DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Is Tivo worth it if you already have a TV Tuner Card on the PC? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/448895-tivo-worth-if-you-already-have-tv-tuner-card-pc.html)

chanster 12-15-05 11:25 AM

Is Tivo worth it if you already have a TV Tuner Card on the PC?

I am thinking about getting a tivo..is it worth it if you already can record shows on your computer? I get the guide for free on the computer, plus I can transfer the shows around. On the other hand, Tivo's interface seems a lot more user friendly.

NC-36 12-15-05 05:03 PM

Get the TiVo. You will never regret it.

CRM114 12-15-05 06:07 PM

Apples and oranges. Tivo is more than just recording shows. It changes the way you view TV. Its the simplicity and the intelligence of the software that makes the Tivo.

Easy 12-15-05 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by chanster
I am thinking about getting a tivo..is it worth it if you already can record shows on your computer? I get the guide for free on the computer, plus I can transfer the shows around. On the other hand, Tivo's interface seems a lot more user friendly.

Depends. If you are using Sage, Myth, or some other PVR software the tivo is likely unnecessary.

GuessWho 12-15-05 06:42 PM

I've tried Tivo and I think my Comcast DVR is easier.

clemente 12-15-05 07:42 PM

TiVo is easy.....recording on the PC may not be as simple (though Myth or Sage make it pretty damn easy) but it offers a whole lot more versatility.

Morf 12-16-05 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I've tried Tivo and I think my Comcast DVR is easier.

It's also easier to ride a bike than to drive a Ferrari - doesn't mean it's better. ;)

Pistol Pete 12-16-05 12:31 PM

The true value in a Tivo is the software and guide data. The hardware is the same as any other DVR. Things like being able to set a season pass so that you never miss a show. Having the best guide in the business that knows when programs start early/end late. Allowing the user to tweak settings so that a show is recorded properly. Recognizing when shows overlap and intelligently recording them. There is also an official mechanism to offload the shows to a computer for pressing to DVD.

IMO, the best part of a Tivo is how it learns your preferences. Once you provide a few opinions on what you like/dislike, it will search out and record shows for you. The Tivo becomes an extension of yourself.

I know of no other DVR or PC solution that is able to do all this. The fact that it is easy enough for a technology novice to use is icing on the cake.

And your PC guide data is nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate as the Tivo guide. The full show data is almost as extensive as IMDB.

MrJeff 12-17-05 12:52 AM

Tivo is great but its slightly overrated IMO. I preferr my old cox dvr over tivo, it was much simpler to use, cheaper, had two tuners and better interface IMO. Only downside was season pass option was sort of lacking.

I moved and now use sage and tivo and would love to figure out how to get sage in a nice standalone unit like tivo later on.

I personally find it much more flexible and user friendly than tivo if you have time to play around with some of the plug ins and stvs (basically themes). I prefer its guide over tivos, and with some stv you can even bring up information from imdb (not sure how its implemented).

Once tivo gets multiple tuners, i might jump and get another one to replace sage just for simplicity sake, unless sage comes out with a better, cheaper standalone..

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
The true value in a Tivo is the software and guide data. The hardware is the same as any other DVR. Things like being able to set a season pass so that you never miss a show. Having the best guide in the business that knows when programs start early/end late. Allowing the user to tweak settings so that a show is recorded properly. Recognizing when shows overlap and intelligently recording them. There is also an official mechanism to offload the shows to a computer for pressing to DVD.

IMO, the best part of a Tivo is how it learns your preferences. Once you provide a few opinions on what you like/dislike, it will search out and record shows for you. The Tivo becomes an extension of yourself.

I know of no other DVR or PC solution that is able to do all this. The fact that it is easy enough for a technology novice to use is icing on the cake.

And your PC guide data is nowhere near as comprehensive or accurate as the Tivo guide. The full show data is almost as extensive as IMDB.

nazz 12-18-05 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete

This is exactly what I was thinking so I'll just add my :up: for Tivo.

Easy 12-18-05 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MrJeff
I moved and now use sage and tivo and would love to figure out how to get sage in a nice standalone unit like tivo later on.

I personally find it much more flexible and user friendly than tivo if you have time to play around with some of the plug ins and stvs (basically themes). I prefer its guide over tivos, and with some stv you can even bring up information from imdb (not sure how its implemented).

Everything you say is true... and Sage will handle multiple drives/tuners and HD tuners. Plus my favorite perk, no monthly fee. :D
On the downside, you really have to be fairly proficent with computers and willing to research/tinker to get the most from Sage.

MrJeff 12-18-05 12:34 PM

I went and visited the sage site after reading this thread.

I highly recommend you visit and try out there demo. They now sell media extenders which basically are like the windows MC extenders, so you can watch your tv easily away from your computer.

I recommend the sageMC stv at the moment. You can find it on there forums.

Originally Posted by chanster

Tazwolff 12-18-05 03:05 PM

Tivo is poopoo IMO. Monthly fees, possible industry limitations (brodcast flags, self destructing shows, limited viewing times).

I have one box that uses MythTV with 2TB of storage allowing me to archive all of my shows in the format of my choosing and for the amount of time of my choosing.

I also just hooked up an EyeTV from Elgato on my dual G5 Power Mac... WOW! Much more powerful and user friendly. Wide range of choice on formats and exporting. Very simple interface for cutting out all commercials and any other unwanted content. Tivo falls far far behind on the power we have have with our computers.