DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   E. R. 1/5/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/451171-e-r-1-5-06-a.html)

Patman 01-05-06 10:05 PM

E. R. 1/5/06

I thought was a pretty good episode overall, though Clemente is headed for some hard times with that cop's wife. Clemente and Pratt bond over Clemente's romantic escapades.

Kovach had a rough day, dealing with the 15 year old girl pregnant by an incidence of rape, and her family's pro-life stance leaves her without a lot of options, all the while he has to wonder if Abby will terminate her pregnancy. Neela pushes Kovach pretty hard on the young girl's situation.

Ray gets a dose of bad news as well, seeing music immortality staring in his face, his badgering Weaver for a week off gets him to inadvertently to resign from County General, but then he finds out that his band has plans without him, thus leaving him in a quandry.

Weaver's facing a hip replacement (yawn).

Bludvls33 01-05-06 10:21 PM

(Yawn) for the whole ep, and most of the season. Tired of Kovac and Abby already, tired of Pratt all the time, tired of Clemente. Cant stand Red. Really, the only interesting characters are Neela and Ray. The rest of the show is a blur most of the time.

Ranger 01-05-06 10:44 PM

Thought this was a good episode though we all knew abby wasn't going to have the abortion but it wouldn't have hurted for luka to show a bit of happiness after hearing she wants to keep the baby. Loved how luka told off neela.

B.A. 01-05-06 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Loved how luka told off neela.

:up:

Damn, I was hoping Ray would leave. :mad:

It shall be interesting to see Abby/Luka on their life-changing journey.

bluesix 01-06-06 01:04 AM

Did Ray call Carrie 'Aunt Carrie' at the beginning of the episode? Are they related? I must have missed that somewhere along the past few seasons

Josh H 01-06-06 01:02 PM

Thought it was a good episode as well.

Artman 01-06-06 10:01 PM

Just when I thought it'd been awhile since ER tried shoving an agenda down our throats...they return in full force.

:grumble:

Phil L. 01-07-06 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
Just when I thought it'd been awhile since ER tried shoving an agenda down our throats...they return in full force.

:grumble:

I was thinking the same thing. And this comes after L&O SVU's anti gun message earlier in the week.
Nothing like getting preached at during my entertainment. :whofart:

grundle 01-07-06 11:55 AM

This is so typical of the coward attitude on TV regarding abortion. Instead of having a regulary appearing already established character have the abortion, they wimped out and relegated the abortion to the new character that no one cared about.

Boston Public did the same thing a few years ago.

Except for Maude, I don't think any major TV character has ever had an abortion. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jadow 01-07-06 01:20 PM

yeah, because abortion is such a brave and courageous thing to do. The first time a major tv character has an abortion, that will be akin to Rosa Parks not changing seats.

GoldenJCJ 01-07-06 10:56 PM

I missed this episode.

did they make any mention of Abby's previous abortion during the show?

Patman 01-07-06 11:23 PM

No, but she was totally conflicted in her small conversion (eyes watered up) with the OB GYN at County General (who has now started up her own practice, offered her services for either choice, and later Abby went to her clinic). She struggled with her choice (given her crazy family gene, I can't blame her).

kms_md 01-08-06 10:07 AM

the method of termination was, shall we say, unusual. typically, laminaria are used for the dilation of a cervix for a 2nd trimester termination (and much more than one are usually used -- they don't swell up that much). if kovac wanted her to behave as if she was having an inevitable miscarriage, he could have just administered other medications which would cause her uterus to expel the pregnancy.

perhaps he placed the laminaria so God could decide -- if it worked she would miscarry, otherwise, it was "meant to be".

MrX 01-08-06 11:19 AM

Having all of Abby's patients have problems that cause her to question whether or not to have the baby was over the top.

The scene with Morris and the surgeon was pretty funny.

grundle 01-09-06 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I missed this episode.

did they make any mention of Abby's previous abortion during the show?

Ha!

So much for what I said.

Michael Corvin 01-09-06 08:34 AM

I liked pretty much all the character development. There were only two things that bothered me. One was how every case of Abby's directly impacted her decision making process going on. Two, if Luka is Catholic, he shouldn't know his bible verses. :lol:

I liked the outcome, Luka & Abby are good together and thought it would have been bad for Luka's only child, since he lost his family, to be terminated.

Glad to see the rock star thing over with. I thought Clemente was going to hurl himself from the roof. I do like his character, I also liked how he though that line at the cops about how many cops lives he's saved. Looks like they are trying to get rid of the only remaining "older" cast member(Weaver). It was also nice to have little-to-no Sam this week.

GoldenJCJ 01-09-06 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
Ha!

So much for what I said.

a couple of sidenotes though:

1. I'm not sure how 'established' Abbey was when it was relvealed that she had an abortion

2. I'm guessing as far as the producers were concerned, having a character have an abortion in the distant past is more acceptable than having that character make the decision to have an abortion in the present.

So your original post may not be that far off base.

Josh H 01-09-06 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md
perhaps he placed the laminaria so God could decide -- if it worked she would miscarry, otherwise, it was "meant to be".

That was exactly the reasoning. He told the girl is was a medical way of letting god decide.