Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Food Network's Rachael Ray

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Food Network's Rachael Ray

Old 12-04-05, 01:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Network's Rachael Ray

Is this chick the most annoying thing you've ever seen or what?
Good Lord!!
I've never seen her before and all I can is .. wow.
We were at friends yesterday and they had her 60 min. Christmas special on
their DVR and so we started watching.
She doesn't shut up for a minute and what is up with all the hand movements? I don't get what the attraction is.
Old 12-04-05, 02:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,884
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Is this chick the most annoying thing you've ever seen or what?
Good Lord!!
I've never seen her before and all I can is .. wow.
We were at friends yesterday and they had her 60 min. Christmas special on
their DVR and so we started watching.
She doesn't shut up for a minute and what is up with all the hand movements? I don't get what the attraction is.
Did you just ask if someone hosting a show TALKS TOO MUCH?

Perhaps I can reccommend Sunrise Earth - but you might complain about owls hooting and crickets chirping.
Old 12-04-05, 02:38 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 467
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think she's hot.
Old 12-04-05, 02:43 PM
  #4  
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
...what is up with all the hand movements? I don't get what the attraction is.
She can move anything she likes!
Old 12-04-05, 02:50 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree that she is pretty damn annoying.

I ended up tivo-ing her "$40-a-day" show when she was here in Asheville - let me tell you, there is nothing quite as annoying as watching someone eat four meals, the whole time describing eveything she is eating ("... I wish you could taste this!", "look at all the beautiful layers of vegetables!"). Sure she is pretty, but that voice and script are sheer torture.

I can only imagine what 60 minutes of her Christmas special would be like. You have my condolences...
Old 12-04-05, 02:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Did you just ask if someone hosting a show TALKS TOO MUCH?

Perhaps I can reccommend Sunrise Earth - but you might complain about owls hooting and crickets chirping.
Let me rephrase.. she doesn't talk.. she rambles. She doesn't take a breath.
She's cute and all that.. but too hyper. YMMV of course.
Old 12-04-05, 04:48 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,965
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Let me rephrase.. she doesn't talk.. she rambles. She doesn't take a breath.
She's cute and all that.. but too hyper. YMMV of course.
Have you watched any of the other cooking shows on Food Network? Constant talking and descriptions of the foods' tastes and smells are par for the course.
Old 12-04-05, 04:51 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care what anybody says about Rachael Ray. I want to have sex with her. Hopefully numerous times in one night.

Old 12-04-05, 04:53 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,246
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I don't care what anybody says about Rachael Ray. I want to have sex with her. Hopefully numerous times in one night.

Daaamn right. And I dont care if she talks the whole time.
Old 12-04-05, 06:21 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,495
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Have you watched any of the other cooking shows on Food Network? Constant talking and descriptions of the foods' tastes and smells are par for the course.
No, can't say that I have.
but, if they ramble on and on with a whiney voice like hers, I would find them
equally as annoying.
She's adorable and all but if she would just tone it down a notch.
Old 12-04-05, 06:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Summerfest
Posts: 1,227
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think she is a cheerleader on speed. She's horribly annoying and a lousy tipper.

That new girl Gada or something, on the Thanksgiving special they were praising her
as Rachel sat and looked like somone just stole her thunder. It was awesome.

She's gotten worse and worse over the years, I can't believe someone married her.
Old 12-04-05, 06:45 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually like Rachael Ray. I do wish $40 a day were $20 a day though. For some cites, like New York or Boston, eating on $40 is a challenge. But when she goes most places it's a joke. I love it - "I spent 3 bucks on breakfast, 8 dollars on lunch - I only have 29 dollars left to buy dinner in Omaha!"
Old 12-04-05, 07:30 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sub-basement 3b
Posts: 3,425
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Have you watched any of the other cooking shows on Food Network? Constant talking and descriptions of the foods' tastes and smells are par for the course.
Mario Batali talks even more than Rachael Ray does, but at least he has something to say (but I rather look at her though...).
Old 12-04-05, 08:10 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,965
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it also should be mentioned that her shows, like most Food Network shows, are recorded live. Also, unlike other Food Network shows and chefs which are able to pull a switcheroo, e.g. "we'll just stick this in the oven, and here's how it'll look when it's finished," she has to cook all of her food from beginning to end within that 30 minutes. With those kind of pressures (absolute time limit, no do-overs), it's no surprise her dlivery may seem a little hyper and rambling.

Originally Posted by Trout
Mario Batali talks even more than Rachael Ray does, but at least he has something to say (but I rather look at her though...).
This is a decent criticism, since Batali is an actual professional chef and is undoubtedly much more knowledgeble about food. However, part of the appeal for some people is that Racheal isn't a pro, but just knows how to cook quick and easy.

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I actually like Rachael Ray. I do wish $40 a day were $20 a day though. For some cites, like New York or Boston, eating on $40 is a challenge. But when she goes most places it's a joke. I love it - "I spent 3 bucks on breakfast, 8 dollars on lunch - I only have 29 dollars left to buy dinner in Omaha!"
Maybe they could make the limit variable, depending on the location.
Old 12-04-05, 08:14 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that don't know her:
Old 12-04-05, 08:24 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
IDrinkMolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DE
Posts: 3,929
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes I think she's really hot, other times she doesn't look that great.

My wife always watches her, and I call her the "drunk lady" because it seems like every recipe has alcohol in it.
Old 12-04-05, 08:27 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,209
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I don't care what anybody says about Rachael Ray. I want to have sex with her. Hopefully numerous times in one night.


Same here. Then cook me breakfast.

I like her. Yeah, she's too cheerful, but she seems very nice and she's attractive.
Old 12-04-05, 09:17 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,724
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She's on my list.*







* Friends reference. My wife gets annoyed with the number of shows of her's that I watch.
Old 12-04-05, 09:31 PM
  #19  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
For those that don't know her:
She was just on Oprah, talking about how that photo shoot was heavily airbrushed.
Old 12-04-05, 09:35 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 6,457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
She was just on Oprah, talking about how that photo shoot was heavily airbrushed.
My thanks to the airbrush artist for his fine work.
Old 12-04-05, 09:39 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That photo has just given me hysterical blindness.
Old 12-04-05, 10:03 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,631
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ovid
I think she's hot.
I totally agree. She also seems like a down to Earth Chick who's prolly a lotta fun to hang with.
Old 12-04-05, 10:22 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah. Gotta admire those thick thighs..
Old 12-04-05, 10:35 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,724
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-05-05, 03:09 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,670
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
This is a decent criticism, since Batali is an actual professional chef and is undoubtedly much more knowledgeble about food. However, part of the appeal for some people is that Racheal isn't a pro, but just knows how to cook quick and easy.
I wouldn't call her a novice. Maybe not classically trained, but she's been around food an awful lot during her lifetime, as a buyer and a chef.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.