Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Masters of Horror "Incident On and Off A Mountain Road" 10/28

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-28-05, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The premiere episode airs tonight on Showtime at 10pm...repeats every Saturday and Sunday at 10pm.
Old 10-28-05, 10:13 AM

Any reviews on this?
Old 10-28-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
One or two.
Old 10-28-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Can't wait to watch. Plus The Toolbox Murders is just before it.
Old 10-28-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm excited about this one. It's even high definition 16X9 Dolby Digital 5.1 to boot.

Old 10-28-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Can't wait to watch. Plus The Toolbox Murders is just before it.
I caught The Toolbox Murders the other day. I would suggest you pass on it or you might fall asleep before Masters comes on.

Off topic but has anyone seen the original Toolbox Murders. The one showtime is showing as a remake. I threw the original in my Netflix queue but I haven't gotten it yet.

Really looking forward to Masters. Anyone watched the directors sitting around eating dinner & chatting. Pretty funny stuff.
Old 10-28-05, 11:22 PM

Joe Lansdale has the short story tonights episode was based on as the free story of the week if anyone wants to check it out.
http://joerlansdale.com/stories.shtml
Old 10-29-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i just watched this and thought it was pretty good, especially since i'm not a big horror fan. bree turner is hot.
Old 10-29-05, 03:05 PM
gamer for life

I was very disappointed in the episode. It started out ok, but just could not hold my interest for the whole hour. It also felt rushed. It almost felt like they took a 2 hour movie and cut away half of it. As a result, there was no real build up of tension that could have been in place if her struggle to get free was longer.

Spoiler:

The flashback sequence was really out of place, and took away a bit of the impact of finding the body by trying to make the audience sympathize with her because she was rapped. Would have been MUCH more chilling if she was just a killer on her own.

Over all I would give the episode 4 out of 10. I really have hopes for this series, and hope it gets better.
Old 10-29-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I was very disappointed in the episode. It started out ok, but just could not hold my interest for the whole hour. It also felt rushed. It almost felt like they took a 2 hour movie and cut away half of it. As a result, there was no real build up of tension that could have been in place if her struggle to get free was longer.
I had the opposite response. I thought things started out iffy. The whole "single girl squaring off against a psycho" has been done to death, and I was fearing the whole episode would fall into the pattern of "girl chased by killer ... flashback to survivalist training ... girl sets trap ... killer gets hurt but recovers ... girl chased by killer ..." and on and on until finally one of the traps finished off the killer. But interesting little tidbits kept being added that kept my interest, like
Spoiler:
the way the one other victim met a nasty end by mistake in one of the traps. And the capture and journey to the "lair" (admittedly highly reminiscent of "Jeepers Creepers"). The introduction of Angus Scrimm's character. And the "twist" in the flashbacks concerning the fate of her husband.
This would have been a boring 2-hour movie. The 50 minute running time is perfect -- we just lost the generic first half where a dull group of attractive young people are introduced and whittled done to the final survivor. I've seen that a million times, and I appreciate Coscarelli just trimming things down to the "good stuff". Coscarelli shows skill here, which kind of makes it seem like a waste that he spend over 20 years just making "Phantasm" sequels up until "Bubba Ho Tep". In upcoming weeks I'd like to see some stories with more depth, but it makes sense to have something relatively simple, but intense, starting off the series.

Next week is Stuart Gordon going back to Lovecraft in an adaptation of "Dreams in the Witch House". The make-up for Brown Jerkin looks pretty lame, but I'm still optimistic that Gordon will deliver the goods.
Old 10-29-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree more with brainee. I really enjoyed this ep. It wasn't the greatest or scariest horror flick I've ever seen, but it was well done throughout and kept me in suspense, wanting to see what was going to happen next.

I did think
Spoiler:
that the girl was going to turn out taking Moonface's place though. I just kept thinking, "Please drive away and don't stay here." In a way, I'm happy that she did leave, but it could have made for a more chilling ending if she decided to take over Moonface's duties.

I did keep thinking while I was watching it, "I can't believe that a major cable network is paying for this." I was especially thinking that during the part with the leg. It's great to see these great horror directors getting the chance to flex their muscles the way they want to.

Kudos to Showtime for bringing us this series. I'm sure some of the eps won't be that great, but I'm also sure that there will be some excellent films that will make up for any stinkers. I mean, come on! Do you really think with people like Miike, Hooper, Carpenter, Dante, Gordon, Landis, McNaughton and Cohen at the helm that we won't see some brilliance?
Old 10-30-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the last 2 posters. This has the makings of a great series. Hope they can keep it up.
Old 10-30-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Brainee too.

Good start to the series and that haunting sequence involving the
Spoiler:
first eyeball victim
was one of the most chilling things I've seen in awhile.
Old 10-30-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't like this episode, but I'll continue to watch the others since each one is a mini movie. The twist at the end was unexpected, though. It would have been a better suspense story along the lines of the old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" show if
Spoiler:
The person whose car she hit wasn't a monster but just a guy dumping the body of someone he killed. They could have kept it pretty much the same, with the same ending. One other thing, why would you have to use a electric drill press to poke out someone's eyes, couldn't you just use a stick? Seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 10-30-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I didn't like this episode, but I'll continue to watch the others since each one is a mini movie. The twist at the end was unexpected, though. It would have been a better suspense story along the lines of the old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" show if
Spoiler:
The person whose car she hit wasn't a monster but just a guy dumping the body of someone he killed. They could have kept it pretty much the same, with the same ending. One other thing, why would you have to use a electric drill press to poke out someone's eyes, couldn't you just use a stick? Seems like a lot of trouble.

Quartermass,
Spoiler:
Why do you think the car belonged to Moonface? He doesn't exactly seem like the go-out-and-pick-up-groceries type. I think it is more likely that the car belonged to the woman that he was dragging when our heroine first discovered him.

And I also wholeheartedly agree with Mondo Kane, that sequence was pretty shocking and unnerving.
Old 10-30-05, 04:27 PM

Watched this today and was a bit underwhelmed. The monster in the woods setup really didn't do anything for me (neither did the drill press to the eye). Oh well, here's hoping next week's installment is a better one.
Old 10-30-05, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Quartermass,
Spoiler:
Why do you think the car belonged to Moonface? He doesn't exactly seem like the go-out-and-pick-up-groceries type. I think it is more likely that the car belonged to the woman that he was dragging when our heroine first discovered him.

And I also wholeheartedly agree with Mondo Kane, that sequence was pretty shocking and unnerving.
Spoiler:
The cars belonged to the victims. Angus Scrimm explained that when he said 1 out of 10 don't make the curve and then said that moonface hid the cars a little ways away. I was just speculating that it would have been a suspenseful Hitchcockian situation if someone stumbled onto a killer dumping a victim's body, which would leave the killer no choice but to eliminate the witness. Of course if it were written that way, the would have had to eliminate the "house of horrors" angle.
Just a "what if" scenario on my part.
Old 10-31-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, Quartermass, I reread your original statement, and I don't know how I wound up where I did. I guess work is frying my mind lately.
Old 10-31-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why all the spoilers on an already aired episode?

A rather disappointing beginning to the series. This is a story we've seen a million times before.
Old 10-31-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the story. I think it's a good beginning and the best is still coming.
Old 10-31-05, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
You know, Quartermass, I reread your original statement, and I don't know how I wound up where I did. I guess work is frying my mind lately.
Of course, if they made it the way I said, it probably wouldn't have qualified as horror and wouldn't have been made. I'm still looking forward to the next one.
Old 11-01-05, 11:27 AM

all I was thinking was Coscarelli sure has a thing for big and tall antagonists

and woah Ethan Embry sure bulked up for his role - and what a scuz of a character.
Old 11-04-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kevin75
i just watched this and thought it was pretty good, especially since i'm not a big horror fan. bree turner is hot.
Agree and very much agree.

I'm kind of "eh" on the ending, though. She turned out to be pyscho, too, which made her less sympathetic, IMO.

I recognized Bruce (well, his voice), but couldn't place him. Looked him up and - whoa - Rusty Griswold raped her!
Old 11-05-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it last night for the first time. I enjoyed
Spoiler:
the twist
and thought it was well done for a quick 50 minute film. It was better than half the full-length movies I tried watching on my Halloween movie marathon. I have come to realize that making good horror films is a tougher job than most think.
Old 11-05-05, 01:39 PM

I found the 1st episode to be a snooze. Episode #2 from last night was much better....and just based on previews, next weeks looks weak.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.