DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Surface - 1/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/451574-surface-1-09-a.html)

MrX 01-09-06 03:52 PM

Surface - 1/09

"Episode 12"
Spoiler:
While hiding from Lee and his legion of secret agents, Laura has a bizarre Internet exchange with a person who claims to have information regarding the origin of the creatures.

Jadzia 01-09-06 03:56 PM

I'm wondering if Miles watches MSNBC.

Patman 01-09-06 07:45 PM

I've always thought the writers infused Nim with cat-like qualities, but the purring was hilarious on some levels for me (I'm also owned by 2 cats), so I get it.

dsa_shea 01-09-06 08:02 PM

I didn't see a preview for next week. No preview = they have no idea what's going to happen next.

Joe Molotov 01-09-06 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I didn't see a preview for next week. No preview = they have no idea what's going to happen next.

Golden Globes next week.

Patman 01-09-06 08:32 PM

So things are really getting going now.

Miles almost had a "The Fly" moment in the bathroom. His secretions during the kiss gave me a Spider-Man vibe for some odd reason. Loved the Nim purring scene (I think the writers have given Nim a lot of cat-like traits, plus he looks like a cross between feline and lizard).

Laura and Rich escape with their lives from the hotel, and then get a mysterious communicade from someone looking for tissue samples from the new creatures. Laura finds out that it looks like these new creatures were created by some super-secret research organization of some sort, and the Martha Plimpton character seems to know quite a bit about how the creatures were created (gene-splicing, RNA recombinations, etc).

Now we wait for 2 weeks until the next installment (Golden Globes next Monday).

Jadzia 01-09-06 11:24 PM

I liked the earlier idea that hinted the creatures came from the center of the earth better than this whole genetic design angle they are now going with.

wageslave 01-10-06 07:00 AM

"Help me Obi-Wan. You're my only hope." :-)

The Nim / Miles thing reminds me of E.T. since they seem to have some sort of physical connection

Flave 01-10-06 09:43 AM

What's a "communicade"?

Phil L. 01-10-06 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I liked the earlier idea that hinted the creatures came from the center of the earth better than this whole genetic design angle they are now going with.

Me too. And I don't care at all for this new lady scientist character either.
If they continue strong with this story line it could potentially end up ruining the show for me I'm afraid.

Phil L. 01-10-06 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
His secretions during the kiss gave me a Spider-Man vibe for some odd reason.

I was thinking that even earlier. Didn't Miles say something to effect of 'having something bite you then some traits of the creature become of part of you' or something along those lines? Cause I remember right after that saying to my wife..."oh, like Spiderman?!" (of course my wife did not get the reference) :)

Loved the Nim purring scene (I think the writers have given Nim a lot of cat-like traits, plus he looks like a cross between feline and lizard).

I was thinking the same thing. Of course during portions of the show, I had a purring cat dozing in my lap while watching. :D

Now we wait for 2 weeks until the next installment (Golden Globes next Monday).

Stupid awards shows :mad:

IDrinkMolson 01-10-06 12:46 PM

For a sci-fi show, this is pretty unbelievable. I mean, a teenage girl is throwing herself at a teenage boy, and he is not going for her?!
Although, at that age, my hands that night would have looked like that after I kissed her.

Was the Mrs. Big scientist Martha Plimpton?

Doug Heffernan 01-10-06 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson

Was the Mrs. Big scientist Martha Plimpton?

Yep, but no other Goonies were with her though ....

I find it strange that that Mr. "Goonies" Big or any of her crew didn't catch the MSNBC show, or the postings on the net? Nor did anyone who works at the aquarium, Miles parents, or anyone else in Miles' storyline! She wants tissue samples and there is a real live "new vertabre" in a tank in some aquarium.

rw2516 01-10-06 04:07 PM

So wouldn't everyone who is bitten/attacked by a creature(s) have the designed RNA introduced into their system and begin to alter them? What were the creatures before they were altered? How agressive is this RNA? Could it eventually "re-evolve" Earth's entire biology/ecosystem?

MrX 01-10-06 11:24 PM

I thought of Spiderman as well during that scene:lol:

Roto 01-11-06 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by wageslave
"Help me Obi-Wan. You're my only hope." :-)

The Nim / Miles thing reminds me of E.T. since they seem to have some sort of physical connection

I think this is where it's getting further away from ET. Elliott never had glowing fingers. Other than that it's been like ET from the beginning.

I'm disappointed with the direction it's been heading the last couple of episodes, but I've made it this far so I'm going to stick with it for the rest of the season. I don't like the new scientist woman either and I'm starting to dislike the old scientist woman.

And that one scene didn't make me think of Spiderman. I thought of American Pie and Shannon Elizabeth.

Ayre 01-11-06 10:57 AM

"And that one scene didn't make me think of Spiderman. I thought of American Pie and Shannon Elizabeth."

I thought of Something About Mary. I was waiting for her to say "Oh, hair gel !!"

Good episode. Just creepy enough to make you wonder which direction Miles will go. Good Lizard / Bad Lizard. This new girl is having a similar affect on my lizard.

I agree the scientists are too cartoonish to believe. Martha "Charles Nelson Reilly" Plimpton bothers me as well. She didn't deliver the character as well as one would hope. It would have been nice to see an actor rise above the craptastic acting this show seems to produce.

They need to kill off Billy Ray Cyrus.

veloce 01-11-06 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
What's a "communicade"?

I wondered that too. I think it's sort of like a communicated communique.

Jadzia 01-11-06 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
I thought of Something About Mary. I was waiting for her to say "Oh, hair gel !!"

Me too. :lol:

On TWOP they were calling it handjaculation, which fits.

TomOpus 01-11-06 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
So wouldn't everyone who is bitten/attacked by a creature(s) have the designed RNA introduced into their system and begin to alter them?

And what about the guy in the early espisode that got attacked by the big one but later was healed? Did I miss something or has he disappeared?

Jadzia 01-12-06 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
And what about the guy in the early espisode that got attacked by the big one but later was healed? Did I miss something or has he disappeared?

He was the guy that got killed after Circo. He came to give Rich and Laura some info from Circo and he was all bleeding from being stabbed (?) and he died in the car.

fujishig 01-13-06 11:52 AM

So... are they changing the plot to wrap all of this up quickly? Because this genetic engineering thing came out of nowhere, and it doesn't seem like Circo, et al. were in on it. Not to mention we still don't know what happened to the crew of that sub from the first episode.

Did they fire Lake Bell's kid? Because although he was mentioned, he wasn't even given a scene.

TomOpus 01-13-06 12:42 PM

He was the guy that got killed after Circo. He came to give Rich and Laura some info from Circo and he was all bleeding from being stabbed (?) and he died in the car.

Was that him? For some reason I thought it was someone else. Thanks!

Now I wonder why his wounds didn't heal themselves.. :)

movielib 01-13-06 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So... are they changing the plot to wrap all of this up quickly? Because this genetic engineering thing came out of nowhere, and it doesn't seem like Circo, et al. were in on it.

I don't think it came out of nowhere. In Episode 6, Cirko figured out where the new species came from and that sea orchid gave him the clue (I still don't exactly understand the connection). But he told Lee he figured it out which got him murdered before he had a chance to tell others.

I think the genetic engineering of the species was the plan of the series from the beginning.

mikehunt 01-16-06 09:38 PM

weren't there some meteor strikes in the ocean in the first ep too, to hint that maybe they came form space

yeah, this genetically engineered aspect is kind of lame