DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve '06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/450558-dick-clarks-rockin-new-years-eve-06-a.html)

JP5683 01-01-06 03:00 AM

Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve '06

No thread on the show? Anyone see it/watching it now? (Like me)...

Dick looks alright, but notice how there are no close-ups of him? The left side of his face looks odd. And he's slurring his words pretty bad.

Great to see him, but sad to see him not up to his usual self...

Jack Straw 01-01-06 03:10 AM

Didn't watch much of it, but what I did see...looked okay, sounded AWFUL.

The Cow 01-01-06 03:16 AM

Saw it about 4+ hours ago. Not much to the show. He did sound really bad.

He still looks good, and I thought they showed some pretty close shots.

I hope I look that good when I hit the 70s. Hell, he probably looked better than I do now.

Jimmy James 01-01-06 03:19 AM

He really did sound terrible. I spent the last 15 minutes of 2005 flipping between this one, the one with Regis, and the one with Daly. They all stank up until the countdown if you ask me, but that might be because I just wasn't in the mood for crap-pop and C-list celebrities. Next year, I'll tune in with like 3 minutes to go.

Rockmjd23 01-01-06 05:16 AM

I can't believe they let him on the air. It was sad watching him slur and stumble through his words. He should have just taken the year off to recover fully, if it is at all possible.

Alvis 01-01-06 08:47 AM

To me, he sounded like a man who had a pretty major stroke and is recovering. I salute the man for his willingness to get back on the horse and ride. Undoubtably, he knows how he sounds. I thought he looked great. No, he didn't sound like the Dick Clark we all know. But he certainly showed the spirit and hard working attitude that he has always exhibited.

Have you ever know anyone who suffered a stroke? Kirk Douglas had one a few years ago, and sounds about like Dick Clark when he talks.

Dick Clark may never sound better, but I hope I show the same spirit and attitude when I'm 76.

This one's for you, Dick. :thumbsup:

Alvis 01-01-06 08:53 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

Dick Clark makes New Year's return
Had to sit out last year's New York event because of stroke

Sunday, January 1, 2006; Posted: 9:24 a.m. EST (14:24 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- There was more to celebrate than the ball dropping in Times Square for Dick Clark. The personality who's been ringing in the New Year for decades made his first television appearance since a stroke in late 2004.

Clark, sitting behind a desk with the street scene in the background, sounded hoarse and occasionally was hard to understand, but he said, "I wouldn't have missed this for the world."

"Last year I had a stroke," he explained. "It left me in bad shape. I had to teach myself how to walk and talk again. It's been a long, hard fight. My speech is not perfect but I'm getting there."

After his December 6, 2004, stroke, Clark had to sit out "New Year's Rockin' Eve" last year for the first time since starting it in 1972. Regis Philbin was his emergency sub.

Clark, 76, declined interviews and television appearances as he rehabilitated, and his spokesman said the former "American Bandstand" host viewed New Year's as his personal coming-out party. Tabloid pictures of Clark using a cane or wheelchair led to questions about whether he was up to it.

He remained seated during "New Year's Rockin' Eve," his right hand resting on the desk and his left arm by his side. Clark counted down the seconds until the ball dropped. He stayed at his desk past 1 a.m. as the crowds thinned out.

"I've had a wonderful time tonight," he said. "There's nothing like being in Times Square on New Year's Eve and believe me, this is one night I will never, ever forget."

With increased competition, it sometimes seemed as if Times Square was a giant television studio.

Philbin was back, this time for Fox. Carson Daly was host of an NBC party. News anchor Anderson Cooper was amid revelers for CNN, and Stuart Scott was on ESPN2. Kanye West was the featured guest at MTV's soiree.

But with Mariah Carey crooning for Clark, "New Year's Rockin' Eve" figured to be the dominant TV party of the night.

ABC and Clark's production company this year made plans to keep the show alive when Clark can no longer do it, signing "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest as his successor.

Seacrest opened "New Year's Rockin' Eve" with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and introduced Clark.

TheNightFlier 01-01-06 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Alvis
To me, he sounded like a man who had a pretty major stroke and is recovering. I salute the man for his willingness to get back on the horse and ride. Undoubtably, he knows how he sounds. I thought he looked great. No, he didn't sound like the Dick Clark we all know. But he certainly showed the spirit and hard working attitude that he has always exhibited.

Have you ever know anyone who suffered a stroke? Kirk Douglas had one a few years ago, and sounds about like Dick Clark when he talks.

Dick Clark may never sound better, but I hope I show the same spirit and attitude when I'm 76.

:thumbsup:

I thought he looked great for someone who had a bad stroke just a year ago. Of course he didn't sound too good, don't know what some of you expected. Took my uncle 2, 2 and a half years to regain his full speech and articulation after a lot of rehab. If Dick comes back next year (which I hope he does, can't stand Seacrest) he'll probably have improved even more.

jonw9 01-01-06 11:32 AM

Exactly. He know how he sounded, but New Year's isn't the same with-out him.

Regis was doing trivia with like 5 minutes to go!! Thats dumb. And why was everybody in Times Square? I mean I know it is the place to be, but you could hear the different acts from other channels on the one you are watching. I wish somebody would go back to Vegas.

zebop 01-01-06 12:20 PM

Regis's show was an embarrassment, I wish I had known that Dick Clark was on ABC this year, I would have watched...

Goldberg74 01-01-06 01:27 PM

I'm in the camp that loved seeing him back regardless of his physical ability. He sounded great to me and I didn't have to strain to understand him.

You could see his frustration in not being 100%, but you could also see that spark that he's had for the past 50 years doing what he loves and how he loved to be back.:up:

I loved how they showed him and his sweetheart sharing a kiss on the air... that's gotta be better than the smooch that Carson got from Wanda Sykes. :yack:

Peep 01-01-06 02:17 PM

While I'm happy to see that he's recovering from his Stroke, I don't feel like I actually have to "see" him recovering. It would have been nice to see a couple of brief spots with him and not have to endure him stumbling through a regular gig that was clearly beyond him.

ILikeDVD 01-01-06 02:19 PM

i checked out Carson's show. was delaed 30 min, cause the local San Diego aired a local party. Anyways, Carson to me kinda looked like a young Dick Clark. Maybe i was tired, but thats what i thought

Quatermass 01-01-06 02:26 PM

I think whoever directed the show really botched it. Too many fast cuts and weird angles. It was like an amateur production or somebody trying to be overly hip who just doesn't get it. Most of Mariah Carey's performance was shown from a "backstage" angle even though she was clearly performing to the camera in front of her. I thought I was having a seizure at one point during the LA portion when they had no shot more than a full second long during one of the Pussycat Dolls performances, thus ruining my chance to ogle.
Dick Clark looked better than I expected, though.

Rockmjd23 01-01-06 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Most of Mariah Carey's performance was shown from a "backstage" angle even though she was clearly performing to the camera in front of her.

Maybe the network was afraid of her slipping out of her flimsy top she was wearing.

The Cow 01-01-06 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
While I'm happy to see that he's recovering from his Stroke, I don't feel like I actually have to "see" him recovering. It would have been nice to see a couple of brief spots with him and not have to endure him stumbling through a regular gig that was clearly beyond him.

He's pretty much recovered as much as he's gonna be and you could have changed the channel.

And we must have watched a different show (East Coast time here), cuz he did just have brief spots. Ryan Seacrest handled most of the load.

Spiderbite 01-01-06 02:41 PM

My wife soundly agrees with you. She is a Speech Language Pathologist that works with adults for strokes, brain damage, etc. and she felt that he had obviously worked his ass off to get where he was last night.

It just made me sad though. :(

Jack Straw 01-01-06 03:14 PM

Couldn't they just recut pieces of prior "pre-stroke" broadcasts with his narration and just play it over pictures of future NYE celebrations? I mean it's not like the scene and circumstances vary that much year to year. It's crowded, freezing, and everyone's getting S-faced and acting like drunken buffoons trying to "F" with the anchor on the ground. That way, we could continue to enjoy Dick for years to come, even after he's gone.

zebop 01-01-06 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Couldn't they just recut pieces of prior "pre-stroke" broadcasts with his narration and just play it over pictures of future NYE celebrations? I mean it's not like the scene and circumstances vary that much year to year. It's crowded, freezing, and everyone's getting S-faced and acting like drunken buffoons trying to "F" with the anchor on the ground. That way, we could continue to enjoy Dick for years to come, even after he's gone.

Well they could do that but someone would f' up the clips and have Dick "introducing" Three Dog Night.

CKMorpheus 01-01-06 05:21 PM

Only good performances were done by 311, imho, and they weren't even playin their better songs.

gnradd21 01-01-06 06:27 PM

Not that I'm as naturally pretty as her, but I hope in 25 years I look as well preserved as Susanna Hoffs did last night. The other ladies in the band looked more their age, but she seriously could've passed for late 20s/early 30s. No way she's almost 47! If she's had any plastic surgery/botox it's minimal and not obvious (no freakish trout-like collagen either thank god). Maybe it's just good genes. And I thought Madonna and Kim Cattrall looked good for their age. Add Susanna to the list.

I thought the Bangles and 311 were about the only good performances...I'm longtime fans of both and wish they were still having success with their newer music. Hilary Duff seems nice but that "beat of my heart" song was complete repetitive shit. I was flipping around to different NYE shows so that's about all I remember from that one. I flipped by CNN to see a rap group performing and then in one of the split screens Anderson Cooper was waiting for his cue and trying not to look uncomfortable. :lol:

It was nice to see Dick Clark looking fairly healthy, but his voice was pretty rough so it was obvious why he hadn't done any interviews prior to the show. I have to admit getting a little teary eyed when he started trying to talk. It just made me think of all the intense rehab he's had to do just to get to this point. Just having the determination to want to get back out there in the public eye, at his age, was very admirable to me. I wish him the best in his continued recovery. :thumbsup:

Ryan Seacrest and Carson Daly, you two have a long way to go to take Dick's place. I don't know, nothing against them really...I just don't get any kind of genuinely kind and comforting vibe from them.

nightwing82 01-01-06 07:05 PM

Hillary Duff ended up being the best host out of all of them. I'd rather watch her than Daly and Seacrest. :eyebrow:

Rypro 525 01-01-06 07:18 PM

since i was having a party and watching movies with my friends, can someone try to find a video performance of "beat of my heart"

TheBigDave 01-01-06 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
since i was having a party and watching movies with my friends, can someone try to find a video performance of "beat of my heart"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZGBV0RHH

Rypro 525 01-01-06 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

wow, i really hate megaupload though (it takes a really long time)