scheduled it! I caught it in time (since it's still morning) but y'all may wanna double-check your systems.
Old 01-10-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another double-whammy! Weeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 01-10-06, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a nice review of the show from this week's Entertainment Weekly.

Entertainment Weekly

Scrubs is the trickiest comedy on TV. It manages to be whimsical but not cutesy, and it delves into the surreal without resorting to randomness. A likable, daffy, buoyant series that would be a big annoying mess if it weren't done just right, Scrubs is the very definition of nimble.

The fifth season of this Emmy-nominated hospital comedy sees inner-monologuing resident J.D. (Zach Braff) finally becoming a full-fledged doctor; newlyweds Turk (Donald Faison) and Carla (Judy Reyes) pondering parenthood; and neurotic doc Elliot (Sarah Chalke). But the show's formula is very much the same — and that's a good thing. Scrubs still deploys complex fantasy sequences, from a massive kung-fu battle in the parking lot to J.D.'s delighted acquisition of a pair of ''chest hands.'' It still features the plotting Janitor (Neil Flynn), who's out to destroy J.D. at every pass; there's also J.D.'s egotistic mentor, Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley), who mocks him with put-downs so elaborate they're almost rococo. Scrubs is a verbose show, packed with puns and wordplay — the writers must have well-thumbed dictionaries — and it boasts some wonderfully silly dialogue. When Carla asks macho Turk how he'd react if their future son wanted to take dance lessons rather than play sports with his buddies, Turk responds: ''He can dance if he wants to...he can leave his friends behind,'' and then launches into a full-on ode to Men Without Hats' ''The Safety Dance.''

With their occasionally exasperated marital banter, Carla and Turk are one of TV's best couples: Her no-nonsense manner gives a necessary dose of sanity to this often nonsensical show, and the two alternately dote on and deceive each other, but without the rancor so many TV spouses have these days. I say ''one of TV's best couples,'' because the best may be Turk and J.D., supertight buddies whose mutual friend crush has been burnished into one of Scrubs' funniest ongoing story lines. This year, J.D. is living away from Turk for the first time since college (he was rooming with the newlyweds even postnuptials), and the series makes sly use of J.D.'s jealousy of the woman who supplanted him in Turk's universe; there's a great scene in which Turk and J.D. talk to each other telepathically in front of Carla, to J.D.'s glee. Never has male bonding been so...adorable.

All of Scrubs' weirdness works because the actors are so game. I confess to having been worried about the state of the show in the wake of Braff's burgeoning post-Garden State movie career. Pulling off J.D. — a prim, neurotic, boyish, sweet goofball who fears ponds because they're ''infamous for serpents'' — takes both confidence and humility. Would Braff be so game after a year of critical kudos and Mandy Moore-dating? Yup. With pursed lips, cocked eyebrows, and a coffeepot handle circling his wrist (you'll see), Braff is as bouncy as ever, and he leads a cast that's equally energetic. The series may not always break new ground, but it remains pure fun just the same. Grade: A-
Old 01-10-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I didnt realize this was the 5th season. I thought this was the 4th. Well, looks like Ill be buying another season of this show. Cant wait for the back to back tonight...
Old 01-10-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how many weeks of back to back episodes will there be?
Old 01-10-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
how many weeks of back to back episodes will there be?
I think the rest of the month until pretty much everything goes on hiatus for a couple of weeks during the Olympics.
Old 01-10-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Braff dated Mandy Moore? Why am I upset about this?
Old 01-10-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

cant wait love this show and I thought last weeks episodes were very funny
Old 01-10-06, 01:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write-up by EW.
Looking forward to tonight's episodes. (Love the fact that I said episodes, and not episode.)
Old 01-10-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See. Even Scrubs knows that a ninja would kick a pirate's ass.
Old 01-10-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
"Betrayal five!"
Old 01-10-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Darknite39
Spoiler:
"Betrayal five!"

These episodes were pretty good, the second one felt a lot like earlier seasons with the funny and the heart all wrapped into one.
Old 01-10-06, 10:07 PM

loved tonights episodes. So far season 5 has really been strong. Loved the Ninjas thing with the kung fu music. ~ Loved as J.D. start his marthon and started running towards the ocean but it was too cold.

They need to move this show to Thursday Night.
Old 01-10-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First ep was good - second ep was great (almost feels like it came out of season three). Ken Jenkins was top notch throughout the whole damn thing.

The Todd has been strung so far this season - 'betrayal five' was a great touch.
Old 01-10-06, 10:54 PM
Retired

Two great episodes. Loved the kung fu and safety dance.
Old 01-10-06, 11:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The shot of everyone outside the operating room when Turk was doing the operation without giving the girl drugs and Cox out there putting cotton in his ears had me

I liked both episodes
Old 01-10-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
My wife nearly busted a gut laughing at Elliot's line after the "Safety Dance" joke. "Carla, didn't you learn anything from when you told him the Kommissar was in town?"

She had to explain it to me

Great episodes. My wife and watched all of Season 1 again between last week and this week - the show is still top-notch!
Old 01-10-06, 11:45 PM

Man what a crappy night. I tivo'd the two scrubs episodes to watch the Houston Rockets game tonight, it went to double OT and we lost.After the loss in need of somethin to lighen the mood,I fliped to tivo pressed play on scrubs and the 2 shows got postponed till supposedly 3:30 and 4am, in order to show some 'special' about children in 3rd world countries who need dental work.Not that theres anything wrong with that but wtf is up with nbc doing that in primetime. Did that happen to anyone else,I live in the Houston area and was curious if only we got the shaft.
Old 01-11-06, 12:42 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Great much better than the 1st 2 episodes, esp the 2nd, very touching and perfect scrubs, like only scrubs can do it.
Old 01-11-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by huzefa
Dated? He's still dating her and she will appear on the show this season.

I enjoyed both the shows tonight especially the first one. Ashame we didnt get to see JD's party though.
Especially liked the Triathalon bit.
Old 01-11-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Elliott's ridiculously strong thighs

Great episodes! I was a little worried after last week was subpar, but as soon as the ninja surgeons showed up it was obvious they were back on track.
Old 01-11-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight's first episode's opening has got to be one of the funniest in recent memory. Loved the kung-fu with the perfect background music. I'm glad they're moving forward the J.D./Elliott relationship in what I believe is the right direction. Janitor still brings it. Loved Doug's cameo: "I put 1-ish".

2nd episode was classic Scrubs. Nothing really much to add to that.
Old 01-11-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I'm glad they're moving forward the J.D./Elliott relationship in what I believe is the right direction.
Me too. I think having them live together is a great move. Some of the best material came from JD and Elliott being close friends.
Old 01-11-06, 08:11 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by huzefa
If you think you're upset, you should hear what Vincent Chase thinks about this!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.