Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What TV Shows On DVD Are You Starting This Year?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What TV Shows On DVD Are You Starting This Year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Veronica Mars!!

Undeclared.
Old 01-04-06, 01:09 PM

Firefly
Millenium
The Shield
MurderOne
Old 01-04-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Angel first 3 disks of season 1 shipped today from Netflix

I planning on getting 24 after I finish up Dark Angel, will probably give Desparate Housewives a shot sometime too later in the year.
Old 01-04-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JayPen
Watched all of Felicity with the wife this Summer. Watched Veronica Mars this fall, and will most likely start Smallville or Roswell this Spring. Those or maybe Buffy.
I'd watch Roswell before Smallville. That way you can see how much Smallville 'borrowed' stylistically from Roswell (which it replaced on the WB) - and realize that Roswell was a much better show. And I'm saying this as a fan of both - it's just that I like Smalliville, but loved Roswell.
Old 01-05-06, 11:56 AM

Shows I own but have not yet opened:

Lost S1
Smallville S1
The Shield S1
The West Wing S3
Old 01-05-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I'd watch Roswell before Smallville. That way you can see how much Smallville 'borrowed' stylistically from Roswell (which it replaced on the WB) - and realize that Roswell was a much better show. And I'm saying this as a fan of both - it's just that I like Smalliville, but loved Roswell.
I dissagree. Roswell could never make it's mind what it wanted to be. One year it was teen Drama that "borrowed' from Buffy and then it was Sci fi and then it tried to combine both. I tend to think Smallville is much better.

Jaypen, what did you think of Felicity?
Old 01-05-06, 03:47 PM

Roswell > Smallville hands down in my eyes.

Far superior.
Old 01-05-06, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Buffy > Roswell & Smallville combined.

Neither are in the same league. Although, I like both (I haven't seen much past the first season of Roswell yet though).
Old 01-05-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
Buffy > Roswell & Smallville combined.

Neither are in the same league. Although, I like both (I haven't seen much past the first season of Roswell yet though).
That one I will grant you. Even though I started watching Roswell before I watched Buffy.

But Roswell is still a better show than Smallville. It wasn't that 'it' couldn't decide what it wanted to be, it was that the network couldn't decide what it wanted it to be. They were the ones that kept asking for and making changes, which is why things changed once more during the 3rd season, and the shift from WB to UPN.

While both shows are built a bit on the Buffy mold, Smallville copied so much more stylistically from the Roswell blueprint. And of course, one of the reasons being that some genius at WB said something to the effect of, "Hey, instead of paying this other company to make this show, why don't we do our own version of it, using characters we already have the rights to (DC Comics), and that people know better (Superman). That way, It'll be way cheaper for us, and it'll be more popular?"

There was also no show prior to Roswell, not even Buffy, which used as much popular music during the episodes - and now everyone does. Hell, Smallville even used a ton of the same music the Roswell had already used - which you'd know if you saw the original broadcasts, but not the DVD, where they had to change it for Roswell, due to liscensing rights. And again, WB already has the rights to most of that music, so it doesn't cost them nearly as much to use - while FOX has no music company, and has to pay bigger licesencing fees - hence the reason for the changes.

But I digress - to each their own, I suppose. I still like Smallville, mind you - but to me, it'll always be a paler imitation.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 01-05-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 12:56 AM
Suspended

I never really noticed Smallville borrowing from Roswell (I guess you have a couple of points though, but I don't feel the show is really much like Roswell at all). I always thought Smallville felt kind of like a Buffy clone that was good enough for a fix (since Buffy & now Angel are gone), but could never truly compete with either one.
Old 01-06-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Smallville and Buffy
Old 06-05-06, 09:26 AM

suprised so many people listed veronica mars

just watched the first 10 episodes of season 1 and love it, GREAT show

for me this summer:

veronica mars
csi ny
justice league
without a trace seaosn 2
weeds
what i like about you
Old 06-05-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X-Files
Dead Like Me (but I originally watched them on Showtime)
Invasion/Surface (when they come out)
Dynasty
Old 06-05-06, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Nice to see this old thread again.

Well, an update for me. I didn't get around to watching Millenium, but I did finish the following:

Veronica Mars Seasons 1 (watched season 2 with Bit Torrent): Absolutely loved it. Fantastic lead character with very Buffyesque dilaouge and line delivery from Kristen Bell. If you watch this series and do not fall in love with her there's something wrong with you. She's actually like a Buffy/Chloe (from Smallville) combination. She is just awesome, very witty and very very cute. Lots of great characters, character development, witty dialogue and some big surprises along the way on Veronica Mars.

24 Seasons 1-4 - I really dig the pace and fun factor of this show. Season 2 was my favorite so far.

Lost Season 1 - Great character study, very mysterious and very addicting.

South Park Seasons 1-4 - I had missed a lot of this show over the years. I feel season 3 was quite a step up over the first two and the show began to become much better during season 3. Matt and Trey mentioned the same thing in one of their mini commentaries and I agree with them 100%. I got a lot more laughs out of seasons 3 & 4 than I did with the first two.

The Simpsons season 7 - Still a great show. It never has provided me nearly the amount of big laughs that Family Guy has, even at its very best, but it does amuse and tell good well structured stories.

Show I've started on but haven't yet finished:

Battlestar Galactica Mini series & first 4 episodes of season 1 (new version) - I'm not really big into TV space shows aside from Firefly, but based on the high reviews I had to give this one a shot. So I did. I thought the BG mini series was alright. I watched the first 4 episodes and I thought it was pretty decent for the first 3, but it didn't grab me and pull me in like some of the series above that I can't stop watching episodes after episode. The 4th episodes pulled me in a bit more, so I'll see where it goes from there.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 06-05-06 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I haven't gotten around to any of the shows I said I was considering 6 months ago.

However, I have just bought Robot Chicken and Greg the Bunny (it's a Seth Green bonanza!). I had never seen either on live tv, and I've watched about a fourth of the episodes of each so far and they are both a lot of fun.
Old 06-05-06, 10:21 PM

The Office- (does anyone know if they will be running the reruns this summer in order or was the marathon it?
Scrubs
Old 06-05-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
So far this year, I've watched all 4 seasons of The Shield. Great stuff.
Just last week I started on my South Park collection. Aside from that, nothing planned for the near future.
Old 06-06-06, 08:15 AM

So far this year:

Firefly (completely watched)
Battlestar Galactica - remake (watched all that's been released)
King of Queens seasons 2 and 3.
Old 06-06-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I are also amost done with Firefly (3 more) and we're about halfway done with season 1 of Tripping the rift. We're 1 episode away from being done with Newsradio season 3 (just in time for season 4). We already have season 2 of Tripping the Rift ready to do.

I just finished season 1 of 24 last night. I plan to start Monk Season 1 tonight. Then I'll continue on to either season 2 or season 1 of Veronica Mars. And I still have Alfred Hitchcock Presents to dive into. Finally I'm about halfway through season 4 of The X-Files.
Old 06-06-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Veronica Mars
Jeremiah
Moonlighting
Deadwood

All from Netflix. Probably will finish Farscape, too.

Well, this didn't happen. I did watch Veronica Mars (great show), but I don't see the rest happening. I finished the second season of Farscape months ago with no desire to continue, so that experiment is probably dead.
Old 06-06-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dave
Are there any series that you are starting to watch and/or collect this year?

Last year, I started the year off by watching the entire Buffy and Angel series which took me about 2 months to complete (I had only seen a couple episodes before). Today, I started the Gilmore Girls saga (watched the first 3 episodes, very good so far, got to love the 2 female leads). I have the first 4 DVD sets and will be getting the fifth one shortly. Once that is done I may start on Six Feet Under, which I have the first 4 seasons of and pick up the fifth and final one in March.
Well per by original post, I finished Gilmore Girls and was able to download the early season 6 episodes I missed, so I am all caught up there.

I also finished all of Six Feet Under and will finish the first 3 seasons of Scrubs later today. I don't think I will try and download season 4, but rather wait for the DVDs later this year.

Not sure what else I work on, probably watch the 2nd season of Entourage when it comes in the mail and maybe pick up the 2nd season of Deadwood.

I have also been meaning to crack open my Freaks & Geeks yearbook, but the extras are a bit of a daunting task.
Old 06-06-06, 12:32 PM

Lost, since I saw all of season 2, I now need the backstories.
Old 06-06-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I watched Firefly back in Feb. Great show.

Just started House: Season 1 this week. Also started Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 a few weeks ago.

Mostly been watching Smallville. First three seasons since Dec.
Old 06-06-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Never seen Lost but picked up Season 1 of that to go through. I'd like to start both Scrubs and Veronica Mars this year as well.
Still haven't watched Lost but I did go through Veronica Mars and loved it. Also watched Firefly and finished up Roswell.

For the summer I still plan on starting Lost and I'm also planning on Battlestar Galactica and Space: Above and Beyond. Season 2 of Monk is on the horizon as well.

Scrubs has moved to the back burner, I would still like to try the show but there's too much other stuff I'm involved in.
Old 07-22-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've been working through Undeclared. Virtully blind buy 2 DDD sales ago, I had caught an episode or two on the air, but never 'watched' it.
Hilarious. I think I like it better than Freaks and Geeks, and I liked that [although it did seem kind of jumpy toward the end]. I know they made it 'funnier' rather than 'dramedy', and it's 1/2 hour rather than 1 hour, but it seems to flow a little better to me. I guess part of it is that college is closer in my past than high school, but I don't think the time it's set makes much difference, because F&G did capture the characterizations well. I watched Eric Visits Again, and though the plot itself was not new at all, the way it was presented was. It helps that the characters seem real to me, much more real than the typical 'sitcom' cast. Oh, and no laugh track, which I like.
Buffy through BBO, Batman Beyond on my computer, Twilight Zone [the F Whitaker one] at random, then maybe Firefly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.