Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Films of Hayao Miyazaki Thursdays in January on TCM

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-03-06, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Known as the "Japanese Walt Disney," Hayao Miyazaki is one of his country's outstanding directors of animation. His internationally admired animated adventures include the epic Princess Mononoke (1997), a tale of a mythic battle between humans and forest animal gods that became the highest-grossing film in Japan's history; and Spirited Away (2002), in which a young girl stumbles into a mysterious spirit world.

In the month of Miyazaki's 60th birthday, we proudly present the TCM premieres of many of his works, including both English-dubbed versions and Japanese originals with English subtitles. Along with the exquisite artwork, his films are celebrated for their captivating characters, involving stories and ecological and humane concerns.

Born in Tokyo, Miyazaki began as an animator in 1963 and worked on many early classics of Japanese animation. After extensive experience in television, he began directing features in 1979 and scored a particular success with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984), the tale of a peace-seeking warrior princess that was based on a comic he had created two years earlier.

Miyazaki's films often have a fairy-tale spirit, with winsome young protagonists and magical settings. In Castle in the Sky (1986), a boy and girl travel to a floating castle. My Neighbor Totoro (1988) concerns two girls who find magical creatures in a mystical forest. Porco Rosso (1992) tells of a World War I flying ace who happens to be a pig. And Whisper of the Heart (1995), written by Miyazaki and directed by his protege Yoshifumi Kondo, is a simple tale of a bookish girl who falls in love.

In addition to writing, producing and directing many of his own films, Miyazaki has produced a number of movies made by other animators including his longtime collaborator Isao Takahata, for whom he served as executive producer on Only Yesterda (1991) and Pom Poko (1994).

by Roger Fristoe
The Schedule:
01/05: Spirited Away (2002) / Princess Mononoke (1999)
01/12: Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (1984) / Castle in the Sky (1986)
01/19: My Neighbor Totoro (1993) / Porco Rosso (1992) / Whisper of the Heart (1995)
01/26: Only Yesterday (1991) / Pom Poko (1994)

Full schedule here.
Old 01-03-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The great part about this is that some of these titles have yet to be released on DVD here. Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday, as well as the new dub of My Neighbor Totoro (which is still my favorite)
Old 01-03-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What great news!

I looks like the English dubs will be broadcast first followed by the Japanese versions later the same evenings.

I'm surprised that Kiki's Delivery Service isn't included.
Old 01-06-06, 02:23 AM

I caught the replays, wish the English dub was offered for the 2nd showing too.
Old 01-12-06, 05:44 PM

Just a reminder, round 2 is tonight. I haven't seen Castle in the Sky before so I'm quite looking forward to that.
Old 01-20-06, 03:13 AM
Banned

I just caught My Neighbor Totoro in the original japanese audio. Great movie. Of course I'm on a hunt now to get some of the plush figures. I wish I could stay up til 4:30AM to watch Whisper Of The Heart but I gotta get up at 9Am for school.