Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Colbert Report picked up through 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colbert Report picked up through 2006

Through its first two weeks, "The Colbert Report" has averaged 1.2 million viewers per night, more than double the network's average for the same two weeks last year. It's also retained better than 85 percent of the audience from its lead-in, "The Daily Show."
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7c1%7c,00.html

"It's French, bitch!"
Old 11-02-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Good to hear. It's not as funny as I thought it'd be, but it still provides enough laughs for me to record it every night.
Old 11-02-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My worry is this: the Daily Show stays funny because they always have some new News stories to make fun of; but the Colbert Report's comedy is focused on the format and mocking the personality, both of which don't really change much. I think it might get stale, unless they change things around now and then.
Old 11-03-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too impressed by this show so far.
Old 11-03-05, 01:26 AM

Saw this tonight for the first time, it was okay.
Old 11-03-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The show is amusing with two or three laugh out loud moments in each episode. I've found Colbert to be far more amusing with a straight man to play off of (the guest segments are usually my favorite parts of this show and his bits were always classic with Jon on TDS) so most of this show just falls flat when he's carrying it. The sidebar on The Word is pretty good though, the JILF joke a couple nights ago has been my favorite of the series so far.
Old 11-03-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The Word" is pretty much my favorite part of the show. But, the rest has been wildly uneven. Also, he's been at this 3 weeks now and still seems to fumble his words a lot. I hope that improves quickly.
Old 11-03-05, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on now, I want to see all 435 parts of his 435 part series on congressional districts!!
Old 11-03-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this show at first, but it's already become kind of stale -- i.e. - the bit with Colbert introducing the guest and then running over and taking the applause for himself was funny the first TWO times he did it. "The Word" is probably my favorite part also, but the O'Reilly format imitation is also growing stale. I guess I'll see what happens in the next few weeks, but I don't see myself as a long term viewer.
Old 11-03-05, 01:41 PM

I was listining to Loveline back before Adam Carolla's Too Late started, and he once said it would be like Larry King with sort of him at the helm and a panel of guest discussing...whatever. Well, that didn't happen and it's not very good. One of the things that makes The Daily show so great is that looks at the news and what politicians say (and don't say cause they are afraid) and show how logically retarded our society has become. Stewart is funny, but he also has logical, somewhat serious points.

I think either Adam or Stephan would be great if they actually did a panel format show. As people have said, the show is best when he gets to play off of someone. The Colbert Report spoofs The O'Reilly Factor...so how bout they actually spoof it! O'Reilly only spends 60 seconds on "talking points" and then the whole show is guests.