DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   That 70's Show 11/30/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447218-70s-show-11-30-05-a.html)

calhoun07 11-30-05 08:48 PM

That 70's Show 11/30/05

"Stone Cold Crazy" Episode #803.
Jackie moves into Fez's apartment after Kelso goes to Chicago; Sam helps Donna take sexy pictures of herself to send to Eric in Africa.

Cast: Mila Kunis, Danny Masterson, Laura Prepon, Wilmer Valderrama, Josh Meyers , Kurtwood Smith, Debra Jo Rupp, Don Stark, Tommy Chong , Josh Meyers , Tommy Chong , Jud Tylor, Ron Pearson, Jackie Debatin, Yvette Nicole Brown.

And Allison Munn returns as Fez's psycho girlfriend, Caroline.

This episode was so bad, it made me want to break down and cry. The season wasn't off to a strong start, but it was off to a respectable start and actually gave me hope that there was actually a reason this show was going on beyond the Topher Grace days. But now with Ashton Kutcher off the series, it's clear the creators are reeling on what to do with the reamaining cast. Hell, they even brought back a character from four years ago FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!! Isn't Allison Munn gainfully employed with What I Like About You and not to mention she was in Elizabethtown. As if she needs to come back for this role, for which her lines sound like jokes written at the last minute.

The characters have become parodies of themselves. No longer do I feel they are doing what they do because of their character traits, but because the writers just can't come up with anything better. Fez is just a waste in this series, and I really felt Debra Jo Rupp was totally wasted in this episode.

The entire response to Donna's pictures was horribly played on all levels as well. What was once a great, original sitcom had fallen back on sitcom cliches that died in the 70s. Donna's pictures wind up in a newspaper that Hyde takes to work and just as everybody is standing around, they decide to look at the paper so they all fall out so everybody sees them, then the stoner man puts them in a record that he sells to FEZ???? I felt some of my brain cells die with this episode.

And the whole Fez and Jackie gag...what the hell was that theme song? It was hardly catchy, and did not remind me of anything. I guess they were going for some kind of Laverne and Shirley/Three's Company gag, but with that song, it just fell so short, and the entire episode just stopped when they were doing that montage.

B.A. 11-30-05 09:07 PM

I have always wondered where I have seen Allison Munn before when I see her on What I Like About You - and now I know. Doh!

I still think it's weird seeing SNL's Seth Meyers' brother on this show.

Groucho 11-30-05 11:05 PM

This wasn't too bad. I liked Fez's imagined view of life living with Jackie. :lol:

mike7162 11-30-05 11:09 PM

Is Topher Grace gone for good? This show sucks balls now.

fiver 12-01-05 12:51 AM

I was catching up on the last 2 episodes of that '70s show tonight and, probably for the first time, felt they were just plain bad tv..I am currently buying this show on dvd and will probably only go through season 6 as last season felt like a distinct step downwards to me and this season has just been pretty aweful comparatively. I'll probably keep watching since I have nothing else to replace it with this season but it's not a show I feel like watching each week but, rather, save up for a few weeks before watching.

I really disliked the sitcom montage between jackie and fez...I really could see no logical reason why jackie would ever move in with fez beyond the need of the show writers for a few bad gags.

I love this show for the laughs I've gotten over the years but I wish they would have not gone on after topher grace left.

Michael

DGibFen 12-01-05 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162
Is Topher Grace gone for good? This show sucks balls now.

Yep. Last season, Eric decided to become a teacher, but Red spent his college money buying a muffler shop. The only way that Eric could afford to go to college was by entering a program in which he would teach in an impoverished area for a year - which turned out to be Africa. (In real life, Topher was tired of the show and wanted to move on. He's now playing a villian in Spider-Man 3.)

I imagine if all the cards play right, he may come back for the last couple of episodes to resolve any storylines involving he and Donna.

And this episode did stink. The only time I laughed was when Don Knotts said that line about "Why can't I ever walk in on anyone having sex?"

Red Dog 12-01-05 08:41 AM

The only good part was Furley.

DRG 12-01-05 08:44 AM

I hadn't watched this show since the beginning of last season, but decided to give it a try last night. It just lost so much since then, and it wasn't even at its peak when I stopped watching. Just from this one episode I got a "running in place" vibe.

Cusm 12-01-05 09:04 AM

I liked trying to get Leo to remember who he sold the LP to, and the cure.

Brain Stew 12-01-05 09:19 AM

Ever since they had no one go to college or really get jobs, I've thought that this show has been stuck in its paces. That 70's Show has always been a borderline comedy IMO. It's always been "edgy" enough that it wasn't like the other sitcoms on, but it has also been very cliched at the same time.

I'll continue to watch this season (presumably the last), but the shows are increasingly starting to use gimmicks as a crutch (like the Drew Carey Show). I think the problem is that the only people left on the show are people that want to be on That 70's Show for the rest of their lives; Wilmer Valderama especially.

Groucho 12-01-05 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I think the problem is that the only people left on the show are people that want to be on That 70's Show for the rest of their lives; Wilmer Valderama especially.

That's just it. It's a bit like "AfterMASH" at this point.

The problem was that last season was supposed to be the last one. So now it's just limping along on automatic. Grace and Kushner were smart to catch the first lifeboats off this sinking ship.

mike7162 12-01-05 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Yep. And this episode did stink. The only time I laughed was when Don Knotts said that line about "Why can't I ever walk in on anyone having sex?"

Thanks DGibFen. I'm off to watch "Sanford and Son" with Grady and "Chico and the Man" with that annoying little hispanic kid.

calhoun07 12-01-05 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I liked trying to get Leo to remember who he sold the LP to, and the cure.

Yeah, because you never saw that coming. -rolleyes-

Just like the scene where Kitty was frustrated over the missing pictures and decided to solve her problems by drinking booze.

Ha hahhhhh hooo haaaaaaa aa...... So funny. Not. These are just examples of how the characters are becoming predictable parodies of themselves.

Fielding Mellish 12-01-05 05:02 PM

The fact that they now had to come up with a plot device which lets Debra Jo Rupp lose her "perma-press" hairdo speaks volumes. This show is being phoned in now, at every conceivable level.

And what the holy Hell is the deal with "Andy Gibb hair replacement guy"...? Topher Grace's clipped toenails have better acting range. Yecch.

conscience 12-01-05 06:28 PM

I actually watched this last night. Lost 30 minutes.

The show revolved around Eric. Every episode may not have been about him, but he was the central character that the others relied on (his basement, the Vista Cruiser (in the early seasons), his parents, etc., etc.)

Take away the heart of the show and you have nothing.

Not to mention that he was the best actor on the show and provided most of the comedy (you could just tell for some reason that he wanted out of the show by watching him last season -- he looked bored as hell). I could only take so much of Kelso's 'I'm so hot' lines and Wilmer Valderama going on and on about 'I said good day' and 'I'm so horny' deals which got old so quick.

Anybody else notice Valderama's eyes? He looks high as the sky. I think I would have to 'shoot up' to spout those lines out, too.

calhoun07 12-01-05 07:45 PM

Not that it remotely matters at this point, but how the hell is Fez still in America after all this time? He avoided deportation the first time by marrying Laurie, but now that she is in the Chuck Cunningham Zone, what is keeping his ass here?

I actually thought we would get an episode where Fez's native land family would come to America to get him to come home. Of course, now that their anchor is gone for the show, you never know, they might get around to doing this, but I expect that the writers aren't attempting to come up with any good original ideas for the rest of the season. They are trying to fit in as many circle jokes, Mrs. Foreman drinking jokes, Fez saying good day jokes, and as many Red saying dumbass jokes as they can into the remaining scripts to pad where otherwise funny content would have gone for Topher Grace.

In one afterthought, at least they didn't do something as lame for Donna's hair change as they did for Mrs. Forman's hair change.

Judremy 12-02-05 12:12 PM

I stopped this show after last season and I hated it then. I just knew it was going to continue rolling downhill. Sorry to see I was right.

On a good note, Season 3 just came out on DVD. If they had stuck to the plan and ended the show while it was still great (ala Seinfeld) they'd have ended it at 5. Instead they changed the ending of every season since 3 to keep it going. Seasons 4 & 5 were acceptable, but 6 & 7 started to get stale and now I think the cash cow is not just drained, but dead and rotting.

It's sad to see by the posts here that the writers are regressing the characters and turning them into jokes instead of how things used to be where they were getting careers and heading towards something...