DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office: UK/USA Showdown, Part V - Tim vs. Jim (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/449568-office-uk-usa-showdown-part-v-tim-vs-jim.html)

Merkin Muffley 12-21-05 12:59 PM

The Office: UK/USA Showdown, Part V - Tim vs. Jim

Help the Wernham-Hogg/Dunder-Mifflin Human Resources Department create The Ultimate Office Staff.

The last round saw fan-favorites Keith vs. Kevin in a neck-and-neck battle to the finish. Now we'll tackle probably the most important character on the show...the everyman heart-and-soul of "The Office"...

Tim
http://www.strangecock.com/images/office/tim.jpg

vs.

Jim
http://www.strangecock.com/images/office/jim.jpg

Vote for your favorite and tell us why your pick should be part of...The Ultimate Office Staff.

Winners:
Part I - Gareth vs. Dwight...Dwight
Part II - Finchy vs. Packer...Finchy
Part III - Dawn vs. Pam...Pam

Merkin Muffley 12-21-05 01:09 PM

This is by far the toughest decision for me.

I was furious with Jim after seeing the pilot for the US version. In addition to working from the same script, it seemed like Jim was ripping off Tim breath-for-breath, mannerism-for-mannerism. I was determined to hate Jim from the beginning. But like most people around here, I feel like the US cast has grown into their own, including Jim.

So while trying to find the deciding factor between the two, I guess it came down to this: Tim has more struggle going on, Jim just seems to be a regular guy. Tim lives at home, resigns himself to working at Wernham-Hogg, and gets pathetically struck down by Dawn (and Lee) again and again. Jim, however, seems to have a realatively healthy social life, a sort-of girlfriend, and a not-too-hurtful crush on Pam.

So while both are the most likeable characters on their respective versions, I'm going to go with Tim. He's a little more complex of a character; he seems to elicit our sympathy more than Jim.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 12-21-05 01:26 PM

jim

Damfino 12-21-05 02:52 PM

Tim.

pinata242 12-21-05 03:08 PM

Cripple fight!!!

Oh, wrong show, sorry.

I too picked Tim for all the same reasons you stated, Merkin. Also, as far as I know, Jim doesn't have anything nearly as cool as Hat FM.

Bill Needle 12-21-05 04:04 PM

I prefer Tim's sense of humor in the UK version regarding his handling of Gareth, and I also think he is better at pulling off the subtleties of his unrequited relationship with Dawn without just coming off like a pussy because quite simply Martin Freeman is a much better actor. So I must choose Tim.

However, I think Jim, like Michael, will benefit from the increased volume of material due to the length of US seasons and will develop more into his own distinct character. But that just hasn't happened for me yet.

andicus 12-21-05 04:08 PM

Very close for me, too. I also echo Merkin's sentiment. Well stated.

Tim it is!

Nesbit 12-21-05 04:12 PM

I voted Tim to give him the lead booyah bitches.

Groucho 12-21-05 04:13 PM

Tim, no question. Jim is a very funny character but Tim is more believable as a talented, likeable fellow who's lack of motivation is the only thing holding him back.

Bill Needle 12-21-05 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I voted Tim to give him the lead booyah bitches.

Close it quick! so we don't repeat the Keith/Kevin embarrassment.

Doughboy 12-21-05 06:22 PM

I'll give Tim the edge since he's a darker, more realistic character.

ryuryu2949 12-21-05 08:23 PM

I voted for Jim. The looks he gives while giving the camera "confessionals" are priceless. Plus, he is not as outright mean to Dwigt as Tim is to Gareth.

B.A. 12-21-05 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Tim, no question. Jim is a very funny character but Tim is more believable as a talented, likeable fellow who's lack of motivation is the only thing holding him back.

:up:

onebyone 12-21-05 10:22 PM

I went with Tim. I love Jim too, but he is clearly a Tim spin off. You got to go with the real thing.

Mordred 12-21-05 11:58 PM

Jim is great, but Tim is even better. One of my alltime favorite TV characters.

worrywort 12-22-05 12:22 AM

Jim needs to grow a pair, so Tim

BigDan 12-22-05 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

I'm with Groucho here and voted for Tim accordingly (probably my only UK Office vote).

Tommy Ceez 12-22-05 09:13 AM

I voted Jim, because Tim just came off as a little bitch

Tommy Ceez 12-22-05 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Close it quick! so we don't repeat the Keith/Kevin embarrassment.

FANBOY ALERT! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a FANBOY ALERT!

Tracer Bullet 12-22-05 09:14 AM

Jim, purely because he's hotter.

A terrible basis for a vote, but eh.

Bill Needle 12-22-05 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
FANBOY ALERT! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a FANBOY ALERT!

Damn straight.

Damfino 12-22-05 12:20 PM

I see Tim is leading by a decent margin so I'm starting to wonder if fans of the UK show have even seen the US version. :)

Nesbit 12-22-05 12:33 PM

I voted for Tim but in a real fight Jim would mop the floor with that limey's ass.

ryuryu2949 12-22-05 01:12 PM

These new polls come out too quickly, and the old polls take too long to close. Can we wait until this one is done before the next one comes out please?

Jimmy James 12-22-05 01:24 PM

I have no objection to the timing of the polls, but it may be best to take a bit of a break after this one so we don't lose voters who are away for the holiday season.