Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 12:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NBC Announces Midseason Changes

Full article here: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...=20051201nbc01

Thursday, December 1, 2005
NBC ADJUSTS MID-SEASON PROGRAM LINEUP WITH NEW SERIES LAUNCHES AND RETURN TO THURSDAY-NIGHT COMEDY BLOCK BEGINNING WEEK OF JANUARY 2
Released by NBC

NBC ADJUSTS MID-SEASON PROGRAM LINEUP WITH NEW SERIES LAUNCHES AND RETURN TO THURSDAY-NIGHT COMEDY BLOCK BEGINNING WEEK OF JANUARY 2

"My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" Move to Thursdays to Join New Two-hour Comedy Block That Includes New Comedy "Four Kings" and "Will & Grace" While Drama "The Book of Daniel" Joins Schedule as New Series

"Scrubs" Returns with Weekly Back-to-Back New Episodes on Tuesdays (9-10 p.m. ET), "The Biggest Loser" Comes Back with Series of Themed Specials Titled "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition" and "Most Outrageous TV Moments" Becomes Weekly Series

BURBANK - December 1, 2005 - NBC adjusts its mid-season program lineup beginning the week of January 2 as the hit freshman comedy "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" move to Thursdays to join a new two-hour comedy block that includes the new comedy "Four Kings" and "Will & Grace." In addition, the new limited drama series "The Book of Daniel" will premiere, "Scrubs" will return to Tuesdays and the "The Biggest Loser" will come back as a series of themed specials titled "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition."

Thursday nights will return to NBC's storied comedy roots starting on January 5 with an 8-10 p.m. (ET) block that includes "Will & Grace," "Four Kings," "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office."

"The Book of Daniel," which begins with back-to-back episodes on Friday, Jan. 6 (9-11 p.m. ET), will be featured as a limited series that will run until Friday, Feb. 3 - the week prior to the start of NBC's exclusive coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics on Friday, Feb. 10. "Most Outrageous TV Moments" will now become a series starting on Friday, Jan. 6 (8-9 p.m. ET).

NBC's "The Apprentice" and "Joey" will return following the Winter Olympics (additional details about NBC's post-Olympic program schedule will be revealed during the network's January Press Tour).

The announcements were made today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"These mid-season adjustments allow us to showcase the season's top-rated new comedy in 'Earl' as well as the increasingly popular 'The Office' on Thursdays along with the new 'Four Kings' while we also introduce a great new drama series in 'Book of Daniel' on Fridays" said Reilly. "In so doing, we have the pieces in place to fulfill one of our goals -- to bring back a block of quality comedy to Thursday nights."

"Four Kings" and "The Book of Daniel" were previously announced as mid-season series at NBC's May Upfront. "Four Kings" will premiere on Thursday, Jan. 5 (8:30-9 p.m. ET).

After "The Book of Daniel" debuts with its back-to-back episodes on Friday, Jan. 6 (9-11 p.m. ET), it returns the following week (January 13) in its regular time from 10-11 p.m. (ET). "Dateline NBC" will then return in its new Friday time (9-10 p.m. ET) on January 13. "Most Outrageous TV Moments" -- originally a series of NBC specials -- will begin its weekly run as a series on Friday, Jan. 6 (8-9 p.m. ET).

"Scrubs" returns to NBC's primetime lineup with back-to-back original episodes on Tuesdays (9-10 p.m. ET) following "Fear Factor" starting Tuesday, Jan. 3.

Fresh off its record-setting season finale on November 29, "The Biggest Loser" will now return as a series of self-contained and themed specials in "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition," beginning on Wednesday, Jan. 4 (9-10 p.m. ET). The series will then run for five more weeks prior to the start of NBC's exclusive coverage of the Winter Olympics on February 10.

No changes will be made on NBC's Monday, Saturday or Sunday nights.

NBC's new mid-season schedule, which begins January 2, follows (all times ET); new series are in upper case (except "ER"):

Mondays
8-9 p.m. "Surface"
9-10 p.m. "Las Vegas"
10-11 p.m. "Medium"

Tuesdays
8-9 p.m. "Fear Factor"
9-9:30 p.m. "Scrubs"
9:30-10 p.m. "Scrubs"
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

Wednesdays
8-9 p.m. "E-Ring"
9-10 p.m. "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition" (new title)
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order"

Thursdays
8-8:30 p.m. "Will & Grace"
8:30-9 p.m. "FOUR KINGS"
9-9:30 p.m. "My Name Is Earl"
9:30-10 p.m. "The Office"
10-11 p.m. "ER"

Fridays
8-9 p.m. "MOST OUTRAGEOUS TV MOMENTS"
9-10 p.m. "Dateline NBC"
10-11 p.m. "THE BOOK OF DANIEL"

Saturdays
Movies and variable programming

Sundays
7-8 p.m. "Dateline NBC"
8-9 p.m. "The West Wing"
9-10 p.m. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
10-11 p.m. "Crossing Jordan"
Old 12-01-05, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrubs is back! With 2 new eps each week! Sweet!

Last edited by Hoonster; 12-01-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 12:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting that Joey is pulled until after the Olympics, especially since they are doing back-to-back episodes of Scrubs on Thursdays. If Four Kings turns out to be a bomb I'm sure Joey or Scrubs will be plugged into Thursday. I'm also guessing Apprentice will get a new night (probably Tuesday?) when it returns.
Old 12-01-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OMG scrubs is finally back. Took long enough but now i cant wait.
Old 12-01-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like they are getting rid of Joey for a while.

Anyone have info on Book of Daniel and Three Kings?
Horay. Scrubs is back.

Edit: I found synopsis' for Both of the above. Book of Daniel seems to be another Joan of Arcardia Clone.

Last edited by riley_dude; 12-01-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 12:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

riley dude, from the full article:

The comedy "Four Kings" - from Emmy Award winners David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, creators of NBC's Emmy-winning comedy "Will & Grace" - is an exploration of four lifelong friends on the cusp of adulthood.

Barry (Seth Green "Austin Powers" franchise, "Italian Job"), Bobby (Shane McRae, "One Life to Live"), Ben (Josh Cooke, NBC's "Committed") and Jason (Todd Grinnell, "The Dangling Conversation") couldn't imagine life without one another. Since childhood, these bosom buddies haven't spent so much as a birthday apart, but when Ben's grandmother, who dubbed them the "Four Kings of New York," passes away, Ben (and essentially his close friends) inherits her apartment. But despite the comfort of their posh new surroundings and efforts to cling to their youth, adulthood begins drawing these Four Kings knee-deep into situations that aren't always easy to escape in this honest exploration of life-term friendship. KoMut Entertainment produces "Four Kings" in association with Warner Bros. Television. Kohan and Mutchnick are the creators and executive producers.

"The Book of Daniel" is a provocative, edgy and compelling new drama starring Emmy nominee Aidan Quinn ("An Early Frost") as Reverend Daniel Webster, an unconventional Episcopalian minister who not only believes in Jesus - he actually sees him and discusses life with him. Webster is challenged on many levels as he struggles to be a good husband, father and minister, while trying to control a nagging addiction to prescription painkillers, and an often rocky relationship with the church hierarchy, led by Bishop Beatrice Congreve (Oscar winner Ellen Burstyn, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"), and Roger Paxton, a senior warden of the parish and stalwart churchgoer (Dylan Baker, "Kinsey").

The reverend also has loving, but challenging relationships with his three children: Peter (Christian Campbell, "Trick"), his 23-year-old gay son; Grace (Alison Pill, "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen"), his 16-year-old daughter who doesn't try to push her father's buttons but succeeds at it nonetheless; and Adam (Ivan Shaw, "All My Children"), his 16-year-old adopted Chinese son, a handsome and cocky high school jock. Keeping Webster grounded is his strong and loving wife Judith (Susanna Thompson, "Now and Again") -- who is fighting her own fondness for mid-day martinis -- as well as Jesus (Garret Dillahunt, "Deadwood"), whose frequent chats with Daniel remind him of his strengths and weaknesses.

Creator Jack Kenny ("Titus") and Flody Suarez ("8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter," "The Tick") are the executive producers of this production from NBC Universal Television Studio and Sony Pictures Television.
Old 12-01-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Office on Thursdays.
Old 12-01-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Two new episodes of Scrubs every week? Nice.

The Apprentice doesn't have a new season... interesting.

...when Ben's grandmother, who dubbed them the "Four Kings of New York," passes away, Ben (and essentially his close friends) inherits her apartment.
Hey, a sitcom that gives an explanation as to how people in their early 20s can afford a 1500 sq. ft. Manhattan apartment.

Last edited by TracerBullet; 12-01-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, moving Earl & The Office helps my Tuesday night at 9 logjam.

(I know, I don't watch Scrubs.)
Old 12-01-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Cool, moving Earl & The Office helps my Tuesday night at 9 logjam.
Yeah, though that logjam for me was The Office, House, and The Amazing Race, and now The Amazing Race won't be on for a few months anyways (I assume).
Old 12-01-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
The Apprentice doesn't have a new season... interesting.
I think they usually take a few months off between seasons of The Apprentice, and I'm pretty sure they are doing at least one more season (they were casting in Chicago not long ago, IIRC). I assume it'll be back for the summer.

Hey, a sitcom that gives an explanation as to how people in their early 20s can afford a 1500 sq. ft. Manhattan apartment.
Well, Friends sort of did that if that counts.
Old 12-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Achtung
Yeah, though that logjam for me was The Office, House, and The Amazing Race, and now The Amazing Race won't be on for a few months anyways (I assume).
I was wondering about TAR. Is there a new one midseason?

I also had TAR, House, Commander in Chief and Supernatural in that timeslot, but I usually grab the Sunday repeat of Supernatural.
Old 12-01-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was asking the same question in the TAR weekly thread. It seems odd that we haven't heard about the teams yet if there is going to be a midseason edition.
Old 12-01-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

There will be a new one for the winter/spring.
Old 12-01-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2 eps of Scrubs a week? After having none for so long?

That's like walking directly from a barren desert into a buffet-style restaurant!

And Joey gets evicted from his high-pro slot for the likes of Earl? That's just icing on the cake.
Old 12-01-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I think they usually take a few months off between seasons of The Apprentice, and I'm pretty sure they are doing at least one more season (they were casting in Chicago not long ago, IIRC). I assume it'll be back for the summer.
The next season has already been in production, and may in fact already be completed (excluding the finale of course).
Old 12-01-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
There will be a new one for the winter/spring.
Not to get too off-topic here, but will it be a return to the usual format, if you've heard anything?
Old 12-01-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Not to get too off-topic here, but will it be a return to the usual format, if you've heard anything?

Yes. Thank goodness. I stopped watching the current one 3 eps in.
Old 12-01-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yes. Thank goodness. I stopped watching the current one 3 eps in.
Old 12-01-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'm assuming this is in reference to Friends - Monica's apartment was a rent-controlled place her grandmother (I think) owned before she died. It was explained in an early episode, I believe.
Old 12-01-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

An hour of Scrubs. That's fucking awesome.
Old 12-01-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal-El
An hour of Scrubs. That's fucking awesome.
I'm in shock.
Old 12-01-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm assuming this is in reference to Friends - Monica's apartment was a rent-controlled place her grandmother (I think) owned before she died. It was explained in an early episode, I believe.

That still doesn't explain Joey/Chandler.

Or Ross - no way he could afford that apartment he had on his own.
Old 12-01-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm rewatching Season 10 of Friends and they mention Monica's apartment is still in "Nana's name" if Ross wanted to move in.

A tenured professor like Ross couldn't afford that small apartment?

I'd be living in a closet.
Old 12-01-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking at that schedule, I just realized that the only NBC shows I watch regularly are Earl and Joey. At least Earl will be away from House on Tuesdays.

I might check out Kings, but Seth Green is on "the cusp of adulthood"? Isn't he in his 30s? That ain't the cusp.

Think I'll skip Daniel. Although Dillahunt is a good choice for Jesus, the above synopsis shows every cliche in the book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.