DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What (long running) tv show have you seen every single episode of? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/449230-what-long-running-tv-show-have-you-seen-every-single-episode.html)

OldBoy 12-18-05 04:22 PM

What (long running) tv show have you seen every single episode of?

I would have to say I have seen every single episode of:
"Cheers"
"Seinfeld"
"Friends"
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
I can almost say "ER" but I missed a lot of this year's horrible season.
"Smallville"
"Beverly Hills 90210"
"Melrose Place"
"Family Ties"
"Wings"

Nick Martin 12-18-05 04:55 PM

ANGEL
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
TNG
Voyager
Buffy
C.S.I.
Seinfeld
Married...With Children
Dawson's Creek
Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air

That's all that come to mind now.

movieking 12-18-05 05:30 PM

Have to be The Simpsons...

IDrinkMolson 12-18-05 05:34 PM

The only series I know for sure is The X-Files.
I'm missing one episode of South Park.

Deftones 12-18-05 05:35 PM

Let's see:

The Simpsons
Family Guy
Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Wings
CSI
Quantum Leap
Saved by the Bell

Maybe Friends, but I'm not sure about that one.

[Edited to add several shows I missed]

Jadzia 12-18-05 05:43 PM

ST:TNG
ST:DS9
ST:VOY
ST:ENT
Buffy
Melrose Place
LA Law
Charlie's Angels
Dawson's Creek
CSI
Survivor
Amazng Race
Outer Limits (new)
The Practice
Ally McBeal

Barry Woodward 12-18-05 05:47 PM

Alias
Angel
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Farscape
Felicity
Friends
Quantum Leap
Smallville
The Twilight Zone
The X-Files

(shows with four or more seasons)

JMLEWIS1 12-18-05 05:53 PM

L&O
Saved by the Bell
Real World
LA Law
CSI
Seinfeld
The Brady Bunch up to the Oliver years

Draven 12-18-05 06:17 PM

TNG
Buffy
Friends
Probably CSI - I never see a rerun that I haven't seen
South Park - actually, I might have missed one this season...

Jimmy James 12-18-05 06:29 PM

I have seen every:

Angel
Gilmore Girls
Everwood
Smallville

I wish I could name some non-WB show, but I'm like one ep away on just about every non-WB show I watch that could be considered "long running".

ETA: Felicity. I'm stopping now because this is getting embarrassing.

TheBang 12-18-05 06:51 PM

I'll go with the 4 seasons or more limit too:

Star Trek TNG
Star Trek Enterprise
The X-Files
Survivor
Lois & Clark
Smallville
South Park
Stargate SG-1
Scrubs
Justice League (Unlimited)
Punk'd

Series I'm working on:
Star Trek TOS
Star Trek Voyager (it's really hard for me to get through the 10 or so episodes I haven't watched)
Star Trek DS9
Coupling
Babylon 5
Farscape
Transformers (all U.S. series. Currently missing Beast Wars and Beast Machines)
The Amazing Race
Sex and the City
Sopranos

I routinely print out episode lists (particularly for older series) from epguides.com and cross them off as I see episodes. Way back in the day before the Internet, for TNG, I had to read episode guides in magazines like Starlog, to find all the episodes I hadn't seen. Then, I'd have to religiously check the TV Guide each week to make sure I'd catch the episodes when they aired in syndication. I'm such a completist nerd.

I remember for The X-Files, it was so hard for me to catch the last 2 episodes I hadn't seen, Nisei and 731 from Season 3. It was like, every time the syndicated schedule would be showing all the episodes in order, and then as soon as it got to Nisei/731, for some reason, it would skip over those, and go to the next episodes after them. It took like 2 years of trying before I finally saw those eps. I felt like it was the Holy Grail of syndicated repeats.

Another Holy Grail for me was the Pip (or Great Expectations) episode from South Park Season 4. I've been watching for that one to air for like 3 years, but Comedy Central NEVER shows it. That was the only one I needed to complete my South Park series. I only caught it about 2 months ago when it was aired in syndication on one of the local channels, and I happened to notice it was upcoming in my TiVo guide.

For TNG, it was the first season episode, The Last Outpost, which introduced the Ferengi. It took like a year to catch that in syndication.

I never dreamed that there would be a day when you could buy (or download) entire TV series. It used to be you had a few chances to catch an episode on broadcast TV, and, if you're lucky and the series is really popular, maybe you could catch stuff later in syndication.

Goldberg74 12-18-05 07:05 PM

I've seen every episode of:

Friends
CSI
CSI: Miami
Crossing Jordan
Without a Trace
Everwood

Almost but not quite:

L&O: Special Victims Unit
American Idol

TheNightFlier 12-18-05 07:12 PM

X-Files
South Park
Simpsons
Night Court
Seinfeld
Law and Order and SVU
Quantum Leap

das Monkey 12-18-05 07:28 PM

For myself, I'll disqualify anything under 500 episodes. I think that just leaves <i>Pardon the Interruption</i>. I also want to say <i>The Daily Show</i>, as I'm certain I've never missed a Jon Stewart episode, but I probably missed about 10 Kilborn eps over the years.

das

movie diva 12-18-05 10:32 PM

C.s.i (all Of The Series)
Law And Order (all Of The Series)
Buffy
Angel
Mash
Star Trek Tos

Tscott 12-19-05 12:19 AM

Homicide: Life on the Street
Buffy
Angel
X-Files
Xena
Gilmore Girls
Felicity
Monty Python
Lexx
Babylon 5
West Wing
Ally McBeal

And as soon as Six Feet Under Season 5 comes out you can add that to my list.

That's all I'm sure of. There may be more like Night Court or Moonlighting, etc. that I might have seen all of as well but it's been so long it'd be hard to verify.

Maxflier 12-19-05 12:21 AM

Survivor
Alias
Saved By the Bell
Beverly Hills 90210

Count Dooku 12-19-05 01:38 AM

Previously posted by posters who posted before me posting:
Smallville
C.S.I.
Dawson's Creek
Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air
Family Guy
Quantum Leap
Saved by the Bell
Star Trek: Enterprise
Charlie's Angels
Survivor
Amazng Race
Ally McBeal
Alias
Farscape
Felicity
The Brady Bunch
Gilmore Girls
Everwood
Lois & Clark
Scrubs
Punk'd
CSI: Miami
Crossing Jordan
Without a Trace
Everwood
Star Trek: TOS
Homicide: Life on the Street
Xena
Monty Python
Lexx
West Wing
Angel
Babylon 5
None of these shows are "long-running".

When a show lasts for seven years, like Buffy and 3 of the Star Treks (which were listed by several people), it has simply completed what is considered to be a normal successful run.

You guys are listing shows that lasted five years and less, or shows that have only been on 5-6 years.

Consider there shows:
Gunsmoke --20 years
The Simpsons -- 17 years
Law and Order --16 years
Bonanza and Dallas --14 years
Hawaii Five-O, ER, NYPD Blue -- 12 years
MASH, Happy Days, The Jeffersons, Cheers, Frasier --11 years
Friends, Married with Children, Beverly Hills 90210 --10 years

You wanna talk nine years? The Facts of Life ran for nine years!

Come on, people.

My List: The Simpsons

Tscott 12-19-05 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
None of these shows are "long-running".

Oh, we're supposed to use your definition of "long running"? Excuse me. I didn't know. Every show I personally listed lasted 4 seasons or more - that was my personal cut off point (and it looks like many others cut off point as well). A four year or more commitment seemed like a good definition of "long running" to me.

BTW, Homicide lasted 7 seasons, so if Buffy counts by your definition, it does too. Also why didn't you pick on Angel or Babylon 5, when other shows you did pick on (Xena, Gilmore Girls) have lasted longer?

Quake1028 12-19-05 02:21 AM

Family Guy
Pardon the Interruption

Close on several others.

Daniel-A 12-19-05 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Pardon the Interruption

That's impressive as it is on way more often than most anything.

I can honestly say Ive seen every episode of Friends and ER.

TheKing 12-19-05 04:13 AM

Alias
Family Guy
Futurama
Married...With Children
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
South Park
Star Trek: TOS

Working on as DVD's come out:
MacGyver (4 Seasons down, 3 to go)
The Dukes Of Hazzard (4 Seasons down, 3 to go, I have 5, but haven't started it yet)
In Living Color (4 Down, 1 to go)

Count Dooku 12-19-05 04:46 AM

In response to Tscott's post--

Oh, we're supposed to use your definition of "long running"? Excuse me. I didn't know.
You can use another definition if you want, but could you, at least, use one that acknowledges that the word LONG does, in fact, already have a definition?

LONG: Of relatively great duration, as in "a long time".

When actors are signed to TV show contracts, the contracts are for seven years.
That is why the normal run for a successful TV series is seven years.
Some shows just last four or five years. These shows are "just successful enough" to be viable for syndication.
If the show is very successful, then The Powers That Be will be willing to pay the inevitable increased salary demands that come after the seven year contracts have expired.
I mentioned, as an example, that The Facts Of Life ran for nine years.
It would require time and effort, so I don't want to do it, but I could give you a list of 100 TV shows that also ran for at least nine years.

Every show I personally listed lasted 4 seasons or more - that was my personal cut off point (and it looks like many others cut off point as well). A four year or more commitment seemed like a good definition of "long running" to me.
A TV show that lasts just four years is considered a failure --because it failed to last the normal seven years, or even the five years that ensures syndication marketability.
When someone refers to a TV show as "long running", that's supposed to be a positive thing.

I have no idea why you think four years is a good definition of long running.

It is normal for people in the United States to graduate from high school.
Which means it is normal for people in the United States to attend school for 13 years.
If someone told you that they went to school for 9 years, would you consider that a long time?
Do you consider someone who has graduated from high school to have attended school for a long time?
If someone is getting their PhD, and has been in school for 20 years, what word would you use to describe that?

BTW, Homicide lasted 7 seasons, so if Buffy counts by your definition, it does too. Also why didn't you pick on Angel or Babylon 5, when other shows you did pick on (Xena, Gilmore Girls) have lasted longer?
Homicide started in 1993 and ended in 1999.
It's first season had 9 episodes. It's second season had 4 episodes.
You say it ran seven seasons. I say it ran six years.

Angel was listed multiple times, and in my effort to delete repeated titles, I accidentally erased Angel from the list. I have edited the post to correct the error.
I've never seen Babylon Five. I didn't know how long it ran and I didn't bother to check. An oversight, now corrected.

There were 61 episodes of Lexx, and 45 episodes of Monty Python. Long running?
Just for comparison's sake, I'll let you know that there were 296 episodes of 90210, 227 episodes of JAG, and 163 episodes of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

If you (and others) choose to interpret the thread as simply being "TV shows that I've seen every episode of" then fine, enjoy your reindeer games, but that's not what the title says.

BTW, I've seen every episode of Wonderfalls and Firefly.

:bye:

nightwing82 12-19-05 08:33 AM

Oy, the things we argue about.

Thus I will just say:

Friends
Frasier
Seinfeld

I've also seen every episode of Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch but I don't know if those ran long enough :p

potvin48 12-19-05 08:46 AM

For me:

Angel
Buffy
Survivor
Amazing Race (Thanks to GSN!)
Wings
Cheers
The Shield

On a side note: Which TV show do you have the most DVD's of, but have yet to watch any of them?
I have all available seasons of Stargate, but have not seen 1 second of that show (not even on regular TV). I also have some of the West Wing seasons and haven't had a chance to start on that yet either.