The West Wing - "The Al Smith Dinner" - 10/30

Old 10-30-05, 11:27 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The West Wing - "The Al Smith Dinner" - 10/30

"The Al Smith Dinner"
Spoiler:
When a third party raises the issue of abortion, it brings unwanted attention to both Santos' and Vinick's stance.
Old 10-31-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No comments? Guess the show has lost even more viewers in the last week. I didn't find this episode to be any worse than the rest of the season. Interesting how they brough Maloney back, though I can't say I approve. Seems like a cop out. They knew she had a fanbase and needed her back. Bringing her back in such an unusual manner seems like bad writing.

Have a questing about the Garofolo Gianelli bit. Was she being serious in the meeting. She really doesnt want Santos to have the debate because she thinks he will get creamed?

And the Vinick campaign seemed second-rate this episode. They didn't know what the hell was going on. 1st there is a neg ad about Santos which they didn't know about, then there is the Women's group coming at him and he thinks it is a Santos tactic.

I'm really anticipating the debate episode. They've always been very good episodes. Though this one should be even better as the writers are giving the opposing candidate some respect. Something that hasn't happened before. The previous ones have been "My opponent is dumb and I'm smart"
Old 10-31-05, 01:36 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Have a questing about the Garofolo Gianelli bit. Was she being serious in the meeting. She really doesnt want Santos to have the debate because she thinks he will get creamed?
She was trying to get them to look less desperate about wanting to have the debate since they need it to make up ground.

ok episode

After the story about him agreeing to appoint pro-life judges Vinnick could perform abortions himself at his next campaign stop and he still wouldn't get a pro-choice group to support him
Old 10-31-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, then I must say that her acting in that bit was very nice. Even with her telling Josh what she was going to do before hand I had thought she was serious about it.
Old 10-31-05, 02:46 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

lost my OTA HD feed after 30 mins..

frustrating, will have to tivo HD and non-hd in future/
Old 10-31-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This season is starting to look like what WW was original set up to be: the staff of the president is the focus and not the president. Martin Sheen hasn't exactly been around a lot so far.
Old 10-31-05, 10:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This espisode wasn't bad. I'm actually looking forward to the debate now.
Old 10-31-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this episode did a good job on depicting the ridiculous level of importance that is placed on abortion rights in this country, as I could fully imagine all that happening if a Democrat was running against a socially moderate Republican.
Old 10-31-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
wow. Donna looked like shit
Old 11-01-05, 01:37 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

got to see the end of it now

I'm back on board with the west wing, the 1st 3 eps, I thought lackluster but now its in full swing and I'm loving it.
Old 11-01-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only started watching West Wing this year because I'm a big Jimmy Smits fan. I'm a bigger Janeane Garofalo fan. So, when she was announced as a new cast memember, I've been watching ever since. I have no basis to judge if the writing has been bad or good, but I've enjoyed each episode.

I thought the scene with Janeane and Ron Silver was weird. It seemed like Janeane was acting as a "double agent". I guess I took it wrong.
Old 11-01-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I've only started watching West Wing this year because I'm a big Jimmy Smits fan. I'm a bigger Janeane Garofalo fan. So, when she was announced as a new cast memember, I've been watching ever since. I have no basis to judge if the writing has been bad or good, but I've enjoyed each episode.
Do yourself a favor and sample the reruns on Bravo. It's a good show now, but it used to be fantastic.
Old 11-01-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Season 1 and 2 were 2 of the best seasons of any show ever.
Old 11-01-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup. the season 1 finale/ season 2 opener was the best tv i have ever seen. i have seen it many many times and it still gets me.
Old 11-02-05, 12:04 AM

I thought it was a okay episode. It definitely got me looking foward to the live debate episode. While watching the show I was wondering what happened to Jimmy Smits promise that all ads would come directly from him. I would think the negative ads would go against his promise from the primaries.

Also it never ceases to surprise me when I hear the term "Eskimo" used by Americans. Where I am from we were taught from very early on that the term is considered offensive to most Inuit people. I was expecting Will to correct CJ since he is kind of a know-it-all and also some whose job it is to communicate without offending people.
Old 11-02-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering aloud last week whether we would get a real newsperson to moderate the live debate?

Spoiler:
Forrest Sawyer will the moderator.
Old 11-03-05, 02:54 AM

Thought it was an ok show. Dont know how well the debate will be.

But the whole 'live' concept doesnt make me any more or less interested.

The original cast had a similar themed episode, titled "Game On" that was really well done, I think from the 4th season. But since we're undecided this one will be more even-sided.

I also noticed theyre continuing this right from the summer, last season, when usually shows start where they left off, at the season premiere, then find a way to catch up with the rest of the year. But since the election has to be in November, the season is still currently taking place in the summer, since someone mentioned that Labor Day was coming up.

So the election in November (their time) would have to air around February (our time,) which is when Sheen's last shows would air.