DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Why wasn't Scrubs on in the Fall? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447475-why-wasnt-scrubs-fall.html)

Kube 12-02-05 11:07 PM

Why wasn't Scrubs on in the Fall?

Does anyone know?

I thought the show recieved high ratings and was criticaly aclaimed.

Guess I was wrong.???

Jackskeleton 12-03-05 05:42 AM

Guess you just didn't bother reading the other threads about this subject. NBC has been mighty busy and jammed packed. With having dead weight to carry like Joey, they couldn't afford the show on the time slot. Tuesday was jammed packed with Earl and the Office. So where woudl they put it?

That and production on Zach's end with films kept him busy. It wasn't that they didn't like it, it's just that they didn't have enough room to squeeze it into the schedule.

Jimmy James 12-03-05 02:16 PM

Now that Jackskeleton has gone his route, I'll echo that it appears to be the case that NBC has just given up on it. They apparently had more faith that Joey would get them audience than Scrubs did, pathetic as that is on their part.

Michael Corvin 12-03-05 02:33 PM

There are numerous threads on the subject but it comes down to three things. One, the busy schedule & Zach's movie career. Two, Scrubs has never been a ratings phenom. It gets by enough to get cancelled, but it is not a hit show. Three it is produced by competing network ABC, so the more popular it gets the more their competitor makes, so it hasn't been in their best interest to make it a huge success.

RichC2 12-03-05 02:40 PM

My Name is Earl, Scrubs, The Office.

Not a damn thing wrong with that lineup. Make it happen NBC, make it happen.

Actually come to think of it, Scrubs, Scrubs, Earl, Office would be a better lineup. But whatever. Those crazy kids and their Tuesday Scrubs.

Matthew Chmiel 12-03-05 04:13 PM

And didn't production on this season not start until when the fall season already began?

Three it is produced by competing network ABC, so the more popular it gets the more their competitor makes, so it hasn't been in their best interest to make it a huge success.
It's not produced by ABC. It's produced by Touchstone, a division of Buena Vista which happens to own ABC as well.

Kube 12-13-05 09:59 PM

But doesn't the actor - Zack - have to work his schedule with NBC. It's not like he can say, "I'm gonna make a movie. I'll see you when I'm done."

Jimmy James 12-13-05 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's not produced by ABC. It's produced by Touchstone, a division of Buena Vista which happens to own ABC as well.

Does that make any significant difference you'd like to point out?

riley_dude 12-13-05 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kube
Does anyone know?

I thought the show recieved high ratings and was criticaly aclaimed.

Guess I was wrong.???

You been hiding under a rock?

Jackskeleton 12-14-05 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Does that make any significant difference you'd like to point out?

It makes a lot of difference. For that matter, competing networks/studios offer up their products to other networks all the time. They love to do it and the buying network enjoys taking them on to have a hit.

The OC and House or ones that pop to mind quickly. Both are heavily promoted by Fox even though they aren't produced by them. They make no money off the product after the intial run of it. They have no benefit in future dvd sales of the series and as much as they keep ordering them, they wont see a dime of it once the show hits the magic 100th episode syndication number.

It's actually a benefit for both parties. The buying network has something to boost their ratings and increase ad sales. The producing company has shows paid for and they make their profit off syndication.

Now in this case, It really isn't a case of NBC*Universal not wanting Buena Vista making money. They had their own schedule lined up so that it would be rather hard to fit it in. That and the Zach thing.

But doesn't the actor - Zack - have to work his schedule with NBC. It's not like he can say, "I'm gonna make a movie. I'll see you when I'm done."
The guy has directed episodes of SCRUBS and is the star of the show. At this point, he has some pull.

Brent L 12-16-05 11:18 PM

I hope they haven't gone too far over the edge into the truly weird and wacky on those 12 episodes that are already in the can waiting to be aired. I've been hearing about them trying a lot of different things. On Leno just now, Zach Braff said that they didn't think these episodes would even air, so they really just went crazy with everything.

I just hope it isn't too much, and the things that do sorta look to be very freaky, I hope they keep all of that in those quick cuts that they do (much like the Family Guy cuts that they do).

MartinBlank 12-17-05 01:27 AM

I think the new season is suppose to start up the beginning of January...1hr season premier.

wm lopez 12-17-05 10:01 PM

If you want the show back on the public better not go to any movies starring Zach.
If his movies bomb he'll be begging to come back.

huzefa 12-18-05 09:33 AM

New season starts Jan. 3 with TWO BRAND NEW EPISODES!!! Also, every week after that has TWO episodes instead of 1 apparently. So double yay!

SonOfAStu 01-01-06 01:35 PM

Guess I'll just post a couple thoughts to this thread since it is the most recent scrubs thread...

I'm just now watching this show for the first time and have knocked out the first two seasons in the last few weeks. I could probably get through half of season three before Tuesday night (no work tomorrow yay!) but I'm not sure I want to dive into the new season without fully catching up. Any advice? I feel like this show has enough running themes that I would have plenty of season 3 and 4 episodes spoiled by starting season 5 now.

Whats up with no HD? Is it possible season 5 will be in HD? I can't believe a show of this quality is only available in standard definition.

SexualPudding 01-02-06 01:40 AM

It would be nice to have it in HD, but is isn't necessarily a show that is crying out to be in HD or really needs it, imo.

SonOfAStu 01-06-06 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
It would be nice to have it in HD, but is isn't necessarily a show that is crying out to be in HD or really needs it, imo.

:hscratch:

Um, have you seen the chicks on this show? That is as "crying out to be in HD" as any other show that already is.

I'm not sure what criteria you use for "needing" to be in HD, but won't ALL shows eventually "need" to be in HD to be broadcast? I can't see any reason why this one hasn't been produced that way yet.

Also, I remember reading in the diary of the guy who won a walk on appearance that the show WAS filmed in HD and SD. Now, it's likely he just didn't know what he was talking about, but there was a widescreen moniter on the set.

rfduncan 01-06-06 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Um, have you seen the chicks on this show? That is as "crying out to be in HD" as any other show that already is.

Yeah, THAT'S the reason this show is "crying out to be in HD". :rolleyes:

I think the filming technique they use (a lot of single camera work in a genuine structure) might make it more difficult to do. In any case, with the show teetering on the edge in the ratings and this season fulfilling their 2 season contract with NBC, I don't see Buena Vista shelling out money to switch a smooth, experienced production crew to using HD so you can see hot chicks.

zekeburger1979 01-07-06 12:42 PM

I put this in this thread since it doesn't deal with a specific episode.

I just saw Sarah on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on Friday January 6th. She looked absolutely stunning in a simple black dress. She brought the German and entertained Conan with it. Mainly, they talked about her being able to speak English, German, and French. Not much was said about Scrubs except how great a show it is, yada yada yada.