Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Tivo worth it if you already have a TV Tuner Card on the PC?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is Tivo worth it if you already have a TV Tuner Card on the PC?

Old 12-15-05, 12:25 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Tivo worth it if you already have a TV Tuner Card on the PC?

I am thinking about getting a tivo..is it worth it if you already can record shows on your computer? I get the guide for free on the computer, plus I can transfer the shows around. On the other hand, Tivo's interface seems a lot more user friendly.
Old 12-15-05, 06:03 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Mayberry, NC. Really, it is
Posts: 1,787
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the TiVo. You will never regret it.
Old 12-15-05, 07:07 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apples and oranges. Tivo is more than just recording shows. It changes the way you view TV. Its the simplicity and the intelligence of the software that makes the Tivo.
Old 12-15-05, 07:37 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
I am thinking about getting a tivo..is it worth it if you already can record shows on your computer? I get the guide for free on the computer, plus I can transfer the shows around. On the other hand, Tivo's interface seems a lot more user friendly.
Depends. If you are using Sage, Myth, or some other PVR software the tivo is likely unnecessary.
Old 12-15-05, 07:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,184
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried Tivo and I think my Comcast DVR is easier.
Old 12-15-05, 08:42 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TiVo is easy.....recording on the PC may not be as simple (though Myth or Sage make it pretty damn easy) but it offers a whole lot more versatility.
Old 12-16-05, 09:46 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 3,509
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
I've tried Tivo and I think my Comcast DVR is easier.
It's also easier to ride a bike than to drive a Ferrari - doesn't mean it's better.
Old 12-16-05, 01:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,236
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The true value in a Tivo is the software and guide data. The hardware is the same as any other DVR. Things like being able to set a season pass so that you never miss a show. Having the best guide in the business that knows when programs start early/end late. Allowing the user to tweak settings so that a show is recorded properly. Recognizing when shows overlap and intelligently recording them. There is also an official mechanism to offload the shows to a computer for pressing to DVD.

IMO, the best part of a Tivo is how it learns your preferences. Once you provide a few opinions on what you like/dislike, it will search out and record shows for you. The Tivo becomes an extension of yourself.

I know of no other DVR or PC solution that is able to do all this. The fact that it is easy enough for a technology novice to use is icing on the cake.

And your PC guide data is nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate as the Tivo guide. The full show data is almost as extensive as IMDB.
Old 12-17-05, 01:52 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo is great but its slightly overrated IMO. I preferr my old cox dvr over tivo, it was much simpler to use, cheaper, had two tuners and better interface IMO. Only downside was season pass option was sort of lacking.

I moved and now use sage and tivo and would love to figure out how to get sage in a nice standalone unit like tivo later on.

I personally find it much more flexible and user friendly than tivo if you have time to play around with some of the plug ins and stvs (basically themes). I prefer its guide over tivos, and with some stv you can even bring up information from imdb (not sure how its implemented).

Once tivo gets multiple tuners, i might jump and get another one to replace sage just for simplicity sake, unless sage comes out with a better, cheaper standalone..



Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
The true value in a Tivo is the software and guide data. The hardware is the same as any other DVR. Things like being able to set a season pass so that you never miss a show. Having the best guide in the business that knows when programs start early/end late. Allowing the user to tweak settings so that a show is recorded properly. Recognizing when shows overlap and intelligently recording them. There is also an official mechanism to offload the shows to a computer for pressing to DVD.

IMO, the best part of a Tivo is how it learns your preferences. Once you provide a few opinions on what you like/dislike, it will search out and record shows for you. The Tivo becomes an extension of yourself.

I know of no other DVR or PC solution that is able to do all this. The fact that it is easy enough for a technology novice to use is icing on the cake.

And your PC guide data is nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate as the Tivo guide. The full show data is almost as extensive as IMDB.
Old 12-18-05, 02:00 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
nazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 5,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
The true value in a Tivo is the software and guide data. The hardware is the same as any other DVR. Things like being able to set a season pass so that you never miss a show. Having the best guide in the business that knows when programs start early/end late. Allowing the user to tweak settings so that a show is recorded properly. Recognizing when shows overlap and intelligently recording them. There is also an official mechanism to offload the shows to a computer for pressing to DVD.

IMO, the best part of a Tivo is how it learns your preferences. Once you provide a few opinions on what you like/dislike, it will search out and record shows for you. The Tivo becomes an extension of yourself.

I know of no other DVR or PC solution that is able to do all this. The fact that it is easy enough for a technology novice to use is icing on the cake.

And your PC guide data is nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate as the Tivo guide. The full show data is almost as extensive as IMDB.
This is exactly what I was thinking so I'll just add my for Tivo.
Old 12-18-05, 09:49 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJeff
I moved and now use sage and tivo and would love to figure out how to get sage in a nice standalone unit like tivo later on.

I personally find it much more flexible and user friendly than tivo if you have time to play around with some of the plug ins and stvs (basically themes). I prefer its guide over tivos, and with some stv you can even bring up information from imdb (not sure how its implemented).
Everything you say is true... and Sage will handle multiple drives/tuners and HD tuners. Plus my favorite perk, no monthly fee.
On the downside, you really have to be fairly proficent with computers and willing to research/tinker to get the most from Sage.

Last edited by Easy; 12-18-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 01:34 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went and visited the sage site after reading this thread.

I highly recommend you visit and try out there demo. They now sell media extenders which basically are like the windows MC extenders, so you can watch your tv easily away from your computer.

I recommend the sageMC stv at the moment. You can find it on there forums.

Originally Posted by chanster
I am thinking about getting a tivo..is it worth it if you already can record shows on your computer? I get the guide for free on the computer, plus I can transfer the shows around. On the other hand, Tivo's interface seems a lot more user friendly.

Last edited by MrJeff; 12-18-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 04:05 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,076
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo is poopoo IMO. Monthly fees, possible industry limitations (brodcast flags, self destructing shows, limited viewing times).

I have one box that uses MythTV with 2TB of storage allowing me to archive all of my shows in the format of my choosing and for the amount of time of my choosing.

I also just hooked up an EyeTV from Elgato on my dual G5 Power Mac... WOW! Much more powerful and user friendly. Wide range of choice on formats and exporting. Very simple interface for cutting out all commercials and any other unwanted content. Tivo falls far far behind on the power we have have with our computers.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.