DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   R.I.P Wendie Jo Sperber (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/447195-r-i-p-wendie-jo-sperber.html)

Giantrobo 11-30-05 05:11 PM

R.I.P Wendie Jo Sperber

She died in Sherman Oaks today. :(

You may remember her from "BOSOM BUDDIES" with Tom Hanks back in the 80's and that movie "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" where she played a Beatles obsessed 60's teen trying to get to a concert. Actaully, looking at IMDB I realize she was quite a few comedy classics from the 70s and 80's. Man, I've had a crush on her since the early 80's and I always thought she was funny. I just saw her on an old "Will & Grace" episode and I was wondering what she was up to these days.

OldBoy 11-30-05 05:25 PM

what happened to her? just from her name i knew who it was bc i am a freak with names. was it something to do with weight?
that is sad anyway.

calhoun07 11-30-05 05:28 PM

I just saw her in Corvette Summer this past week when I watched the DVD. I checked her IMDB page but they aren't listing her death yet.

Jadzia 11-30-05 05:30 PM

I am such a name geek I knew her name is spelled Wendie.

Very sad news. Most people probably remember her from Back to the Future. I always liked her from Bosom Buddies.

THX7966 11-30-05 05:31 PM

She was battling cancer for a while, ET did a number of stories on her. Don't know if that is what ultimately took her life.

riley_dude 11-30-05 05:44 PM

I loved Wendie. She was in Back to the Future too.

Septemberbaby 11-30-05 05:51 PM

Wow. :(
Anyone know how old she was?

Derrich 11-30-05 05:55 PM

Wait a sec, you had a crush on her?

D

bigjim25 11-30-05 06:02 PM

The woman in Moving Violations who greased up her rear end.

dvd-4-life 11-30-05 06:10 PM

pic?

Chrisedge 11-30-05 06:16 PM

I think she is 2nd from the left in this pic

http://www.chrisedge.com/junk/febre01.jpg

Andalusia 11-30-05 06:23 PM

http://www.fundraisers.com/people/pi...504/wendie.jpg

Apparently after being diagnosed with breast cancer, she founded the WeSpark Cancer Support Center.

Sad to hear about her death.

Giantrobo 11-30-05 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am such a name geek I knew her name is spelled Wendie.

Very sad news. Most people probably remember her from Back to the Future. I always liked her from Bosom Buddies.

can you correct the title for me then? Thanks.

Giantrobo 11-30-05 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Wow. :(
Anyone know how old she was?

46 or 47

Giantrobo 11-30-05 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
Wait a sec, you had a crush on her?

D

Sure do/did. Cute fat white chicks are one of my vices among many others. :lol:

Rogue588 11-30-05 06:30 PM

Another 70s/80s star I grew up with has passed.

:rip:

DRG 11-30-05 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sure do/did. Cute fat white chicks are one of my vices among many others. :lol:

I can't believe there are people on the forum that didn't know that. It's like saying "das monkey likes tv?"

Or maybe it's a sign I spend too much time in the Other (cough Adult) forum. :lol:

Jadzia 11-30-05 06:37 PM

She was also the proctologist in Bachelor Party.

I loved that scee where she was wagging her gloved finger in conversation right in the the middle of a rectal exam. :lol:

mike7162 11-30-05 08:14 PM

Hey, I had major hots for her as a teen. Cute fat chicks rule! RIP Wendie.

Doughboy 11-30-05 08:24 PM

I always did like her in Back to the Future.

R.I.P. Linda McFly

Bill Needle 11-30-05 08:32 PM

I always think of her from the great job she did in 1941.

Sernov 11-30-05 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
She was also the proctologist in Bachelor Party.

I loved that scee where she was wagging her gloved finger in conversation right in the the middle of a rectal exam. :lol:

This is where I remember her from. Always cracked up when she tries to hug Tom Hanks with those gloves on, then he says, "I gotta go get the HOOKERS"

Spiderbite 11-30-05 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mike7162
Cute fat chicks...

Isn't that a double-negative or something?

EdTheRipper 11-30-05 09:10 PM

Too bad...R.I.P.

Mr. Salty 11-30-05 10:56 PM

Here's her complete obituary, from AP:

Actress Wendie Jo Sperber of TV's 'Bosom Buddies' dies at 46

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Actress and cancer care activist Wendie Jo Sperber, who starred opposite Tom Hanks on TV's "Bosom Buddies," has died. She was 46.

Sperber died at home Tuesday after an eight-year battle with breast cancer, publicist Jo-Ann Geffen said Wednesday.

A Los Angeles native, Sperber appeared in dozens of television shows and movies, including all three "Back to the Future" films.

Sperber also had roles in Steven Spielberg's "1941," Robert Zemeckis' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," and Neal Israel's "Moving Violations" and "Bachelor Party." Her television credits include "Murphy Brown," "Private Benjamin," "Will & Grace" and "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter."

After being diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, the actress became an advocate for cancer care. In 2001, Sperber founded the weSPARK Cancer Support Center, which provides free emotional support, information and social activities for individuals and families affected by cancer.

Sperber helped unveil and promote the breast cancer stamp with the U.S. Postal Service in 1998, Geffen said. In 1999, Sperber was named Woman of the Year by the Los Angeles County Commission for Women.

"The memory of Wendie Jo is that of a walking inspiration," Hanks said in a statement. "She met the challenges of her illness with love, cheer, joy and altruism. We are going to miss her as surely as we are all better for knowing her."

Sperber is survived by a 19-year-old son and 16-year-old daughter, her parents Charlene and Burt, sisters Ellice and Michelle and brother Richard.