DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   these shows worth getting into? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/450637-these-shows-worth-getting-into.html)

superman69 01-02-06 01:16 AM

these shows worth getting into?

hello, i DVR'd alot of Monk on the new years marathon. enjoyed the 2 eps ive seen thus far. (baby and back-to-school). is this show worth following?

also what about Rome?
deadzone?
veronica mars?

lwhy? 01-02-06 01:24 AM

Veronica mars is definitely worth watching. It is the best show of tv IMHO. You have to get season one on dvd and watch it from the beginning. If you just start watching season two crucial plot points will be spoiled.

mikeporter 01-02-06 01:38 AM

I highly recommend Rome although it is not everyone's cup of tea. I consider it one of the top 10 (current) tv shows.

kitkat 01-02-06 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Veronica mars is definitely worth watching. It is the best show of tv IMHO. You have to get season one on dvd and watch it from the beginning. If you just start watching season two crucial plot points will be spoiled.

What he (she?) said.

MrX 01-02-06 02:01 AM

The early episodes of Monk were pretty good, I'm not a fan of the past few seasons.

I highly recommend Veronica Mars and Rome. I agree that you have to rent the first season dvd before jumping into it.

fiver 01-02-06 02:03 AM

Monk is a great show to get into. I recently rented all three seasons on dvd and dvr'd the fourth...I thought Monk's OCD routine would get old but I laughed myself silly watching this show. Highly recommended.

Rome I've only seen the first episode of so far...but enjoyed it.

Veronica Mars...I enjoyed the first season though I found it slightly uneven...when it was good (most of the time) it was very very good...when it was bad, the filler eps were very very bad...so far I'm much more enjoying the second season though...overall I'd definitely recommend it though....some terrific actors involved with this show (though the actor who plays duncan is as interesting as a houseplant).

Haven't seen the dead zone yet

Michael

AudioWizard 01-02-06 02:59 AM

What about "How I Meet Your Mother". Is that a good show?

REL77 01-02-06 08:04 AM

I highly Recommend ROME. I got into it in like the 4th episode, but got caught up thanks to HBO reruns. GREAT show

kevin75 01-02-06 08:56 AM

rome starts slow but speeds up and the last 2 episodes are absolutely fantastic. the gladiator fight in the next to last episode is AWESOME!!!

HIMYM is pretty funny. neil patrick harris is hilarious and the girl who plays robin in hawt. :)

i never got into veronica mars last season but have started watching it this season. i didn't have time to wait to watch S1. it's a bit confusing sometimes, but still really good.

maingon 01-02-06 10:58 AM

Veronica Mars is a great show pick up season one now! :)

wmansir 01-02-06 12:26 PM

I can only echo how much others recommend VM.

What do you guys think about getting into Lost? I heard great things about the first season so I was planning on getting it, but then I've heard it kinda fell apart in season 2 and the writers seem to be making it up on the fly with lots of dropped story lines and few payoffs. One of the things I liked most about watching Veronica Mars season One on DVD was that the season long story arc writing was very solid and everything came together for the final episodes.

Geofferson 01-02-06 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
What about "How I Meet Your Mother". Is that a good show?

I think it is surprisingly good. :up:

clckworang 01-02-06 03:17 PM

I also join the chorus in singing Veronica Mars' praises. I would highly recommend that you rent or buy the first season before trying to watch the current eps.

I also loved Rome. As others have said, it starts off a little slow, but then gets better and better with each episode.

How I Met Your Mother is OK. I'm not a huge fan of traditional sitcoms, but it's pretty good. Neil Patrick Harris is by far the best part of the show.

Rypro 525 01-02-06 04:00 PM

if you have a chance, watch "how i met your mother" tonight since its the best episode of the series so far ("the slutty pumpkin", also contains the return of the girl from "the wonder years"

FantasticVSDoom 01-02-06 04:28 PM

Have to go with the others on Veronica Mars...There isnt a whole lot of TV I watch, but I love this show!!!! Its the one show I try to recommend to everyone I know to get them to tune in.

Chauzer 06-05-06 10:12 PM

veronica mars!!

maingon 06-05-06 10:37 PM

Veronica Mars is a great show, Lost is an amazing show, second season was very good, the writers dont seem to make stuff up out of the air and there are great payoffs but more questions then answers.

Slayer2005 06-05-06 10:38 PM

Another old thread resurrected.

BTW, Veronica Mars rules. :)

Charlie Goose 06-06-06 08:25 AM

A big yes to Monk, Veronica Mars, and Rome.

I watched the first two seasons of The Dead Zone, but have since lost interest.

fiver 06-06-06 06:59 PM

Monk is very very funny. I netflixed the first three seasons all in a row and tivo'd the fourth recently...it makes me laugh now just as much as it did in the first few episodes and, like others, I thought the OCD would get old quickly but it hasn't for me. I'll keep watching as long as they keep making it.

Rome I keep meaning to watch but haven't seen anything but the first episode yet. I'm a Rome afficionado so it's definitely up my alley of interest.

Veronica Mars I have to respectfully disagree on the quality...I thought the first season was good overall but the filler episodes were just frustratingly bad...any time this show tries to incorporate technology into the plot lines, I shudder...they just can't do it realistically....one of the filler plot lines wouldn't even have been interesting 10 years ago when it would have been relevant...plus I hated the season finales because the payoff isn't worth the buildup in my opinion. However, that being said, I love the interaction between Veronica and Logan, Logan and Weevil, Weevil and Veronica, Veronica and Wallace, and Veronica and her dad. The character of Duncan is perhaps the single most bland, boring, and uninteresting character I've witnessed in a long time on tv. I buy it for my wife but probably wouldn't buy it for myself as I think there are much better shows to own out there.

Deadzone I have the occasional interest to see but have never watched an episode through.

Lost I find terribly terribly boring though I've seen season one all the way through when it aired...I've seen half of season 2 but the other half has just been sitting on my tivo since I can't gather enough interest to care about watching it again...dull dull show.

Michael

dvd182 06-06-06 07:20 PM

Veronica Mars and Rome are both ridiculously good, as others have said.

Chauzer 06-11-06 10:59 PM

just finished season 1 and 2 of veronica mars, definatelyl one of the best shows on tv. watch it!!

Sweet Baby James 06-11-06 11:10 PM

Dead Zone is a solid show and definitely worth the low asking price for the DVDs. You can get the first three seasons at DDD for under $20 right now and season 4 will also be under $20 when it's released on Tuesday.:)

Gizmo 06-12-06 12:11 AM

Chauzer, really? We had NO idea you were watching Veronica Mars!!!! Wow, what a revelation :rolls eyes:

Chauzer 06-12-06 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Chauzer, really? We had NO idea you were watching Veronica Mars!!!! Wow, what a revelation :rolls eyes:

yeah, ive been watching it the last week, great show