DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chappelle's Show to return... Kind of... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447693-chappelles-show-return-kind.html)

SPiRAL 02-01-06 08:23 PM

I saw The Matador yesterday, and one of the previews was for, " Dave Chappelle's Block Party ". It's a doc about him going around the country inviting people to his block party, for food, comedy and music performances. It looks good especially if you like, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Kanye, The Roots, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott......etc.

dsa_shea 02-01-06 09:23 PM

Will he go back? I sure wish he would but I don't think it will happen.

yohansen5b 02-01-06 11:43 PM

this will the be only time i will ever tivo oprah.

ShallowHal 02-02-06 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by yohansen5b

:eek:

I swear I was about to say the exact same thing when I saw he was going to be on Oprah.

Way to copy me in advance, bitch. :lol:

slop101 02-02-06 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by yohansen5b

Ditto.

ryuryu2949 02-02-06 01:57 PM

If Steadman shows up, Dave might be in trouble.

SuprVgeta 02-03-06 02:40 AM

Have Wayne Brady take over Chappelle's Show...

DVD Josh 02-03-06 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
Have Wayne Brady take over Chappelle's Show...

Just imagine the body count!

jkberden 02-03-06 09:00 AM

He's also appearing on Inside the Actor's Studio airing Sunday Feb. 12th.

raven56706 02-03-06 12:35 PM

Here is Chapelle's appearence in a nutshell provided by CNN.com:

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Dave Chappelle told Oprah Winfrey he was stressed out and not crazy or on drugs when he abruptly left his hit Comedy Central show last spring during production.

In his first television interview since ditching "Chappelle's Show" in May, the comedian said that after he signed a $50 million deal for the third and fourth seasons in August 2004, too many people were trying to control him and his show.

"I wasn't crazy but it is incredibly stressful," Chappelle, 32, said during his appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that aired Friday.

"I felt in a lot of instances I was deliberately being put through stress because when you're a guy who generates money, people have a vested interested in controlling you," Chappelle said.

Last May, with the premiere date looming for the third season, Chappelle stunned his fans and the entertainment industry by leaving the show in mid-production. He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio, about 75 miles northeast of Cincinnati. Chappelle has since resumed performing live standup.

The provocative comedian denied reports that his mysterious departure was caused by mental or drug problems. But he told Winfrey that other people were trying to get him to take psychotic medication when he decided to leave the show and country, without telling anyone except his brother before he left.

Chappelle stressed that the fame that grew as his show became increasingly popular wasn't the problem, but the environment he faced at Comedy Central.

"I would go to work on the show and I felt awful every day, that's not the way it was" he said. "I felt like some kind of prostitute or something. If I feel so bad, why keep on showing up to this place? I'm going to Africa. The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching."

The comedian did not rule out returning to film the rest of the third and fourth seasons of "Chappelle's Show" but only under certain circumstances. For example, Chappelle said he would like to donate a portion of the proceeds from DVD sales to the less fortunate.

The status of his show has hung in limbo since May. Comedy Central announced in December that four half-hour episodes of "Chappelle's Show" -- based on what Chappelle taped before leaving the production -- will premiere in weekly airings this spring. A full season would have been between 10 and 13 episodes.

DVD Josh 02-03-06 12:44 PM

I think there's no way the rift between himself and Viacom can be repaired. I also refuse to believe that alot of what Dave is saying and feeling is made-up.

It always seemed to me, after watching S1 and S2 that Dave was just running out of ideas. I've always thought that was the real problem - the well was just empty.

huzefa 02-03-06 03:09 PM

I'm just impressed he's truthful about it. If he really is running out of ideas, then kudos to him for saying so. Way better than watching a show that's past its prime.

redrum 02-03-06 05:15 PM

watched all of the interview, didn't say anything about running out of ideas, said he wants to finish the rest of season 3 if Comedy Central will re-work the contract, said any of the people that was on the show before is more than welcomed to come back to it, also said he wants a lot of the money to go to the "people", don't know exactly what he was tryin to say with that, guess like Katrina victims and stuff like that.

Bill Needle 02-03-06 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Chappelle
I felt in a lot of instances I was deliberately being put through stress because when you're a guy who generates money, people have a vested interested in controlling you.

Yeah, vested to the tune of $50 million.

Originally Posted by Dave Chappelle
I felt like some kind of prostitute or something.

Yeah, a $50 million prostitute.

kantonburg 02-03-06 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by redrum
watched all of the interview, didn't say anything about running out of ideas, said he wants to finish the rest of season 3 if Comedy Central will re-work the contract, said any of the people that was on the show before is more than welcomed to come back to it, also said he wants a lot of the money to go to the "people", don't know exactly what he was tryin to say with that, guess like Katrina victims and stuff like that.

He's crazy. I don't care what he says. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror. He even said that everyone around him told him he needed help and wasn't well. Hello. Admission is the first step. Either way. I do hope he comes back and finishes the two seasons.

yohansen5b 02-03-06 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
...He even said that everyone around him told him he needed help and wasn't well...

I got that impression too. I noticed he almost never looked at Oprah in the eyes; mainly he stared at his feet or the rug in front of him. It was an interesting interview to say the least (though I'm not so sure Oprah's interviewing techniques are all that fantastic).

movieking 02-03-06 06:51 PM

I would be shocked if he wasn't high during the show. He was having trouble speaking, and his eyes were glazed over. Not to mention, he is an admitted pot user. When she asked if he was on drugs, I think that he would not include pot as real drugs.

If he wasn't on drugs, I think that he has psychological problems. If he wasn't high, dude has problems. He didn't seem coherent, and really seemed like he was on the verge of insanity (to me anyway). He seems very paranoid that people were out to deliberately make his life difficult (he admitted this), took off to Africa without telling his wife, and says he wants to give money from DVD sales to "the people", but couldn't adequately explain what he meant by this.

After seeing this show, I was actually sad to see what he has become. I've seen him in various interviews before he left the show, and he was totally different than he was on Oprah.

slop101 02-03-06 07:50 PM

Yeah, he seemed really out-there. The show was also edited to hell, so who knows what kind of ramblings they cut out.