DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Desperate Housewives: it won't get any better(POSSIBLE SPOILERS) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/450160-desperate-housewives-wont-get-any-better-possible-spoilers.html)

Dr. DVD 12-28-05 12:16 PM

Desperate Housewives: it won't get any better(POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

I was reading online about this plotine that will be developed on the coming eps. of DH.

For some reason, I doubt this will help the show's lackluster quality this season. The last thing this show needs right now is an "alocohol is bad and will ruin your life" lesson; been there, done that too many times before. Unless they plan to have Bree get drunk and do strip teases, I am not crazy about this plan.

riley_dude 12-28-05 01:02 PM

I read about this in the newspaper this morning. Horrible idea. They should have Marcia Cross' character turn into her character from Melrose. That might put some OOmph in the show.

They already did this on The OC and it was dumb then.

Red Dog 12-28-05 01:31 PM

What a fresh idea.

boogieman03 12-28-05 01:40 PM

UGH.
Lame.

rennervision 12-28-05 02:21 PM

It sounds as if her son turning her into the police is not going to happen. This show teases us with too many stories that never actually develop.

Josh H 12-28-05 02:24 PM

They're dangerously close to losing me. Especially since I no longer have Tivo and have to make time to watch while it airs.

Michael Corvin 12-28-05 02:51 PM

I don't watch the show, but I do like reading the feedback and this season had me wondering, has there ever been another show that was such a smash the first year(top 10) and just drop like a stone the second?

Red Dog 12-28-05 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't watch the show, but I do like reading the feedback and this season had me wondering, has there ever been another show that was such a smash the first year(top 10) and just drop like a stone the second?

You mean quantitatively (ratings) or qualitatively? DH isn't dropping like a stone in the ratings.

If you are talking qualitatively, one recent one comes to mind: The O.C.

MrX 12-28-05 03:07 PM

For me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, this show has become just a time killer until Grey's Anatomy comes on.

Timber 12-28-05 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
For me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, this show has become just a time killer until Grey's Anatomy comes on.

It's funny. At the start of the season Grey's Anatomy was just the 10 o'clock time filler on Sunday night for me. After the first couple of episodes that switched around. Now DH is just the show I watch the last 5 or so minutes of waiting for GA.

zebop 12-28-05 04:31 PM

You've got to love Cherry's rationalizing as to this hopefully potential storyline. I think it's ridiculous--and boring. I think a mental decline and perhaps a recovery sounds more feasible. I don't see Bree being an alcoholic--but "crazy" I can buy...

riley_dude 12-28-05 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

You must mean in quality because the ratings have not taken a dive-yet.
Interesting Question. What other shows have had a sophmore slump other than say, The OC and Twin Peaks (two soaps)???

MrX 12-28-05 05:46 PM

For me, I don't think anything nose dived between seasons 1 and 2 like Dark Angel did.

RichardW 12-28-05 06:04 PM

Twin Peaks

sjrab16 12-28-05 06:24 PM

I am with most of you, this show is slowly sucking more each week. I am close to taking it off my tivo list. it is more of a pain to watch each week instead of pleasure.

Tommy Ceez 12-28-05 06:56 PM

I dont watch, but im growing interested in this saga.

Whats missing?
What happened?
Is the fact that all the stars heads balooned and they became twats the cause?

riley_dude 12-28-05 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I dont watch, but im growing interested in this saga.

Whats missing?
What happened?
Is the fact that all the stars heads balooned and they became twats the cause?

Good question. Mark Cherry, I read, is developing another show. Is he away from the writers room too much?
Did they shoot their load, so to speak, too fast?

They have totally lost the "Fun-ness" this season and made the characters uninteresting and whiney.

Dr. DVD 12-28-05 07:23 PM

I wouldn't say they made the characters whiney as much as they took them away from being what made them special. Gabriel was the little wench who cheated on her hubby, now she has grown a heart so to speak and will do all it takes to keep him. Bree was always great with her dry humor, proper methods, and one liners about Rex; but now that Rex is gone, she has become a shell of what she once was, and the upcoming storyline won't help. Lynette was the stay at home mom who always kept her business wits about her, now to see her in action one wonders how she lasted so long in business in the first place. Susan was a flake, but you cared about her; she was clumsy but likeable. This season she is clumsy and annoyingly stupid.

riley_dude 12-28-05 07:31 PM

True! Very True. You hit the nail on the head.
I can see it now. Bree blowing up at all her friends in a drunken rage. It's been done sooo much. It's just not going to work.

Sparrow 12-28-05 09:06 PM

Yes, the quirkiness and appeal of each character has all but gone from the first season for me as well, so I don't make it a point to watch all episodes. However, I'll continue to watch in hopes that the writing gets better, but that may not be too much longer.

I doubt this plot twist will be good, but I'm not a writer on this show and it may just find its way to appeal to me :rolleyes:

Jimmy James 12-28-05 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wouldn't say they made the characters whiney as much as they took them away from being what made them special. Gabriel was the little wench who cheated on her hubby, now she has grown a heart so to speak and will do all it takes to keep him. Bree was always great with her dry humor, proper methods, and one liners about Rex; but now that Rex is gone, she has become a shell of what she once was, and the upcoming storyline won't help. Lynette was the stay at home mom who always kept her business wits about her, now to see her in action one wonders how she lasted so long in business in the first place. Susan was a flake, but you cared about her; she was clumsy but likeable. This season she is clumsy and annoyingly stupid.

I think you have identified the problem, but it also seems to be a temporal one to me. I think that the first three characters you identify have to go through the sorts of changes they're going through, but it was lunacy to schedule them to happen all at once. It would have been much better to tackle Bree first since Cherry was so hell bent on killing off Rex and let the other two simmer for later seasons before their characters changed. I think the Susan character was paper thin and really frankly has to be killed off or moved off the show eventually because she's too one note to do anything with. On the whole, it's just a waste how things went this year. I'm several episodes behind, but it's clear from what I have read about them that things don't really improve that much if at all from where I'm at. I'm thinking of dumping the show.

Dr. DVD 12-28-05 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I'm several episodes behind, but it's clear from what I have read about them that things don't really improve that much if at all from where I'm at. I'm thinking of dumping the show.

While it pains me to say this, I encourage you to do so. A drop in the ratings will be the only way the network and writers will take notice. If they don't make a change, then they should at least have the decency to pull the plug on it and not let it flop about like a fish out of water. My one weakness is that save for Hatcher, I like the actresses on this show and would love to see them get more notoriety, which given their age (Longoria excluded) might prove very difficult. At least Felicity Huffman might have a shot at an Oscar nod with Transamerica, but Sheridan and Cross, while beautiful, would face an uphill battle. In fact, I heard Cross was about ready to quit acting altogether after a long dryspell of not finding work, which is a shame because she is talented and attractive.

Goldberg74 12-28-05 10:42 PM

In fact, I heard Cross was about ready to quit acting altogether after a long dryspell of not finding work, which is a shame because she is talented and attractive.

She could always go back to Everwood. ;)

Jimmy James 12-28-05 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
She could always go back to Everwood. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Did they write her off due to her getting the DH gig, or were they done with her?

gatoinfeliz 12-28-05 10:46 PM

While it pains me to say this, I encourage you to do so. A drop in the ratings will be the only way the network and writers will take notice. If they don't make a change, then they should at least have the decency to pull the plug on it and not let it flop about like a fish out of water. My one weakness is that save for Hatcher, I like the actresses on this show and would love to see them get more notoriety, which given their age (Longoria excluded) might prove very difficult. At least Felicity Huffman might have a shot at an Oscar nod with Transamerica, but Sheridan and Cross, while beautiful, would face an uphill battle. In fact, I heard Cross was about ready to quit acting altogether after a long dryspell of not finding work, which is a shame because she is talented and attractive.

Actually I heard that up to the point she landed this role (and after Melrose Place) she decided to quit acting for a while to get her Masters degree in Psychology, which she now has.