DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dunkin' Donuts Ad Actor Michael Vale Dies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/450123-dunkin-donuts-ad-actor-michael-vale-dies.html)

lotsofdvds 12-28-05 01:12 AM

Dunkin' Donuts Ad Actor Michael Vale Dies

Dunkin' Donuts Ad Actor Michael Vale Dies
AP Newswire

Michael Vale, the actor best known for his portrayal of a sleepy-eyed Dunkin' Donuts baker who said "Time to make the doughnuts," has died. He was 83.

Vale died Saturday in New York City of complications from diabetes, according to son-in law Rick Reil.

Vale's long-running character, "Fred the Baker," for the doughnut maker's ad campaign lasted 15 years until he retired in 1997.

Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in a statement that Vale's character "became a beloved American icon that permeated our culture and touched millions with his sense of humor and humble nature."

Vale was born in Brooklyn and studied acting at the Dramatic Workshop in New York City with classmates Tony Curtis, Ben Gazzara and Rod Steiger.

A veteran of the Broadway stage, film and television, Vale appeared in more than 1,300 TV commercials.

Charlie Goose 12-28-05 06:24 AM

Didn't he also play Sam Breakstone in commercials? Those, and the DD commercials were among the very few that I didn't mind. I liked the DD one where he dressed as a woman to check out a competitor, while still wearing his mustache.
(fake female voice) "Were these donuts made fresh this morning?"
(clueless counter guy) "No.....maam."

ryuryu2949 12-28-05 08:34 AM

"Time to write the obituary."

Crashnburn 12-28-05 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
"Time to write the obituary."

When I saw this topic I wondered how long it would take for some one to make a tasteless "Time to make the doughnuts" joke. Two posts, people. It took exactly two posts until someone couldn't resist and posted a lame, tasteless joke like "Time to write the obituary." Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?

I'm sorry, I'm not usually the type to lecture but I just can't stand it when people don't show any respect for the people who have passed on. I'm getting off my soap box now.

theedge 12-28-05 09:30 AM

-rolleyes-

Must be a Krispy Kreme fan.....

WallyOPD 12-28-05 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Crashnburn
When I saw this topic I wondered how long it would take for some one to make a tasteless "Time to make the doughnuts" joke. Two posts, people. It took exactly two posts until someone couldn't resist and posted a lame, tasteless joke like "Time to write the obituary." Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?

I'm sorry, I'm not usually the type to lecture but I just can't stand it when people don't show any respect for the people who have passed on. I'm getting off my soap box now.

I don't see why humor is viewed as being disrespectful. When I pass on I would love it to know that people were able to joke about my death. I'd like to think Mr. Vale would have found that joke amusing, I did.

bboisvert 12-28-05 10:38 AM

I actually met Vale and I can say without the slightest reservation that he would have found the comment funny. He knew full well what his "legacy" would be -- and he had a sense of humor about it.

big whoppa 12-28-05 05:15 PM

The comment didn't seem mean-spirited.

Odd thing is a few weeks ago, I used his famous tag line on a friend to tell him hello and to get to work. He thought it was funny. I hadn't seen the commercial in years though Dunkin' Donuts are my favorite doughnuts.

Nice legacy though I'm sure it may have driven him a nuts when people who recognized him told Vale that line.

Nesbit 12-28-05 07:52 PM

Why couldn't you just say "R.I.P." or even "Do you remember that one commercial where he..." ?

The commercial where he what? Said, "Time to make the donuts"?

digidoh 12-28-05 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
The commercial where he what? Said, "Time to make the donuts"?

The commercial where he dragged himself to work and back, twice a day, shuffling his feet, muttering, "Time to make the donuts." As he was leaving his home the last time, he opened the door and met himself, who said, "I already made the donuts!"

Tommy Ceez 12-29-05 08:46 AM

That comment was less disrespectful to his legacy than the fact the Dunkin Doughnuts currently makes believe that it doesnt even sell Doughnuts in its ads, but instead is a high scale coffee house

Turd Ferguson 12-29-05 08:50 AM

"Time to get off the high horse."

Tommy Ceez 12-29-05 09:04 AM

"Time to calm the fuck down"

ryuryu2949 12-29-05 10:05 AM

Wow, I can't believe some of you are (or at least one of you is) so touchy. I think what you need is a nice Boston Kreme donut, or perhaps a six-pack of munchkins and some Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Anything to get something in your pie-hole so you can shut the F--- up.

As for me, "time to go back to work."

Charlie Goose 12-29-05 11:17 AM

Wow, this got rude in a hurry.

I'm staying clear if the 'Zoom Zoom' kid dies.

cleaver 12-29-05 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Wow, this got rude in a hurry.

I'm staying clear if the 'Zoom Zoom' kid dies.

If the kid from the Dell commercials gets shot in the face I call dibs on the first "Dude, you're getting a closed casket" post!

spainlinx0 12-29-05 06:58 PM

I thought he died a long time ago. Guess I confused it with his retirement.

Brain Stew 12-29-05 07:11 PM

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo...itz/ratpre.jpg

What a crazy ride...

theedge 12-29-05 09:52 PM

"Time to make this go away"

Charlie Goose 12-30-05 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver
If the kid from the Dell commercials gets shot in the face I call dibs on the first "Dude, you're getting a closed casket" post!

Okay, but I want the first "Can you bury me now? Good!" for that phone guy.

JP5683 12-31-05 02:46 AM

Dunkin' Donuts has zero locations around here, but yes, I remember the commercials.

Mr. Vale also appeared in an episode of the Cosby Show (too lazy to look up exact details)

He played the nervous father of a woman about to give birth. Her husband couldn't be there, so he was filling in.

It's the episode where Dr. Huxtable has three patients delivering on the same night, and also guest stars Patricia Richardson...