TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of Horror - "Cigarette Burns" 12/16/05

Old 12-16-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masters of Horror - "Cigarette Burns" 12/16/05

Masters of Horror - John Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns"

Spoiler:
Jimmy Sweetman (Norman Reedus) knows how to find rare film prints. However, nothing could prepare him for the daunting search for "Le Fin du Monde," a film allegedly shown only once and rumored to have driven its audience into a murderous frenzy before the theater mysteriously erupted in flames. Working for a shadowy patron, Jimmy's increasingly obsessive investigation becomes nightmarish and deadly. Finally he discovers "Le Fin du Monde"'s infamy is well deserved. This supernatural "Chinatown" is a chilling look at the power of cinema and the lengths to which we will go to satiate our private demons.

Okay... This makes up for the hours of utter shit I've had to watch as part of this series. I'm a big fan of Carpenter's work, but since this was a part of what has, for the most part been such a horrible series, I was still worried. Just wow. Amazing. Utterly amazing. Thrilling, absolutely horrific scenes (Sticking his hand in a guy's cut throat? Wow. A guy stabbing himself in the forehead and then in the eye? ...) and an awesome story. I'll pick up the $60 inevitable DVD set of this series for this episode alone.

The other so-called "Masters" of Horror need to be forced to watch this episode for a few days straight to pick up what an actual Master's work looks like.
Old 12-17-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best story.
Best arterial spray.
Best music (Guess it runs in the family)

And this show did something that the other episodes failed to do--Creep me out! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heart began to pound a little right when the film is loaded into that last projector.

Thank you, John. I love ya!
Old 12-17-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The plot reminded me of Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, so I'm glad to see this worked well.
Old 12-17-05, 03:02 AM

Finally, some truly creepy stuff to come out of this series. Excellent episode that probably won't be topped... This one makes "Masters of Horror" a worth while endeavor...
Old 12-17-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed, this was the sort of thing horror fans were hoping for when first hearing about this series. Story-wise, it reminded me a lot of "Books of Blood"-era Clive Barker: a creative story "different" than the usual fare, no-holds barred, a sense of otherworldly and cosmic horror, and not usually wrapping things in a nice little bow at the end. For Carpenter, it helps wash the taste of "Ghosts of Mars" out of the mouth.
Old 12-17-05, 05:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it was cool when the machete went into her neck. best...scene...ever!

so was there a preview for another or was this it because there is no listing for next week (though it is holiday)?
Old 12-17-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
so was there a preview for another or was this it because there is no listing for next week (though it is holiday)?
I wondered about that too.
Old 12-17-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best hour of TV i've seen in a long time. it could've worked as a movie too.
Carpenter is back.
Old 12-17-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the concept of the film having power over you before you've even seen it was kind of annoying as was the relative ease with which he tracked down this seemingly legendary force of evil, but on the whole, I liked it. I also liked seeing Gwynyth Walsh. Like others, this is what I was expecting when I heard about this series. It wasn't spectacular, but it was very good and worth the effort to sit and watch it.

das
Old 12-18-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I thought the concept of the film having power over you before you've even seen it was kind of annoying as was the relative ease with which he tracked down this seemingly legendary force of evil,
I know I don't speak for everyone out there, but in a way, I could understand how the force goes into effect before actually watching the film. It's just the way I, and other film enthusiasts would feel, if they got their hands on a copy of the long-lost, London After Midnight. That film appears to be
forever lost, but could there be a specific reason why no one could see it again? That's the kind of mentality I had once the character of Kirby was given this quest.

That's what made this episode creepy to me. Unlike Ring/Ringu where once you watch the movie, bad shit happens. But the obsession of watching the movie is where the haunting begins.
Old 12-18-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I missed the beginning of the episode but I have a question. What the hell was that freaky chained up white-blue demon?
Old 12-18-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This episode was co-written by Drew McWeeney, AKA Moriarty for those of you who read Aint-it-Cool-News.
Old 12-18-05, 07:54 AM
Banned

The Masters Of Horror thing is a cool idea. I've got a couple on my DVR I still need to watch.
Old 12-18-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howiefan
I missed the beginning of the episode but I have a question. What the hell was that freaky chained up white-blue demon?
I only caught part of this, but I thought it might have been an Angel. The wounds on its back were where the wings were severed.
Old 12-18-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopes fulfilled. Best ep of the show.

Udo Kier threading his intestines into the projector...
Old 12-18-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I thought the concept of the film having power over you before you've even seen it was kind of annoying as was the relative ease with which he tracked down this seemingly legendary force of evil, but on the whole, I liked it.
I completely agree with this nitpick -- this bit seems like a victim of editting to 60 minutes. I mean, this is a movie that is very well-known among film fans, and has been the subject of many search attempts, and
Spoiler:
our hero finds it in 2 links: His French buddy who sends him to the snuff guys who sends him to the film. I'm not expecting the tediousness of the search to be shown, but I would've liked a comment, a montage, just something to show us that the guy had to do some work to find this movie, and earn the reputation the character's supposed to have for being the greatest lost-film sleuth in the world.
Old 12-18-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Spoiler:
Yeah, it's supposed to be an angel. The whole idea being that film shot of powerful, but true, events attains a power that "fiction" filmmaking doesn't have (hence the link to the snuff guys). And that snuffing an angel would be as bad as things get. Filming the snuff was supposed to somehow trap a portion of the angel's "soul" (or something like that). I think the chained angel is the one who was killed in the film -- existing in a kind of undead state. Udo Kier (the rich guy who has the angel) explains that he knows the film still exists because the angel is still there. I think destroying the film would release that last bit of the angel, and set it free. That's why the angel was so grateful at the end. Presumably he was off to destroy the film for good (or at least is free to track down the remaining prints -- after all, doesn't the director's wife still have other prints?).
Old 12-18-05, 03:21 PM

I agree -- best ep of the series thus far.
Old 12-18-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with eveyone here. I do think this was the best ep of the series. I think it probably rings especially true for anyone that is a true film nut. I especially liked the idea that filmmakers have an unspoken line that they never cross in regards to affecting the audience. And what little of the film we do get to glimpse at I found much more disturbing, effective then the video from The Ring. I really enjoyed it. Now here's hoping this marks a comeback for Mr. Carpenter.
Old 12-18-05, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so was this the last ep. or more to come?
Old 12-18-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
so was this the last ep. or more to come?
There are more to come, but I guess Showtime is putting the show on holiday hiatus.
Old 12-19-05, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
There are more to come, but I guess Showtime is putting the show on holiday hiatus.
I can't wait for the Miike episode....

I think I recall Showtime is airing all the episodes (so far) back to back on the 30th of December.
Old 12-19-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I can't wait for the Miike episode....
I'm still trippin' that the first American actor to appear in a Miike project is......BILLY DRAGO!
Old 12-21-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best episode I've seen so far as well. The Deer Woman and this have restored my faith in the series. As others have commented Carpenter's music was great as well. It had a Philip Glass' Candyman feel to it which I love.

My nitpicks: It was too easy to find the film. Also the director took years to be affected, but everyone else was killing themselves or others on the first viewing. He watched it for a year and only after that went crazy? His wife should have had some line about it taking longer to bother him because he was the director.
Old 12-22-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was one of the better episodes but it was still weak. Appears everyone really wants to think this was great...but in comparison to the rest of the series so far, I guess it was.

I guess they have to pay The Ring royalties for using it's basic structure?

I will admit that the intestines part made me want to

The main actor was pretty bad. The storyline was weak & familiar. The ending was expected. I just don't get the praise.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.