DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Arrested Development (Mostly Likely) Will Return (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447381-arrested-development-mostly-likely-will-return.html)

Red Dog 12-02-05 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Who even counts the WB/UPN shows?

I won't argue that it's not like going up against Wednesday juggernauts or Thursday's, but if you honestly think that Arrested Development is a good lead in show to anything, you are sorely mistaken.

Well I think 7th Heaven was beating it, so..... :lol:

I never said AD served as a good lead-in. Don't know where you got that? :hscratch: It is obvious that it isn't - look at the ratings. The point is that with a good lead-in, it failed to draw viewers, and when moved to a slot with even less competition, it failed. FOX did everything it could, short of putting it behind AI, to keep it alive.

Deftones 12-02-05 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Well I think 7th Heaven was beating it, so..... :lol:

I never said AD served as a good lead-in. Don't know where you got that? :hscratch: It is obvious that it isn't - look at the ratings. The point is that with a good lead-in, it failed to draw viewers, and when moved to a slot with even less competition, it failed. FOX did everything it could, short of putting it behind AI, to keep it alive.

When they moved it to a spot w/ less competition, where was it in the schedule? A lead in. That's my point.

Morf 12-02-05 11:01 AM

FOX did everything it could, short of putting it behind AI, to keep it alive.

FOX could have went on air and threatened to kill a puppy if everyone didn't tune into the next Arrested Development. That would have worked. :up:

Y2K Falcon 12-02-05 11:02 AM

I agree, Red Dog.

Imho, the "never-land" slots of death are opposite a powerhouse, or something like Saturday night. If it needs to be flanked by AI and 24 to succeed on a monday, then it's hard to justify keeping it around. <a href = 'http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|98437|1|,00.html'>Getting beaten by Seventh Heaven</a> (about a 2.7 rating vs. S.H.'s 3.5) isn't going to cut it when you can almost double your ratings by repeating last week's Prison Break (well, the repeats are scoring in the 4s)...

Bronkster 12-02-05 11:13 AM

What's this? A glimmer of hope? Come on!! http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...kster/2695.gif

dick_grayson 12-02-05 11:20 AM

yeah, I won't hold my breath but any news is good news.

the dvd sales are certainly profitable, right? so maybe someone would pick the show up just based on that revenue even if people aren't still watching it. also, when neilson finally gets their shit together and decides to include dvr and tivo viewers in their ratings then maybe a show like this won't be scrapped for all the doodoo on every night.

DRG 12-02-05 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I never said it did. But if you look at ABC's schedule (the one rumored network), they have comedies that do well in the ratings. Pairing the show with one of those instead of how Fox just dangled the show out in never-never land as they did this last year, would certainly help the show.

I'm all for ABC or whoever airing this show, but I'm not sure I agree with this statement 100%. Right now ABC has comedies sure, and while some of them are doing okay, none are really getting gangbuster ratings (basically they all average about the same rating as The Simpsons does). On top of this, they are all the polar opposite of AD in terms of style and audience. I can't imagine AD aligning nicely with According to Jim or Freddie, for instance. ABC is going ot have to come up with a new comedy along the lines of My Name is Earl or Scrubs to match up better.

Cusm 12-02-05 12:16 PM

I could see ABC putting this on Thursday nights with the John Stamos show, while not exactly the same it is closer than anything else ABC has. Maybe this is why ABC is interested, they have no smart comedies and they could probably use something to combat Scrubs, Office and Earl.

Y2K Falcon 12-02-05 12:33 PM

I could see ABC adding a laugh track... -ohbfrank-

I actually tried to watch Freddy since I heard good word about the <s>acting</s> hot chick on the show, but man is a laugh track distracting. I laugh way more during Gilmore Girls and House than a "comedy" with a laugh track...

JasonF 12-02-05 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
yeah, I won't hold my breath but any news is good news.

the dvd sales are certainly profitable, right? so maybe someone would pick the show up just based on that revenue even if people aren't still watching it. also, when neilson finally gets their shit together and decides to include dvr and tivo viewers in their ratings then maybe a show like this won't be scrapped for all the doodoo on every night.

ABC won't get a cut of the DVD revenue. DVD revenues go to the show's producers -- in this case, Fox and Imagine Entertainment. That's one reason I'm not uncrossing my fingers just yet. If this show wasn't profitable for Fox, it's going to be that much harder for ABC to make it profitable.

dick_grayson 12-02-05 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
ABC won't get a cut of the DVD revenue. DVD revenues go to the show's producers -- in this case, Fox and Imagine Entertainment. That's one reason I'm not uncrossing my fingers just yet. If this show wasn't profitable for Fox, it's going to be that much harder for ABC to make it profitable.

:sad: that's too bad. the dvd sales must have been great lately and I was hoping that would be it's biggest selling point. Fox did give it a pretty fair shake. Most people aren't smart enough to appreciate a show like this. Oh well.....

LasVegasMichael 12-02-05 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
As long as it doesn't go to HBO (since I don't have it).

I don't have it either, but if AD moved there I would subscribe faster then you could say "I've made a huge mistake."

Chew 12-02-05 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by LasVegasMichael
I don't have it either, but if AD moved there I would subscribe faster then you could say "I've made a huge mistake."

Same here. HD and no commercials? I'm there.

Aphex Twin 12-02-05 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
If original... 5/5 :lol:

I hope they can get a guest spot from Keifer Shuterland. :up:

I don't think he'll have time to do 2 TV shows, while doing all those films.

nny 12-02-05 01:42 PM

I can't imagine ABC picking this up. As much as people bitch about Fox cancelling good shows, ABC is the absolute worst to great tv shows. Of course, the biggest reason for that is that unlike NBC and CBS, ABC and Fox actually greenlight really good shows in the first place.

Also, the more successful a network is, the less likely they are to take chances and ABC is doing quite well right now.

Deftones 12-02-05 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I don't think he'll have time to do 2 TV shows, while doing all those films.

I wish we had a smiley where the guy runs his hand over his head as to intimate that the guy totally didn't get the point of the post. :lol:

Jericho 12-02-05 02:28 PM

They should trade AD for My Name is Earl. :)

It's always weird seeing that Fox logo after Earl

story 12-02-05 03:47 PM

I'll believe it when I see. Other networks picking up cancelled shows is extremely rare.

But it's not unknown to happen. Grounded For Life. Family Matters.

I'd like to see it on NBC, which is currently the reigning single-camera comedy king of the networks. How's this for a line-up to prove my claim:

Scrubs
Arrested Development
The Office
My Name Is Earl

You know I'm right.

pinata242 12-02-05 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Scrubs
Arrested Development
The Office
My Name Is Earl

You know I'm right.

Since Office and Earl are doing well for NBC now, I'd rather them bookend this fantasy 2-hour block to help the "weaker" shows against the hour-long powerhouses.

My Name Is Earl
Arrested Development
Scrubs
The Office

DerangedHermit 12-02-05 03:56 PM

I'd like to see it on NBC, which is currently the reigning single-camera comedy king of the networks. How's this for a line-up to prove my claim:

Scrubs
Arrested Development
The Office
My Name Is Earl

You know I'm right.

That's where I heard it was moving. They'll retool Thursdays by moving or getting rid of Joey, and having Scrubs/Office/My Name is Earl and some new show, Four Kings. Then AD can go there for the fall, and bam NBC comedy ORGY

Jimmy James 12-02-05 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
That's where I heard it was moving. They'll retool Thursdays by moving or getting rid of Joey, and having Scrubs/Office/My Name is Earl and some new show, Four Kings. Then AD can go there for the fall, and bam NBC comedy ORGY

The problem is that NBC is already propping up Scrubs and The Office. They can't afford another loved but unwatched comedy. ABC probably can afford to prop one up for the prestige even if it does lose them a little money. That's why I think ABC is in play but NBC couldn't possibly be.

Rogue588 12-02-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Since Office and Earl are doing well for NBC now, I'd rather them bookend this fantasy 2-hour block to help the "weaker" shows against the hour-long powerhouses.

My Name Is Earl
Arrested Development
Scrubs
The Office

:up:

Matthew Chmiel 12-02-05 05:41 PM

JAG. Step By Step. The Outer Limits. Stargate SG-1. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

;)

Red Dog 12-02-05 06:04 PM

Which is why I said "extremely rare."

Michael Corvin 12-02-05 06:20 PM

If there is this much interest already they have time to wrap up plotlines and do a sort of reboot for the new network to allow them to gain new viewership. I'm sure the fans can handle that if the show survives.

I still say the Simpsons arguement is bullshit. It is a friggin cartoon. Who cares what ratings it draws. It isn't a good pairing. And what was with them sandwhiching it between two cartoons last year. That was a solid executive decision.

Good news though.

Lateralus 12-02-05 07:01 PM

Kick ass internview with Alia Shawkat: http://www.brianmpalmer.com/aliashawkat.htm

Here is a little snippit:

Do you hold FOX accountable for what's going on?

I do, definitely. In my opinion FOX is known for being a network that just advertises, and that's pretty much how they get their viewers. Like with "The OC" and shows like that, there's billboards every 5 feet you go in LA. And with our show, the actual excuse for not publicizing us was, "We don't think it's going to help that kind of show." I don't see how getting the name out there is going to hurt our show with the ratings. A lot of people don't know about it, and if they do, they only see 1 episode, so they get confused. FOX needs to be showing marathons and re-runs so that people who haven't seen it can watch the whole first season and the second season. But they refuse. They think that we just have to do it on our own, and supposedly get 20 million people in one viewing, and no one's even heard of the show. So I don't really think that FOX is the best network for the show

Michael Corvin 12-02-05 09:02 PM

Burning bridges at quite an early age, don't ya say?

Matthew Chmiel 12-02-05 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Burning bridges at quite an early age, don't ya say?

I'm sure everyone who has been fucked over by Fox sooner or later burns their bridges over there.

Big Boy Laroux 12-02-05 10:17 PM

right, we can blame fox for the lack of advertising (was it mentioned even once during the baseball playoffs?), but not for keeping a show on the air long past what it's ratings deemed appropriate.

so we can and can't blame fox. :)

Jimmy James 12-02-05 10:19 PM

Given the success of My Name Is Earl this year after that ad blitz, I think the kid has a point. By the same token, Fox wasn't in the place NBC now is -- they didn't have reason to pull out the stops that way for AD or any other show.

dcswirl 12-03-05 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Kick ass internview with Alia Shawkat: http://www.brianmpalmer.com/aliashawkat.htm

Here is a little snippit:

Do you hold FOX accountable for what's going on?

I do, definitely. In my opinion FOX is known for being a network that just advertises, and that's pretty much how they get their viewers. Like with "The OC" and shows like that, there's billboards every 5 feet you go in LA. And with our show, the actual excuse for not publicizing us was, "We don't think it's going to help that kind of show." I don't see how getting the name out there is going to hurt our show with the ratings. A lot of people don't know about it, and if they do, they only see 1 episode, so they get confused. FOX needs to be showing marathons and re-runs so that people who haven't seen it can watch the whole first season and the second season. But they refuse. They think that we just have to do it on our own, and supposedly get 20 million people in one viewing, and no one's even heard of the show. So I don't really think that FOX is the best network for the show

I hope all the jagoffs on this board who say Fox has done everything they can for this show click that link and read the whole interview. Even behind the scenes it seems they don't want the show to succeed.

Jimmy James 12-03-05 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by dcswirl
I hope all the jagoffs on this board who say Fox has done everything they can for this show click that link and read the whole interview. Even behind the scenes it seems they don't want the show to succeed.

Right, but they renewed it x2.

Jeez -- this bellyaching really ticks me off as a fan of Newsradio, a show that was treated poorly and overcame until we lost Phil.

JTH182 12-03-05 02:37 AM

Scrubs
Arrested Development
The Office
My Name Is Earl

I would need a change of underpants if that happened

ChrisKnudsen 12-03-05 02:56 AM

Yeah, if they started showing that lineup on NBC, I think I would actually sit through Scrubs. I guess I should be watching.

Matthew Chmiel 12-03-05 03:15 AM

I think any show Fox gets that may be considered good, the executives at the network just decide it doesn't deserve to be on the air. When Judd Apatow was on the press tour for The 40 Year Old Virgin, the major questions getting asked to him involved how he felt about the cancellation of Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. Now while Apatow had been previously involved with prior Fox shows that were cancelled (The Ben Stiller Show and The Critic -- another show picked up from another network), they promised the guy after NBC's axing of Freaks and Geeks that they would treat Undeclared with respect and they would let him do his own thing.

As the story goes, FOX was always down Apatow's back to make the show more "viewer friendly" and FOX cancelled it after episode 18 (the same episode order that Freaks and Geeks got the axe after). And after Judd would tell the story on the show's cancellation, he would follow it up with, "That's why I'm never going to work in television again."

Similar story could also be applied to Joss Whedon. Fox gave Firefly the shaft since day one and it seems that Whedon isn't going back to television anytime soon. Didn't help that Angel was cancelled the year after either (Fox production that was on The WB)...

Jackskeleton 12-03-05 05:54 AM

I'm one of those Jagoffs and oddly enough I'm behind the scenes. Amazing how that works. Some will say that they could have done more. Besides putting a gun to the viewers faces and forcing them to watch, they did a lot.

Oh, what other show had a complete marathon of episodes on friday night leading up to the season premiere? If Fox didn't give a fuck about the show they would have canceled it in season one when ratings were complete shit but yet they let it live for two and a half seasons.

Even in the interview she goes on to say that the word from above was to make it simplier. Seems people want a laugh track, seems people don't want to have to see two or three episodes to get all the jokes. seems that this was a show that regardless how many awards it won, no one bothered to watch it that counted.

It's a shit situation, but you have to remember that this is a business and AD is taking up the biggest sound stage at the fox lot and if it's not producing profit at the end of the day, the investors would feel better about getting something in there that will hold its own.

It also doesn't help that AD doesn't have the same marketing and license potential that Family Guy has. I doubt you would see a lunch box at hot topic with GOB on the cover of it.

Hell, rerun episodes of Prison break were doing better than both AD and KC combined in that same time slot. You be a business man and make an educated choice on what you will do to make sure you are in the black and our ad space doesn't go down. They did everything for AD, even saved its ass by pulling it during sweeps before which saved its ass from instant death if they did fuck up sweeps.

Didn't help that Angel was cancelled the year after either (Fox production that was on The WB)...
Blame WB for that fuck up. Fox really could give a fuck about producing Angel or anything else that is first run syndication aslong as someone is paying for it. Goes along the same lines as reba. Aslong as it's on someone' else's bill they don't mind making it. They'll let someone eat the cost of first run and then just enjoy the hell out of optioning it out after the first run syndication is done with and they have the 100 episodes down the hatch. With Angel WB wanted to go with a failed pilot and didn't renew angel. Fox attempted to shop it around but after the low ratings Buffy got on UPN, they didn't want Angel and thus it was canceled. So it's really on WB's head that Angel got fucked over.

Jackskeleton 12-03-05 06:08 AM

I like the Cera interview a lot better

http://www.brianmpalmer.com/michaelcera.htm

Puzznic 12-03-05 08:00 AM

Even if Arrested doesn't come back you still got 2 and half seasons out of it. Thats more than you could of really hoped for given the way good shows are treated. Its not as much of an injustice as some of the fantastic shows that didn't even get a full season. The cancellations of Firefly and Freaks and Geeks hurt alot more than the cancellation of Angel even though like all 3 shows almost equally.

LorenzoL 12-03-05 08:11 AM

As much as I loved this show, I seriously doubt that it will be picked up by another network. We'll wait and see...

Drop 12-03-05 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
They did everything for AD

Sorry, but they did not. Everyone who goes with this arguement relies on the fact that FOX kept renewing AD. That's all they did. It's commedable, like Alia said, but that's all. It is not support, it is not trying to get the show out to more people. They did nothing in that regard. The rerun marathon you talked about was not very well advertised, and it did not play in every FOX market. If FOX was really commited they would play marathons every few months, and heavily advertise them.

Then people blame the show for not being easily accesible. Both Michael and Alia called BS on that. There is so much dirty humour and physical comedy, that any Joe Schmoe could get into it. Is it confusing at first? Of course. But is it also very funny? You bet. But people do get confused, and then FOX shifts it around or puts it on a long Hiatus. People forget about the show and those new viewers might as well never have happened.

Ultimately, Season 3 was the make it or break it, and FOX just shit all over the show. They can't even show the remainder of the episodes this year, and it isn't on any future schedules. We are lucky in having the one next week.