Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why I hate live coverage of sports and awards shows

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why I hate live coverage of sports and awards shows

I know why I just hate sports (and awards shows) now. Penn and Teller are supposed to have a special on NBC right now, but is it on? NOOOOOOO. Fricking NASCAR is on though.

And that's why I hate sports and I loathe awards shows, because the people behind them are so conceited that they think THEIR crap is more important than anything else and they are given free reign to pre-empt anything they want. They can go suck themselves!

And also because they killed Futurama.
Old 11-13-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, FOX killed Futurama because they're idiots and they didn't realize until this year that they shouldn't schedule anything for the 7:00 PM Sunday slot.

The reason it pre-empts is because the contracts say so. Period. Plus do a little google search on something known as the Heidi game from 1968, and you'll see another reason why they no longer pre-empt sports for scheduled programming.
Old 11-13-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Big deal. So it comes on a few minutes late. And Wildcat is right - FOX killed Futurama - not football.
Old 11-13-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
The reason it pre-empts is because the contracts say so. Period. Plus do a little google search on something known as the Heidi game from 1968, and you'll see another reason why they no longer pre-empt sports for scheduled programming.
I'm lazy, tell me what happened.
Old 11-13-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked it up - it wasn't very interesting.
Old 11-13-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And that's why I hate sports and I loathe awards shows, because the people behind them are so conceited that they think THEIR crap is more important than anything else and they are given free reign to pre-empt anything they want. They can go suck themselves!
1. Heidi game, as previously mentioned. Just Google it, folks.

2. If you only had any idea the amount of money the networks pay for sports, and the amount they receive through advertising sold during sports timeslots.
Old 11-13-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
I'm lazy, tell me what happened.

An Oakland game, iirc, was way out of hand, so the network went to the regularly scheduled show, which happened to be Heidi. Then Oakland had one of the biggest comebacks in history, and all the fans were left watching Heidi.
Old 11-14-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sports are more important than your regularly scheduled program. Even NASCAR, and I hate NASCAR.
Old 11-14-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate 99% of TV that's not sports.
Old 11-14-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Big deal. So it comes on a few minutes late.
Instead of starting the Penn & Teller special late, they joined it "already in progress."
Old 11-14-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Instead of starting the Penn & Teller special late, they joined it "already in progress."
That's what I really hate. football networks should just shift the schedule back a few minutes, not do that "already in progress" crap, and instead cut out some commercials later to get the schedule back on track.

And never schedule any programming until 7:30 ET at the earliest during football season.
Old 11-14-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk God

As much as I like P&T, there are far more NASCAR fans than P&T fans.

I'll grant you that the "joined in progress" is a BS move. Blame the network though, not the sport.
Old 11-14-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
anyone know if the P+T show will be broadcast again, in it's entirety?
Old 11-14-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they should just change the rules of football to stop with all the clock-stopping. Why does it take an hour to play 15 minutes?
Old 11-14-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think if NBC Universal was smart they would re-show that Penn & Teller special on Bravo and/or USA Network later this week. Either that or NBC reshows the special in its entirety this coming Saturday night.
Old 11-14-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scottall
Sports are more important than your regularly scheduled program. Even NASCAR, and I hate NASCAR.
You forgot the smilie -- didn't you mean to put a smilie at the end of this statement?? You must have....
Old 11-14-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It wouldn't be sunday without a thread bitching about sports being on instead of boring ass 60min or someother network crap.
Old 11-14-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
An Oakland game, iirc, was way out of hand, so the network went to the regularly scheduled show, which happened to be Heidi. Then Oakland had one of the biggest comebacks in history, and all the fans were left watching Heidi.
I'm just surprised that the raiders game wasn't blacked out. People must have actually bought tickets to their games back then.
Old 11-14-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind sports on tv. It's the part afterward when the talking head sports dude from the news has to launch a three hour show pointing out all the intricacies of the game.

You already pre-empted all the good shows with the game, but to continue the pre-emption with the drivel sports talk afterwards is just adding insult to injury.
Old 11-14-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scottall
Old 11-14-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
The thing that bothers me is when the second game of a "double-header" has already started and they refuse to cut away from the end of a crappy first game.

Worse yet, yesterday the early game (DET-ARI) ran over a bit into the start of the GB-ATL game. No big deal, the game wasn't a blowout, so I understood. The game ended, and instead of going to the GB-ATL game which had already started, they cut to the overtime of MIN-NYG.

WTF was that about? By the time they got to the GB-ATL game, GB was ahead 7-0 and I missed it even though I have the Sunday Ticket...
Old 11-14-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bralph
The thing that bothers me is when the second game of a "double-header" has already started and they refuse to cut away from the end of a crappy first game.

Even worse is when they break away from the 1st game of DH to start the 2nd game - if a local team is involved. Not only did the DC FOX affiliate break away from the Giants game (to go to Skins/Bucs) right before they attempted the 2 point conversion to tie it, but they did it at about 4:11 to show 4 minutes of commercials. Also, the Baltimore affiliate did the same thing. I can somewhat understand the cutaway (for DC; not Baltimore), but they should at least go up to the last possible moment before actually cutting away.
Old 11-14-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
anyone know if the P+T show will be broadcast again, in it's entirety?
I should be able to find out tonight. If I do I'll post back here late tonight.

Of course, I'm sure it did air in its entirety in the Mountain and Pacific time zones since prime-time wasn't scheduled immediately after the race there.
Old 11-14-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I know why I just hate sports (and awards shows) now. Penn and Teller are supposed to have a special on NBC right now, but is it on? NOOOOOOO. Fricking NASCAR is on though.

And also because they killed Futurama.
money talks
Old 11-14-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph

Worse yet, yesterday the early game (DET-ARI) ran over a bit into the start of the GB-ATL game. No big deal, the game wasn't a blowout, so I understood. The game ended, and instead of going to the GB-ATL game which had already started, they cut to the overtime of MIN-NYG.

WTF was that about? By the time they got to the GB-ATL game, GB was ahead 7-0 and I missed it even though I have the Sunday Ticket...
But wasn't that first GB score off of the kickoff?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.