DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The best Lost theory I have ever read.....period. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447943-best-lost-theory-i-have-ever-read-period.html)

animalmystic 12-07-05 12:47 AM

The best Lost theory I have ever read.....period.

Ok maybe this is old news, but this is one of the best theories I have ever read....

http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3377

sjrab16 12-07-05 12:51 AM

damn, someone had way too much times on their hands. Maybe the writers will simply just still this idea. JJ usually runs out of steam anyways...doesn't he?

Joe Molotov 12-07-05 12:58 AM

This reminds me of some Matrix theories I read before before Revolutions came out. You can probably guess how that turned out.

Bronkster 12-07-05 01:42 AM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/Magneto.jpg
Mwahaha!

dvd182 12-07-05 01:45 AM

I had seen this earlier; it's a pretty cool theory. However, I think it will go over the heads of a lot of the audience. I'm not sure its a theory I'd particularly enjoy seeing slowly revealed over the seasons either.

Seantn 12-07-05 02:45 AM

I think it's a great explanation. I'd love it if they used it. I don't see how else any of the stuff on the show could be brought together in an explanation.

story 12-07-05 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dvd182
I had seen this earlier; it's a pretty cool theory. However, I think it will go over the heads of a lot of the audience. I'm not sure its a theory I'd particularly enjoy seeing slowly revealed over the seasons either.

All it needs is a simple explanatory scene. The one popular mainstream film I know of that could have seriously run the risk of alienating its audience through a gigantic leap in scientific theory was Back to the Future, Part II. Still, when Doc sits Marty down and explains the alternative timeline creation with the help of his chalkboard-drawn analogy map, I don't know of a single person that wasn't with him and buying it. If Lost presents it simply, people will go for it.

Groucho 12-07-05 09:50 AM

Long read. Can somebody sum it up in one or two sentences?

maxfisher 12-07-05 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Long read. Can somebody sum it up in one or two sentences?

The human race is nearly extinct and the show's survivors are people who were cryogenically frozen, then thawed, by some collective intelligence placed on the island to ensure the future of humanity.

I think the first episode of the show pretty much shoots down this theory. Why would a system designed to help people survive choose to awaken them in a situation where several of them instantly die?

Michael Corvin 12-07-05 10:03 AM

There are some solid theories at work, BUT he states the wrecked plane was just put there along with the survivors as the future of mankind. Sounds plausible enough, but they SHOWED the tail section crash. They SHOWED the plane tear apart in mid-flight.

Good catch on the octagonal rooms. Of course you wouldn't catch that unless you watch season 1 after seeing the Dharma logo in season 2.

Groucho 12-07-05 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The human race is nearly extinct and the show's survivors are people who were cryogenically frozen, then thawed, by some collective intelligence placed on the island to ensure the future of humanity.

Okay, that one gets a ROTFL from me. Next!

raven56706 12-07-05 10:13 AM

i just think one of them is high and on shrooms and is just visioning all this in his high

FatTony 12-07-05 11:05 AM

i thought it was a pretty sweet theory. better than most of the ones i've read.

Maxflier 12-07-05 11:45 AM

How does "Alfvén plus Hans O. equal Alvar Hanso"?

And if they are put there to repopulate the Earth, then why are there things there trying to kill them?

HE Pennypacker 12-07-05 12:06 PM

Let me say it before someone else does:

That theory has more plot holes than an M. Night Shyamalan film.

Hubcap 12-07-05 12:21 PM

Not sure if I totaly buy it, but its a good read none the less.

mmconhea 12-07-05 12:43 PM

Dumb. There are no clues stating that these are not survivors of a plane crash... They have memories of the crash (most do)... and no memories of the Earth with the poles screwed up.
Also It's foolish to thik Scientist even have remotely the power to set up a project like that. We can't even agree on global warming plans. You would have to propell the time hundreds of years into the future to mess with memories and shit like that... and if that occured... these people wouldn't be sitting there with present time memories/speech and technology.

Also theorizing that magnetic energy easily alter chemical processing (in the brain) is so to a degree of detail shown in the events and details demonstrated in the show is asinine to any with any understnading of science.

The theory doesn't explain the creatures, or how some people are one the island beofre others... or deaths... births, etc.

Here's a better theory.. The writers are making this shit up as they go along to provide more storylines and to keep internet geeks searching comic books for answers. One day when the they make a movie or close the series they'll come up with the best match blanket story and ending that will be so lame we will have aready lost interest. Welcome to X-files on an island.

Fok 12-07-05 12:58 PM

Yep definately X-files on an island. I don't think this theory is 100% correct, but I think they're on the right track.

Michael Corvin 12-07-05 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Here's a better theory.. The writers are making this shit up as they go along to provide more storylines and to keep internet geeks searching comic books for answers. One day when the they make a movie or close the series they'll come up with the best match blanket story and ending that will be so lame we will have aready lost interest. Welcome to X-files on an island.

:crap:

Goldberg74 12-07-05 02:46 PM

... and Bob Newhart rolls over and kisses his wife goodnight. ;)

aktick 12-07-05 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mmconhea

:violin:

Groucho 12-07-05 03:21 PM

I don't get a "making it up as they go along" vibe from this show (unlike, say, The X-Files or Twin Peaks). I think they've done a good job of maintaining internal plot logic.

But the theory in the OP is just absurd. Any evidence that contradicts the theory (and there's plenty) is just written off as "red herrings" planted by the scientists who put the people on the island. A good theory should encompass all the evidence and not have to account for the "leftovers" in such a sloppy way.

GuessWho 12-07-05 03:45 PM

All writers make stuff up as they go along.

They don't know if it'll be a 3 year show, a 5 year show, or a 10 year show... so OF COURSE they have to make stuff up, they don't know when it's time to wrap things up yet.

Let's say they did have a plan, for a 1-season complete story. Great. But it goes 5 years... doesn't that mean that 4 years' worth is made up on the spot?

I don't think they can be held to blame for this.

Breakfast with Girls 12-07-05 07:10 PM

Well, I don't know about all that collective intelligence nonsense, but I recently watched the pilot again and there were a couple of strange comments I noticed:

ROSE: That sound that it [the monster] made, I keep thinking that there was something really familiar about it.

And

KATE: (to Charlie) Can I ask you something?
CHARLIE: Me? I'd be thrilled. I've been waiting.
KATE: Have we ever met anywhere?
CHARLIE: (smiles) No. That would be unlikely.
KATE: Hmm.
CHARLIE: I look familiar, though, right?
KATE: Yeah.
CHARLIE: Can't quite place it?
KATE: No, I can't.
CHARLIE: Yeah. I think I know.
KATE: You do?
CHARLIE: You all, everybody / You all, everybody
(Kate looks back at him a little blankly.)

Charlie assumes that she must know him from the band, even though she's hardly a big fan. So there are two cases where people are saying things are familiar that shouldn't be. Both of those comments could be explained away, but they could also be used in support of some weird Dark City sort of twist at the end.

And the creators aren't making it up as they go along (at least, all of it)... for instance, in the pilot, Rose says that her husband is in the bathroom at the back of the plane, and he ended up being part of the tailies in the second season.

Peat 12-07-05 09:00 PM

for instance, in the pilot, Rose says that her husband is in the bathroom at the back of the plane, and he ended up being part of the tailies in the second season.
You know, of course, they can "make it up as they go along", by going in a direction that fits with things (minor or major) that have been said...