TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 2 night, 4 hour premiere 1/15-1/16

Old 01-16-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 633 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Foxtrot rules.

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So who can falsify surveilance so that it doesnt seem doctored??
Who said it was doctored? Who's to say the terrorists didn't pay a homeless man a cool mil to have plastic surgery and walk into that building on a certain day at a certain time?

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Skip the first 130 or so posts then. Some of us like to talk about the episode as we're watching it. It's like a big chat room.
It's not a chat room. It is a message board. You know where discussion goes on. Not one line "OMG, I can't believe Jack did that," "Did you see Chloe's ass?," "Edgar rocks this season," messages that contribute nothing to the discussion.

"Some" of you could get in ICQ, or whatever, and have a chat-a-thon to your hearts content while Jack is making helicopters appear out of his ass.

I'm not trying to start something, I just don't believe it is approriate. Any mods want to weigh in?
Old 01-16-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
The kid is super lame and the Kim of this season. It has been a while since I was a teenager, but are they really this dumb these days? Hey I just watched you kill a wounded guy cold blooded and probably take out 3 other armed men, but I am not going to listen to you, You're NOT MY DAD!
Nope, I thought the kid was fine ... other than it looks like he's wearing lipstick!

Remember, the writers needed to invent some way for the kid to be in the thick of things thus this bull about following Jack around ... but hey ... this is 24, we're used to that. You need to ignore stuff like 'knock the kid out or really endanger his life' choices or you'll go crazy.

btw, I saw this Charlie Rose Show on public television and he interviewed Sutherland about the new season. What an awful interview. People have mentioned this Rose is so great but not from the one time I've seen him.

Rose: How many episodes are there this season?

Sutherland: 24, one for each hour of the day.

(editorial comment) time to wake up and smell the coffee

Sutherland: we had this really great filmmaker join us (interrupted)

Rose: So your role on the road was to do what?

(forcing Sutherland to have to revisit his point later)

These a few other interruptions, made Rose look like a hack.

btw, Sutherland was great and seemed like a really nice guy.
Old 01-16-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
is anybody wondering how the season 5 prequel on the Season 4 dvd fits into this?? I'm really missing the the filthy, long haired, torn clothes Jack who drives a new car.
Old 01-16-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freshticles
is anybody wondering how the season 5 prequel on the Season 4 dvd fits into this?? I'm really missing the the filthy, long haired, torn clothes Jack who drives a new car.
I was wondering that myself. We go from Chicago with Cloe knowing Jack's secret had been comprimised to Jack living near LA (for a while because everyone knew him... or rather knew Frank), and Cloe being clueless that anything is going on.
Old 01-16-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Nikki from Spin City hasn't aged too well.
I actually thought she looked pretty good overall.
Old 01-16-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 633 Posts
Originally Posted by freshticles
Yeah, I thought that was odd too. Since the prequel also takes place 18 months after season 4.

And that wasn't just any car, that was a Toyota that could out-run and out-handle a BMW at that.
Old 01-16-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Wouldn't someone have recognized Jack Bauer without some kind of disguise? And why would the terrorists go out of their way to frame Jack Bauer if they had no idea he was even still alive? I really like the show but also question some of the choices made. He should have been living out of the country and not working amongst others that could easily identify him. Hell, it seems that he didn't even leave the L.A. area.
Old 01-16-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
‘24’ gets cut off in last 10 minutes
TV fans hit the roof when local newscast begins before show ends
By ADAM BEAM
Staff Writer

Midlands fans of the FOX show “24” are used to cliffhangers — but nothing like what happened during the fifth-season premiere Sunday night.

WACH-TV, Columbia’s FOX affiliate, cut away from the last 10 minutes of the blockbuster show to start its 10 p.m. newscast — leaving fans in the Midlands hanging.

“Somebody has lost their mind,” said Steve Arnold, a fan who was watching the show at his Irmo home.

FOX has been promoting the show’s two-part, two-hour season premiere for weeks. It was scheduled to start at 8 p.m., after the conclusion of the NFL playoff game between the Carolina Panthers and the Chicago Bears.

The game went long, pushing the start of “24” back about 10 minutes — and ideally pushing back the start of the newscast.

WACH has a contract with WIS-TV, which produces WACH news programs, to broadcast its news at 10 p.m. If, for some reason, WACH has to delay broadcast, the station can record the newscast and air it later.

Sunday night, that didn’t happen.

“They should have realized that it was running over,” WACH station manager Scott McBride said from his home Sunday night. “They just opted to take the news live, and that was a mistake.

“WIS or WACH-TV did not communicate to each other that the game was running long and that it was going to be a problem.”

Barry Ahrendts, WIS’ director of marketing and programming, confirmed the two stations’ contractual obligations.

“As to what exactly happened tonight,” he said, “I don’t know; I wasn’t there.”

Paul Teeple, 43, of Columbia, hadn’t missed a second of “24” from the start — even from 2001 to 2003, while working in Nicaragua for his employer, an international development nonprofit organization. He had friends record it for him.

“I’m mad, I’m upset, and I’m having a hard time rationalizing this,” he said. “This is the one TV show you wait for and wait for, and there’s always a cliffhanger — but this is too much.

“It was irresponsible; I found it disrespectful of WACH to its viewers.”

McBride said the station will re-air the entire show — but not before Part 2 of the season premiere, which airs at 8 tonight.

That doesn’t work well with the unique format of “24.” Each hourlong episode chronicles a “real-time” hour in the life of federal agent Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.

While most shows start in the fall and continue throughout the season with occasional reruns, “24” starts in January and runs straight through to May with no reruns.

“If you miss an episode, you’re out of the loop,” said 41-year-old Barry Ammons of Columbia. “That’s just a big screw-up.”

The “24” mishap might remind another generation of viewers of a national TV goof on Sept. 17, 1968, when NBC cut off the last hour of a pro football game to show the made-for-TV movie “Heidi.”

As a result, football fans missed it when the Oakland Raiders scored two touchdowns in nine seconds to beat the New York Jets.

After WACH’s 35-minute newscast — which did not acknowledge the loss of the last 10 minutes of “24” — the station aired a 30-minute infomercial for a diet book, “The Omega 3 Miracle.”

But the coup de grace for “24” fans came next, when WACH broadcast a rerun of a Season 1 episode of — you guessed it — “24.”
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13635789.htm
Old 01-16-06, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 17
Watching Frank run around in those huge aviator sunglasses last night really made me appreciate how bad ass those aviator sunglasses he had in season 2 and 3 were.

Does anyone know the model those were? Google search was unsuccessful
Maybe if that phone number from last season still works, you can call and ask to speak to the wardrobe people.
Old 01-16-06, 04:53 PM

I thought it didn't premere until tonight. (Monday). Any chance it will be repeated soon? I need to get season 4 on DVD and watch it first before I watch 5.
Old 01-16-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts
Well, now since the first two eps are long since over, I'll explain my previous post a little more. When I turned my TV on to pad my recording, what was on my screen was like a Fox News frame with Palmer's pic and the words President Palmer Assassinated under it. That was what made me furious because I thought that alone was the big twist. When I got home and watched from the beginning, I was SHOCKED about Tony and Michelle. I never saw that coming at all. That first hour was taut, one of the best hours of 24 ever.

I'm thinking the new CTU computer guy is a mole. For one, he slept with Chloe. Also, he was trying to discourage Edgar from trying to find her and then the way he said, "She's alive." I was also surprised about the White House mole. If anything, I figured he would be the one person in the administration who was trying to good. I had the president pegged as the bad guy, which he still might be.

And we also got two classic 24 lines, as others have mentioned. "The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you." AND "Relax, he's really good at this." Too funny.

I'm really psyched now about this season. It's off to a good start. You just knew that Jack was back when he donned those sunglasses. And the writers weren't BS'ing when they said in interviews that this year was going to be more of a personal vendetta for Jack.

I'm figuring that Kim will definitely appear this season, not sure about Chase, mainly because they are going to want to tell her that her dad is still alive. It will probably go something like this: "Kim, we just wanted to let you know that your dad is still alive. He faked his own death almost 2 years ago. Yes, I know it's a shock, but we also wanted to let you know that he is in the field right now and in trouble. He probably is going to really die this time." Poor Kim, how many times has she had to "mourn" her father's death?
Old 01-16-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Wasn't the Mexican chick the boyfriend of Kim's kidnapper from the first season?

No, she was the GF to some mexican drug lord.
Old 01-16-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brainee
But now that Jack's back, Chloe can dust off her Jack Bauer shrine and lose interest in him.
Old 01-16-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hubcap
are you kidding me? Your not going to watch because you missed 15 minutes of the show? Just look and see what happens. Nothing real big even happened in the end, all the big twists came in the early stages of the first episode.
Never been a big 24 or Fox fan anyway, but knowing how 24 is I figured if I missed any I was pretty much screwed. Oh well I deleted the recording without even watching it, so no biggie. I have too many shows I record anyway that start and end on time. I dropped Cold Case for the same reason. I can't pad because if I do I miss the 10-11 shows then.
Old 01-16-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
24 gets cut off in last 10 minutes
That happened last year with another show. I want to say CSI, but I don't remember for sure.

IIRC, the person responsible for making that decision got fired, though. Pissed off a lot of viewers.
Old 01-16-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Foxtrot rules.
It's not a chat room. It is a message board. You know where discussion goes on. Not one line "OMG, I can't believe Jack did that," "Did you see Chloe's ass?," "Edgar rocks this season," messages that contribute nothing to the discussion.

"Some" of you could get in ICQ, or whatever, and have a chat-a-thon to your hearts content while Jack is making helicopters appear out of his ass.

I'm not trying to start something, I just don't believe it is approriate. Any mods want to weigh in?
You obviously don't read the Oscar, Emmy or Golden Globe threads, it's totally a chat-fest. I think it's fun to post in real-time with shows that deserves such play-by-play communal viewing/posting, and one of those shows is "24", especially considering how strong it came out of the gates for its season premiere.
Old 01-16-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
You obviously don't read the Oscar, Emmy or Golden Globe threads, it's totally a chat-fest. I think it's fun to post in real-time with shows that deserves such play-by-play communal viewing/posting, and one of those shows is "24", especially considering how strong it came out of the gates for its season premiere.
Not a lot of fun for those of us on the west coast, though.
Old 01-16-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And the inevitable response to that is: Why are you even in the thread when the show is being aired in other time zones? I know my thread reading would be adjusted to avoid reading the episode's thread until I viewed the episode myself if I lived on the west coast. Yes, it sucks being last to the party, but that's the price you pay for all that sunshine all year long.
Old 01-16-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
and with this new season we can now look forward to the returning of all the nitpicking about every little damn detail and all the complaints about how unrealistic this show is...
That's at least 25% of the fun.
Old 01-16-06, 07:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As long as there was discussion of some kind taking place with the posts, then we've always allowed it in the past. The sports forum is full of threads of this nature. Taking Breakfast with Girls' comment into consideration, it would be considerate to use spoiler tags though.
Old 01-16-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dead
As long as there was discussion of some kind taking place with the posts, then we've always allowed it in the past. The sports forum is full of threads of this nature. Taking Breakfast with Girls' comment into consideration, it would be considerate to use spoiler tags though.
I always thought that once something was airing, it's enter at your own risk, because you're going to see spoilers? That's the way I've always seen this forum moderated in the past.

Once it's airing, especially once you see the number of posts being added, you should have enough common sense to realize that people are likely talking about what's going on in the show, and that if you want to aviod spoilers, maybe you shouldn't enter. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 01-16-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do they call tonight's two hours the two hour conclusion to the season premiere? Is the show supposed to shift angles after tonight?
Old 01-16-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Why do they call tonight's two hours the two hour conclusion to the season premiere? Is the show supposed to shift angles after tonight?
I read somewhere, and IIRC, that the writers plot/pre-plan the show in four episode arcs, so tonight's second ep. would be closure/resolution of sorts for the two night premiere...sort of like a four hour-long chapter. Episode five would begin chapter two and so on.
Old 01-16-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I read somewhere, and IIRC, that the writers plot/pre-plan the show in four episode arcs, so tonight's second ep. would be closure/resolution of sorts for the two night premiere...sort of like a four hour-long chapter. Episode five would begin chapter two and so on.
Thanks for the explanation. I felt that they were trying to use the four hour angle as a way to try to keep new viewers (because they don't need to do this for the devoted) watching this show as long as possible before giving up.
Old 01-16-06, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I always thought that once something was airing, it's enter at your own risk, because you're going to see spoilers? That's the way I've always seen this forum moderated in the past.
Yep, and that's how it's stated in the Guide to Spoilers sticky at the top.

A note on "XYZ-Show Date" threads. It's common practice in this forum that thread titles that consist of the show title and it's air date WILL contain spoilers, regardless of a warning in the thread title. Enter at you're own risk!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.