TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Emily's Reasons Why Not - Series Premiere - 01/09/06

Old 01-09-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emily's Reasons Why Not - Series Premiere - 01/09/06

Emily's Reasons Why Not
09:00 PM ET -ABC-
Mid-season comedy "Emily's Reasons Why Not" stars Heather Graham ("Boogie Nights," "Scrubs") as Emily Sanders, an editor of self-help books who finds dispensing advice easier than following it herself. Successful in all areas of life save one -- romance -- Emily looks to friends like Josh (Khary Payton), a flighty but helpful gay man, and Reilly (Nadia Dajani), a self-proclaimed "nonconformist" unattached to either romance or steady work, for support. Determined to make better choices, Emily begins using a list of "Reasons Why Not" to warn her when it's time to move on. In tonight's premiere, Emily begins dating a co-worker (guest star Victor Webster) whose level of passion doesn't seem to match her own.
Old 01-09-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
The wife and I are going to give it a shot, while I sadly remember her guest stint on Scrubs last season (until the DVDs come out).
Old 01-09-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I haven't heard great things about this show, but Heather is so darn likeable I want to watch anyway. Besides I could use more fluffy half-hour shows in my TV line-up. I'll probably check out Jake in Progress too, even though I am not into John Stamos and did no watch it last year.
Old 01-09-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Jake was funny, but then I find Stamos to be one of those likeable personalities who pretty much works well in whatever he's in. I also like Rick Hoffman, and Julie Bowen was great for her short run. I'm looking forward to its return, especially with Charlotte Ross added to the cast.

As for Emily, it looks awful. I'll watch it anyway. At least it'll be good to have Nadia Dajani back in a regular series.

das
Old 01-09-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I thought Jake was funny, but then I find Stamos to be one of those likeable personalities who pretty much works well in whatever he's in. I also like Rick Hoffman, and Julie Bowen was great for her short run. I'm looking forward to its return, especially with Charlotte Ross added to the cast.
I didn't think it was that bad either, and w/ Charlotte Ross's addition I will definitely be tuning in.
Old 01-09-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I guess someone should start a Jake thread. B.A. would you like to do the honor?
Old 01-09-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Post-Dispatch's tv critic had this to say about the show:

"How adorable is Heather Graham? So adorable that "Reasons" becomes watchable despite the coy narration and generally weak writing. Graham's golden curls and big blue eyes would surely make her a man magnet, but as Emily, an editor of self-help books, she's unlucky in love. Her good sense deserts her in the face of cute guys, and she's had to impose strict regulations on herself: Five "reasons why not" and the fellow is history. "Reasons" follows Emily's dating misadventures and also introduces a couple of amusing friends, but the reason to watch is Graham."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ent...4?OpenDocument
Old 01-09-06, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish she was added to the regular cast of Scrubs.... those were great episodes that she was in. I might check this out tonight if I get bored.
Old 01-09-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Not sure what I'll think of this show, but I'll give it a try. I've heard almost nothing about it.

As for Jake, the show really bored me last season. I gave it a try when they first premiered it and were showing back to back eps, but I realized around the third or fourth episode that it was getting difficult for me to get through the eps because I kept falling asleep. That's never a good sign.
Old 01-09-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She should check back w/ Bill Lawrence to see if she can play Dr. Molly again.

The Brazilian jujitsu gag was about the only thing that was funny - and Mark Valley got the ball rolling on that one.
Old 01-10-06, 02:00 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
I thought it was fun and relatively mindless. Heather is easy to look at and watching her make it with an endless string of pretty boys is obviously someone's idea of a good time.

But I can't really see where this is supposed to be headed? Does anyone involved with this show REALLY see this lasting more than 5 seasons? I just don't see how many episodes they can crank out with the cliched cast introduced tonite. Does every Asian female on TV have to graduate from the Lucy Liu 'Dragon Lady' school before getting a role?

It was cute, but I think after the 13 episodes are up they will have already run through everything interesting about this concept.

Why isn't Victor Webster a bigger star? That guy is so pretty it hurts to look at him.
Old 01-10-06, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great, guys now get 5 strikes and they're out! I don't see a protracted run for this show. I don't think I laughed much at all during this pilot episode.
Old 01-10-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluesix
Does anyone involved with this show REALLY see this lasting more than 5 seasons?
well I'm not sure modern hollywood is looking 5 year ahead for any show IMO.. It's nice when it happens but a lot of shows run less then 3 years and as long as they pull in ok numbers for that time the network is happy. Not as happy as a 10year long running hit but it's better then canceled after 6eps of no one watching.

as for the show over all I thought it was pretty good for a fluffy sort of tv show as someone else called it. Graham is cute and the story line moved along quickly. Cast seems to be a really good match with each other. Sure it's not really a laugh along level of show but it at least made me smile a few times.. plus no laugh track so that's a huge plus..

I'm still not sure why newer sitcoms like say Four Kings (that show's pilot sort of sucked by the way) come out in old school laugh track 101 mode when clearly no really likes a laugh track anymore. I really don't think test market groups are going "Show needs more high pitched canned laughing!!" on the feedback cards.

Emily's Reasons Why Not is also a really good fit to go along with Jake in Progress for the hour. Both shows have the same sort of light tv vibe IMO.. Not great but still better then other newer sitcoms..

I'll keep watch more eps or at least recording them to watch later.. Show is bumping into Las Vegas and CSI:Miami (due to my area's BS 1hour forward shift of CBS's prime time) for me at 9pm Monday. sigh..
Old 01-10-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
It really tried to look and sound like Sex and the City, emphasis on the word 'tried.'
Old 01-11-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Marty's reasons why not:

1) We've seen better versions of this before
2) We've heard better jokes before
3) We've seen better office bitches before
4) We've had enough Martha Stewart jokes already
5) We've got better ways to waste our time
Old 01-11-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
She should check back w/ Bill Lawrence to see if she can play Dr. Molly again.

Totally, she's so much better at the ditzy thing. When she actually tries to play smart, it doesn't work for her. I think it's her tilted head stare that she always does. It doesn't really seem to work for this character.

I think the show gets pulled after 10 episodes or so.
Old 01-14-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tofu
I think the show gets pulled after 10 episodes or so.
It may not go that far...

ABC Bumps 'Emily's', 'Jake' for 'Bachelor' Encore
By Brian Ford Sullivan

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- The cancellation clock has begun for both "Emily's Reasons Why Not" and "Jake in Progress" as ABC has quietly pulled Monday's airings of both series, just days after their respective launches.

A repeat of "The Bachelor's" season opener will fill the 9:00/8:00c hour this coming Monday with the comedy duo returning on January 23. (New episodes of "Wife Swap" and "The Bachelor" will air as normal at 8:00/7:00c and 10:00/9:00c respectively.)

The Alphabet has yet to comment on the move, although it's likely designed to avoid any further ratings damage against NBC's broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards on January 16.

"Emily's" opened to a disastrous fourth-place finish on Monday, with 6.23 million viewers tuning in and a 2.8 rating among adults 18-49 (according to preliminary fast national Nielsen data). "Jake" fared even worse, averaging 5.58 million viewers and a 2.5 rating among adults 18-49.
Old 01-14-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched both, and probably wouldn't bother again.
Old 01-14-06, 02:29 PM

Well the good news is that I finally can put a name to Nadia Dajani. The bad news is I'll never watch this show...
Old 01-17-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Acc'd to TV Guide, ABC has already halted production of the show.
Old 01-18-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sucked.