Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/30/05 - (H) Lance Armstrong (M) Sheryl Crow

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 11:29 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
"You make me feel like Al Capone" I laughed at that.
so did Lance
Old 10-29-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Lance hasn't been that bad
he even reads the cue cards ahead of time when the other person is talking so that his reponse seems more natural
Old 10-29-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll admit it, the Carol sketch made me laugh.

Horatio Sanz is actually not a bad comic writer (he was a founding member of the Upright Citizen's Brigade). But as a comedic actor, he's pretty terrible.
Old 10-30-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Woof. The dog had fucking fleas this week. I can’t remember a more miserable episode. Lance Armstrong, as I predicted, continued the pattern of non-performers making terrible SNL hosts. He was game for it, but he just wasn’t any good at all. By the way, Chris Parnell is back.

Dick Cheney
Cheney talking about the indictment of his chief of staff, Scooter Libby, saying he wasn’t going to jump to conclusions. As he spoke, smoke poured into the room and firemen came in. Cheney didn’t move though. You see, he didn’t want to jump to the conclusion that there was a fire. No, I swear it happened that way.

Monologue
The funniest bit of the show. LA took questions from the audience, including the angry members of his biking team, miffed that they weren’t hosting as well. Some jokes about urine testing too. The black guy that’s sometimes in the audience with his white wife expressed surprise that LA didn’t receive any money from those cancer bracelets he sells. Had to make sure everyone knew that little tidbit, right Lance?

Celebrity Ironman
LA as himself cruising through the bike portion, but since he trained only on the bike, he didn’t know how to run. So, he’s running like a total spaz and everyone’s passing him including, in a funny visual, big Horatio Sanz. Looked like a technical glitch lost the background for a few seconds.

80s fire detector
Recorded ad parody about a fire detector that plays your favorite 80s songs. Parnell is the goofy guy from the compilation albums commercials and Armisen is the ultra-serious fireman that appears on fire prevention commercials in the NYC area.

The Indigo Girls
Dratch & Poehler as the ultra-feminist singing duo, singing harmony and interviewing Sheryl Crow on a mountain. LA comes on as a park ranger. Bad.

Fox News
Hammond as O’Reilly getting all his facts wrong. He interviews Armisen as Chuck Schumer and LA as a soldier in Iraq. Hammond is good as he usually is in bits like this, but that’s it.

Weekend Update
A long one, I think it went about 15 minutes. Funniest part was Dratch on as Harriet Miers complaining about being unqualified for the Supreme Court. Another good laugh was a story about a sweet smell that was all over New York City the other day, and it was blamed on a terror video received from Mrs. Butterworth. Of course, Kenan Thompson was shown in full drag claiming, “Pancakes to America!” Podsednik from the White Sox was on and talked to Fey and Poehler about how they lived in north Chicago, so they couldn’t really be Sox fans. It went on and on and if you aren’t familiar with the city of Chicago, it meant nothing. Finesse Mitchell came on in a tribute to Rosa Parks and staged a sit-in at WU because there has never been a black anchor.

Lance & Sheryl at home
Sheryl comes home from a tour and finds LA and two Mexican gardeners practicing a song that LA wrote for her. Of course the joke was the song was terrible and sung off key, but that didn’t make it funny or any less annoying.

Donald Trump
Hammond really stepping up his appearances so far this season. Trump makes an appearance on “Days of Our Lives”, and of course messes it up every time. Typical Trump skit.

Date
Horatio Sanz in a dress & wig. Horatio Sanz doing that scratchy female voice. Did you think this was any good?

Mobsters
LA tied to a chair and being interrogated by mobsters Sanz & Forte. Sanz makes the typical tough guy wisecracks and Forte shrilly laughs long and loud at each one. Finally, Sanz shoots Forte in disgust. Terrible.
Old 10-30-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Once again, Kenan Thompson gives me the only laugh of the night.
Same here. That finger-on-the-cheek look was priceless.
Old 10-30-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Goldberg74

... and for 11/12:

Spoiler:
(H) Felicity Huffman (M) Death Cab for Cutie

Shoe money tonight!

Charlie Goose

Woof. The dog had fucking fleas this week. I can’t remember a more miserable episode. Lance Armstrong, as I predicted, continued the pattern of non-performers making terrible SNL hosts. He was game for it, but he just wasn’t any good at all.
I don't see how Lance was the problem. The skits were terrible -- big surprise -- but he was more convincing and hit more of his lines than most of the recent professional performers. He was certainly miles ahead of Heder.

das
Old 10-30-05, 01:03 AM

I think I look forward to Charlie's recaps more than the actual shows these days I did laugh out loud when a few people in the audience gasped when Tina said "smoke pole" Kenan as Mrs. Butterworth was also kinda funny for two seconds. Nice to see O'Smarmy get parodied.

Lance was decent as far as "athlete hosts" go, probably better than Tom Brady last year (or whenever he was on). If I remember Jeff Gordon was a decent host a few years back. He seemed at ease and wasn't too obvious in his line readings, but then again he's done a good bit of tv stuff before.

I don't think at this point even Baldwin, Hanks, Walken, or Steve Martin could do anything to polish this turd. I'd hate for one of them to return with the shit writing they've had this season. I have a feeling I'd just end up cringing through one horribly unfunny skit after another, so I hope they stay away for now. I'm pretty sure Jason Lee will bring at least some funny on his own, so maybe we can get another out of this season.
Old 10-30-05, 01:25 AM
Banned

The best moment in the show by far was the edited together final soap segment of Trump's pathetic takes. That was classic. I laughed my ass off well into the commercial break. I guess that one had to be pre-recorded.

The fire detector parody was good too. Lance was awful. Tom Brady was much better. Much more natural.
Old 10-30-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I don't see how Lance was the problem. The skits were terrible -- big surprise -- but he was more convincing and hit more of his lines than most of the recent professional performers. He was certainly miles ahead of Heder.
Yeah, I gotta agree with this. Hell, I even chuckled during the "Ironman" skit and Lance's explanation of why he did so bad.
Old 10-30-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by cracksky
Lance was awful. Tom Brady was much better. Much more natural.
Couldn't disagree more.

A couple of bits were worth a chuckle, such as the monologue and the Trump montage, but it's clear that the quality of the material is sorely lacking. I just can't imagine these highly paid comedy folks sitting around the conference table during the week and patting themselves on the back for how funny this Indigo Girls sketch is going to be.

Also they accomplished what I had thought would be impossible. They actually made the Weekend Update segment even worse than usual -- by making it longer.

This show needs a major housecleaning. This isn't a dry spell any more, it's a drought of Terry Sweeney proportions.
Old 10-30-05, 12:31 PM

Isn't MadTV supposed to be inferior to SNL, the redheaded stepchild of late night comedy? I had a few laughs at MadTV, but nary a one for SNL last night. Tsk, tsk.
Old 10-30-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
I'd still take SNL over Mad TV even in its current state. Watching Mad TV always makes me feel unclean.
Old 10-30-05, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Couldn't disagree more.

A couple of bits were worth a chuckle, such as the monologue and the Trump montage, but it's clear that the quality of the material is sorely lacking. I just can't imagine these highly paid comedy folks sitting around the conference table during the week and patting themselves on the back for how funny this Indigo Girls sketch is going to be.

Also they accomplished what I had thought would be impossible. They actually made the Weekend Update segment even worse than usual -- by making it longer.

This show needs a major housecleaning. This isn't a dry spell any more, it's a drought of Terry Sweeney proportions.
Not exactly sure what you disagree with me about.
Old 10-30-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I passed out fell asleep about 20 mins. into the show.
SNL continues to fail to hold my interest enough to keep my awake.
Old 10-30-05, 03:04 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
"I'm gonna go push one out and smoke a joint." - Carol
Old 10-30-05, 03:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I’ll be the first to defend SNL. I think it’s a funny show that achieves what it sets out to do. It’s a show with ups and downs, but many feel like it’s this monolith they must tear down every single week regardless of actually quality and invention.

I don’t wear the rose-colored glasses like many who believe the show was better in the past. Those “classic” years had their fair share of awful sketches too.

And saying all that, I felt that the Lance Armstrong episode was an appalling piece of television. Not a laugh in sight.

Forte should be slapped and fired for that laughing mobster bit. After the cow fart scientist, I didn’t think he could sink lower. And people bitch about Sanz…
Old 10-30-05, 03:13 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
... I just figured it out, Sanz' "Carol" reminds me of Farley's 'cosmetic-infomercial chick' Lori Davis.
Old 10-30-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
11/22 is Jason Lee and the Foo Fighters.
Tuesday Night Live?
Old 10-30-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to say that the "Miers - second term abortion" line during weekend update had me howling. Can't believe that more of you didn't mention it.
Old 10-30-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I just can't imagine these highly paid comedy folks sitting around the conference table during the week and patting themselves on the back for how funny this Indigo Girls sketch is going to be.
yeah that skit was just brutaly bad. Only thing that could have saved it would have been one of the dogs attacking someone..

Sep I'll go against the grain here and say that for the show over all, my expectations was soooooooooooooooooooo low going into the ep that I thought it was ok. At least lance did not TRAIN wreck the show like most of the athlete hosts do. Nancy Carrigan being the all time worst IMO.. He even hit his marks better then Jon Heder did a few weeks back.

Show had the normal --smiles only-- level of funny that it been putting out for a while now. Stuff like "....I just trained bike bike bike...", "..so is the team hosting the show?", "Pancakes for the infidels!!" etc etc.. Nothing I really want to see again or anything that will be a classic but come on, it was still better then some of the past athlete SNL shows...

I alway have thought you need to split the show into two camps between eps with actors and eps with non-actors. Non-actors gets cut a ton of slack the same way one cuts actors slack in those cheesy pro-am golf/softball/flag football etc etc games you see on tv. So I don't really expect Jason Bateman to be able to take off and 360 dunk anymore then I expect an NBA player to be able to act all that well.
Old 10-30-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The indego girls sketch tells you everything you need to know about SNL...how out of touch with the average viewer can you get?

They need to just auction off the writing to the first viewer that can send in a funny idea, turn the show over to the comedians that are on stage at any given night at Carolines, fuck!, even take the crew from one of the Bronxnet public access comedy shows.

Where the fuck is the danger? The political sketches have become "I have an opinion to put forth, and I'll try to shoehorn some comedy around it"

Its sad.
Old 10-30-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Lance did a fine job. The Ironman skit was pretty damn funny.
Old 10-31-05, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was by far the best ep of the year...which isn't saying a lot, but it certainly wasn't bad. the Indigo Girls sketch was the bright spot imho.

"Cruising for Fresh Beav"

Ironman skit was funny....Mrs. Butterworth....quite a few good moments all in all.
Old 10-31-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Are there no more funny people anymore?
Old 10-31-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the 'Carol' and 'Trump' sketch were pretty funny. This week was ALOT better than last week, but thats still not saying much.

Even though he is a fellow Texan, I have to say, Lance sucked! so did Sheryl!

Thank God for HD DVR! I could forward through the bad parts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.