Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for SNL sketch (Garth Brooks, Loews movie)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a video of an SNL sketch from (I believe) a Garth Brooks-hosted episode. In it, they are in a movie theatre (Loews, to be exact) that is showing endless previews. Tracy Morgan plays a character that is always yelling "Yeah, more previews!" and "That's looked FUNNY!"

A strange request, I know.
Old 11-23-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVED that skit.

I was so disappointed when they played the repeat of that episode on Comedy Central, they edited it out that skit. It was one of those that played in the half-hour, which is usually the crap skits, but this one was great. I am always quoting it but my husband who is another fellow SNL buff has never seen it, so he has no idea what I am talking about.

It was funny because all the previews were for Shelley Long movies and they all used the James Brown "I Feel Good" song. The people were rolling their eyes at the previews, but Tracy Morgan was like "That looks funny!"

And between the previews the song, "Thank you for coming to Loews, get ready for more previews!"

And they get locked in the theater for 30 days and Tracy Morgan ends up eating his own legs.

If you find a clip, please let me know! I always consiered this to be one of the great "lost" skits of SNL that only I remembered/enjoyed. That and "Smacked by a Beaver Tail".
Old 11-23-05, 11:46 AM

Glad that someone remembers it! Every time I'm at the theater and another green preview screen comes up, I yell "Yeah, more previews!"

But I sadly haven't seen the skit since it first aired.
Old 11-23-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Shelley Long stars in..."
"I Feel good...hey!"

Glad I am not alone either!
Old 11-23-11, 09:48 AM

Re: Looking for SNL sketch (Garth Brooks, Loews movie)

I've posted the clip on Bolt not too long ago. This site won't allow me to post an URL up so just look up on Google "SNL Garth Brooks Loews" and my video will come up. It's on Bolt. It should be either the 3rd of 4th site in the search. I loved that clip too. I wish I had a better copy of it but this was taken from an old VHS copy I had.
Old 11-23-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Screw Bolt! Watch it right here...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wyQTaFdNk0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-23-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These crazy first post thread bumps...

I bet that guy who hasn't been around here since 2009 is glad you found it after six years!
Old 11-23-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can anyone find the Joe Montana roommate sketch?
Old 11-23-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

These crazy first post thread bumps...

I bet that guy who hasn't been around here since 2009 is glad you found it after six years!

Stupid bump. But I'd never seen the skit, and I enjoyed watching it! So there's that.
Old 07-04-13, 03:32 PM

Damn, I missed it! Anyone else have a working link? I'll be back in 2 years to check.
Old 07-05-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Can anyone find the Joe Montana roommate sketch?
Well, it hasn't been 2 years yet, but here ya go!

Mod note: removed non-working link as it was giving a pop-up error on the page

Last edited by Groucho; 08-01-14 at 12:47 PM. Reason: video was giving a pop-up error
Old 07-05-13, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Here's a picture:

Last edited by Groucho; 08-01-14 at 12:47 PM. Reason: removed my unnecessarily spoiler tags
Old 09-15-13, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by satchdudley
I've posted the clip on Bolt not too long ago. This site won't allow me to post an URL up so just look up on Google "SNL Garth Brooks Loews" and my video will come up. It's on Bolt. It should be either the 3rd of 4th site in the search. I loved that clip too. I wish I had a better copy of it but this was taken from an old VHS copy I had.
Dude, satchdudley, would you please, please do the internet a favor and re-upload this clip from your old VHS? It's a crime this clip isn't available for everyone to see. I've tried signing up for Bolt to see if the clip is still on there, but my membership request remains pending.
Old 09-15-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't remember if it was this episode or not, but I really liked Brooks and Ana Gasteyer doing Basted In Blood during a Thanksgiving themed Weekend Update.
Old 08-01-14, 12:35 PM

I come across this page from time to time and have missed every time the video has been posted. Would love to see the old Loew's skit again and perhaps even get to snag the video file before the video gets pulled.

I did find an old Twitter post where someone asked SNL about this skit being available online and they responded that it has gone away because of issues with using the Loew's jingle.

"Thank you for coming to Loew's. Since you've been so patient, here's 20 more minutes of previews."
Old 08-01-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Garth Brooks was a great SNL host. Maybe he'll get another one in during his new tour.
Old 08-04-14, 08:37 AM

Any chance someone with the video file would be willing to put it up on dropbox or similar? I know it's a pretty safe assumption that Youtube would pull the video if it's posted, so that's going to have a short shelf life no matter what.
Old 08-04-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Is that the one where he and his friend are crying at The Pianist?
Old 08-04-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since we'll never get a DVD release, and Yahoo! won't post it due to the Loews jingle, is this skit lost to time?
Old 08-04-14, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Is that the one where he and his friend are crying at The Pianist?
No. I don't think so. I found a transcript to the skit on another site, but it won't let me post the URL here. Here's the link if you take out the spaces.

snltranscripts. jt. org/97/97npreviews.phtml
Old 08-04-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/97/97npreviews.phtml

thanks, now I want to see it even more!
Old 08-04-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

These previews are hilarious!

I had all but forgotten why I say that to this day.
Old 09-10-14, 08:22 AM

Perhaps it's futile, but I'll bump this in the hopes that maybe someone can share it one more time before this thread starts collecting dust again. If it gets posted, I'm going to save a copy so I won't need to ask twice.
Old 09-10-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Since you bring it up, I thought I'd mention that I saw this story on Grantland during their SNL week :
Is This Thing On? The Eight Most Essential Inessential ‘SNL’ Musical Guests

6. Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines, 1999

Fifteen years ago, Garth Brooks hosted SNL for the second time, but Brooks wasn’t the musical guest. Instead, the musical guest was a fictional alt-rock superstar named Chris Gaines, played by Brooks. Strangely, Gaines was not an SNL character, but rather a construction devised by Brooks for his new album at the time, Garth Brooks in … The Life of Chris Gaines.

For some of you, this explanation will seem pedantic. If you were alive at the time, Chris Gaines is so uniquely weird and misguided that it’s permanently implanted in your memory banks, no matter your engagement with Brooks’s other work. For younger people, however, Gaines has been virtually scrubbed out of pop culture generally and SNL’s history specifically. Future generations can only engage with Gaines as a carefully elucidated abstraction, sometimes spoken about but never actually seen or heard.

On Hulu, there are zero clips of Brooks appearing as Gaines. As far as I can tell, there aren’t any clips of Brooks as Gaines on SNL anywhere on the Internet. After hours of searching, I began to wonder, Did this really happen? I suspect this confusion was entirely intentional: Both Brooks and SNL would likely prefer it if all traces of this infamous debacle were erased from their respective legacies. But, alas, it did happen, and man, it hasn’t gotten any less awkward to watch.

If I were to make a general comment about what the Chris Gaines incident signifies about SNL musically at this time, I would argue that SNL reflected the record industry’s late-period “mass” era. The performers during the 1999-2000 season were diffuse — they include Sting, DMX, Fiona Apple, Sisqó, Britney Spears, Beck, Kid Rock, ’N Sync, blink-182, and Dr. Dre packaged with Eminem and Snoop Dogg — and yet all incredibly successful. Napster was just starting to dismantle pop’s gleaming empire, but the effects weren’t discernible yet. Superstars could still allow their egos to guide them in whichever direction, assuming all the while that they would be protected commercially. Garth Brooks going on SNL as Chris Gaines in 1999 was an act of misplaced faith, like buying the mansion of your dreams with a subprime loan in 2007. What’s the worst that could happen? It’s not like the bubble was ever gonna burst.
Old 09-11-14, 08:09 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

I have the Chris Gaines album somewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.