TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Finale 12/04/05

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season Finale 12/04/05

I'll spoiler since I don't think it has aired in the US yet

This was a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed most of the episode, but I found the ending to be really abrupt. I liked the scenes with Larry's "biological" family, where Larry started to live a a Catholic. I loved the montage of everyone telling Larry off over the last five seasons. I thought that this episode had the makings of a great series finale, with Larry dying and the montage (which reminded me of how all of the characters came back for the Seinfeld trial), but the ending really left me cold. I know that the ending was a reference to an earlier episode, but I didn't think that it fit that well.

I was also expecting Larry to question Cheryl as to why she wanted to know what was in his will literally seconds after he died, and why she wanted the $5K so much. To me, it made her seem like she was interested in him for his money. I was expecting to see a scene a couple of months in the future with a single Larry (like we saw with Lewis enjoying his new kidney). Although, it would explain why a hottie like Cheryl would stay with someone as high maintenance as Larry. Also, look for guest spots from Bea Arthur, Dustin Hoffman, and Sasha Baron Cohen.

Editted to remove spoilers

Last edited by movieking; 12-05-05 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-04-05, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPOILER....

OMG, i thought this would be it, but I cant believe it what a show!
I thought the series was over, because on the hbo site, in one section it said the FINAL episode of curb your enthusiasm, and not just teh season finale!

Just like with seinfeld, a great way to end the series!
Old 12-04-05, 09:33 PM

maybe i spoke to soon, but this has gotta be it im thinkIN!
Old 12-04-05, 09:41 PM

Oh my God! I have never laughed so hard while watching television. The scene with Larry and Dustin Hoffman had me literally rolling on the floor, with tears streaming down my face. What an excellent season finale!!!
Old 12-05-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I couldn't stop myself. Best last advice "You know, you put far too much mayo on your sandwiches.. You know, they already put it in when they make the tuna."

Oh man, what a great show.
Old 12-05-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I really thought this was a bad and unfunny episode. Sure it had a couple of funny moments about Jeff buying his car for 5,000 less then the blue book value, but I guess I am in the minority here, but I thought it just wasn't funny. The season overall I give a C+, half of the episodes were great, and the other half were bad, though it is still the best comedy on TV.
Old 12-05-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Loved it.

Larry's "last" words ever to his wife: "I know it was you who lost that Sopranos DVD cover. I have a...system..."-----flatline-----

And his Midwest transformation--just brilliant.

Not exactly sure how the P.I. messed it up, but oh well. Larry's "real father" (Mr. Cohen/Cone--also hilarious) looked almost exactly like him at the door: baggy khakis, same shoes, same glasses.

Season had some pretty lame moments, but I say it finished very strong, and the series did too if this was the swan song.
Old 12-05-05, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I couldn't stop myself. Best last advice "You know, you put far too much mayo on your sandwiches.. You know, they already put it in when they make the tuna."

Oh man, what a great show.

what a fantastic quote, sasha cohen, dustin hoffman, and bea arthur...just great!!
Old 12-05-05, 10:37 AM

Wow. I'm really surprised at the positive responses. I didn't think it was a very good episode and I thought it was possibly the weakest episode of Curb overall. I did laugh pretty hard at the banter between Larry and Dustin Hoffman, though. That was funny.
Old 12-05-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

If you can honestly watch the scene with Larry, Dustin and Sasha in Heaven and not laugh your ass off then you need to have a funny bone surgically implanted. Classic stuff.

Still, I agree that the show's ending seemed a bit abrupt.
Old 12-05-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it sucked. The episode didin't make very much sense, which fits in with the theme of this whole season not making very much sense. Neither my wife nor I laughed at all at the heaven bit, although we both were able to ID Ali G.

Basically, last season sucked, but at least it was a coherent story arch. This season was just a series of cringes, and too many of the cringes were because it was just too contrived. A fitting end to a bad season.

CYE has been my favorite TV comedy for several years now, but maybe it's time for it to go. I'm just glad Scrubs hasn't dropped off this far.
Old 12-05-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is this the last original HBO episode until Sopranos start in March?

For once I am thinking of dumping HBO for a few months since this is the first time there will not be any new shows on I am watching.
Old 12-05-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was pretty disappointed with this episode. I think a more fitting end would have been to just let him die. I actually don't even remember what happened once he woke up. Since when does an hour long episode end at 9:40?
Old 12-05-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wasn't feeling it for this finale, either. I did like the extreme close-up to Larry when he realizes he's a gentile.
Old 12-05-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, what was the deal with the nurses holding him down when he realizes he doesn't want to do the transplant? I seriously doubt that there's a point of no return for undergoing a voluntary operation when he's still conscious. The hospital is risking a hell of a lawsuit.
Old 12-05-05, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
So is this the last original HBO episode until Sopranos start in March?

For once I am thinking of dumping HBO for a few months since this is the first time there will not be any new shows on I am watching.
That's what I just did today. I'll save the $36 & start it up again in March. Easy to do w/DirecTV and no reason to keep it in the meantime.

P.S. Anyone have a photo of the TV Guide cover Larry kept referring to? I didn't know what he was talking about...

Last edited by uteotw; 12-05-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 02:32 PM

I can't say I was disappointed, but in hindsight, it wasn't that good of an episode. The two hightlights for me were when he asked Cheryl if he could fool around until she got there (ROTFL) and noticing my main man Sascha Baron Cohen (although it didn't really stretch his comedic wings).
Old 12-05-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm usually one to only look at the good in a CYE episode, but there was a lot in this episode I didn't like. A lot of it seemed way too forced and I agree with the ending not being a good way to round out the season. Why not reference something from the season premiere?

But it did have some laugh out loud moments. The bits on the airplane (which I thought was going to lead to a crash), the gentile, the black nurse, and Larry with his guides in heaven.
Old 12-05-05, 04:33 PM

This is the cover, found it on an ebay auction.

Old 12-05-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wanted Larry to turn to his (new) parents when he found out about the real Blue Book and say "Jeff Jewed me."
Old 12-05-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I really wanted Larry to turn to his (new) parents when he found out about the real Blue Book and say "Jeff Jewed me."
Haha... I thought that was surely going to happen.

Overall, I'm relieved he came back. At least they can decide now on another season. Although this season wasn't the best, I still did enjoy it. It's like comfort food. Even if it's not the best, you still enjoy watching (eating) it. I won't be surprised if it doesn't come back, but at least there's the possibility.

I thought it was pretty funny that Larry comes back from the dead, and the first thing he does is check if his hair is still there!
Old 12-06-05, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by souvenir
This is the cover, found it on an ebay auction.

Thanks! He does look pretty, pretty, pretty dorky...
Old 12-06-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jerry looks like a bigger dork on the cover to me. He must have had those low flow shower heads...
Old 12-06-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Haha... or the haircut from "The Barber."

They all look very unnatural on that cover, with the possible exception of Jason Alexander. The photographer should be strung up.

Here's a bigger image:

Last edited by andicus; 12-06-05 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did I miss an episode?! Remember when they were filming at the baseball stadium and there was a guy there who committed a crime in real life...but he didn't because his alibi was that Larry David was filming Curb there and he was on tape!

Was that an episode from Last season? I almost thought it was in between seasons but now I am thinking I am wrong and it was the episode he took the stripper/whore? Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.