Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

best season long mysteries in the new Millennium (2000's and up) (spoiler alert)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: best season long mystery in the new millennium?
24 season one "who was the mole"
10.42%
alias season three "what happened to Sydney Bristow for those 2 missing years
2.08%
Lost "whats in the hatch"
22.92%
Veronica Mars "who killed Lilly Kane"
54.17%
Nip/Tuck "who is the carver"
4.17%
other
6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

best season long mysteries in the new Millennium (2000's and up) (spoiler alert)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will just say right off the top that this thread will contain big and key spoilers for certain shows, so you have been warned

anyways here are the choices
24 season 1 who was the mole conclusion
Spoiler:
Nina Myers

Alias season 3 what happened to sydney bristow for those 2 missing years (read here http://www.alias-tv.com/s3e11.html )
Lost season 1 whats in the hatch [spoiler] a man, and a so called "doomsday" divice that requires Hurley's numbers
veronica mars season 1 who killed Lilly Kane
Spoiler:
Aaron Echols

Nip/Tuck season 3 who is the carver
Spoiler:
Quintin Costa and Kit

i want this thread to see which had the best resolution as well as had the best clues/subtle hints/logical explimation.

my pick would be for veronica mars. they didn't go with the obvious choice, but the killer was logical and made sense (unlike 24, where in my personal opinion, they just went with someone who nobody thought would be it, and just that,
Old 12-23-05, 06:52 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted for "Veronica Mars." To me, it was the epitome of a great season. The individual episodes' stand-alone mysteries were good, and the overall mystery built up nicely, often using pieces assembled from those stand-alone mysteries. The season finale actually SOLVED THE MYSTERY (hello, "Lost"), answered the questions, and the solution was unexpected, yet not illogical. We never would have suspected him -- yet when it was revealed, we thought, "Why didn't we ever suspect him?!" It was a perfect mystery, in my opinion, in its creation and execution.

Some of what's happened on "Lost" has been very interesting, and I am a fan of that show. But no way was last season a good example of a season-long mystery: None of the mysteries of the hatch were solved until THIS season! So it doesn't count :-)
Old 12-23-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another vote for Veronica Mars. It wrapped up all the Season 1 mysteries(Lilly Kane's murder, Veronica's rape, what happened to her mom) by the finale and left enough loose ends to run with in Season 2.

I also don't think Lost should count since the mystery wasn't answered until Season 2, and it's been an unsatisfying answer at that. We still don't know much about Desmond or what the deal is with that doomsday machine. And I have a sneaking suspicion we ain't gonna learn much more by the end of this season.

24 didn't really feel like a season-long mystery. It's like they knew someone had to be the mole, so they just picked a random cast member and had them turn on a dime.

And as for Alias, I didn't really like the resolution of that mystery. Frankly, I didn't like hardly anything in Season 3. Sydney's 2 year disappearing act was when the show jumped the shark.
Old 12-23-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
I voted VM, and IMHO it's the only choice that actually was a season long mystery.

They announced the mystery in the first episode, and every episode of the season contained some information or revelation about the mystery and it was solved in the final episode.

PLUS, VM is the only show on the list where the solution to the mystery was all planned out in advance. Very obviously on all the other shows they were just making it up as they went along.
Old 12-27-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without a doubt, it's Veronica Mars...like Dooku mentioned, it was a Season long mystery and it drove the show... I haven't cared this much about a murder since MURDER ONE... An excellent mystery on one of TV's best shows...

MATT
Old 12-28-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's another vote for VM.
Old 01-02-06, 01:20 AM

im thinkin i gotta watch that show (vm). 24 would be my vote just based on the fact that lost and 24 are the only shows there ive seen. lost has too many mysteries and i felt letdown by the hatch-insides
Old 01-02-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should, it was the best 45 bucks ive ever spent on a tv show blind.