DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mr. Sulu steps out of the closet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/443066-mr-sulu-steps-out-closet.html)

adamblast 10-27-05 06:15 PM

Mr. Sulu steps out of the closet

[|| Entertainment News ||
From the Advocate website...

October 27, 2005

Star Trek star George Takei comes out

Actor George Takei, best known as Mr. Sulu on the classic TV series Star Trek, comes out of the closet in the new issue of Frontiers. Or rather, as he tells editor Alexander Cho, "it's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen." In the interview, the 68-year-old actor also discusses his childhood in a Japanese-American internment camp, his 18-year relationship, his siblings' inability to accept his homosexuality, and the upcoming Los Angeles production of Equus in which he stars.
Bravo and congrats to him. I would think it's easy enough to come out after most of your career is behind you... Sort of like Richard Chamberlain... Still, it's terrific to see, since in the USA/Hollywood so far it's really only the ladies who have had the guts to come out...(Unlike in the UK, where some of the best known, respected and successful actors can be out...)

lucasorion 10-27-05 06:28 PM

I wonder what Sulu sound clip montages Stern will be playing tomorrow

Shannon Nutt 10-27-05 06:28 PM

So this is why Sulu could never steer the ship straight! :)

Seriously though, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone that's met George Takei or followed his career closely. I mean, would a straight guy be caught doing this:

http://www.barbneal.com/GRAPHICS/sulu.gif

Now if Richard Gere would only fess up. ;)

Red Dog 10-27-05 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by lucasorion
I wonder what Sulu sound clip montages Stern will be playing tomorrow

Oh myyyyy.

das Monkey 10-27-05 06:59 PM

Shannon Nutt

Seriously though, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone that's met George Takei or followed his career closely.

So true. When I read the subject, my immediate reaction was, "I knew it!" I mean, have you seen those shirts he wears?

Seriously, he's one of my favorites from the franchise. Along with De and Jimmy, he really has been good to the fans over the years, and of all the biographies floating around, I thought To the Stars was by far the most well-written and interesting.

das

Jimmy James 10-27-05 07:10 PM

For whatever reason, his appearance on 3rd Rock from the Sun just keeps popping in my head when I think about this.

I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around this. I absolutely respect his personal choice, but it makes me wonder how many other people kept quiet about this for so long. I guess I know how people felt when they found out about somebody like Rock Hudson.

Jadzia 10-27-05 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I mean, have you seen those shits he wears?

rotfl

Doc Moonlight 10-27-05 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Oh myyyyy.

...You are NOT Ricardo Montalban...
hot..wet...BITCHES!

Groucho 10-27-05 08:19 PM

I've met him. Didn't ever occur to me that he was gay. But it's not like I gave it much thought either.

RichardW 10-27-05 08:29 PM

I met him at a comic convention years ago. He was walking around drinking a glass of wine and I asked him for an autograph. Sadly, the only thing I had for him to autograph was the DC Comics Who's Who in the Star Trek Universe. :o

Quatermass 10-27-05 08:56 PM

:jawdrop:
I can't believe it! That's like saying Dr. Smith from "Lost In Space" is gay!

Count Dooku 10-27-05 10:15 PM

Like two nights ago on Adam Carolla's show when Andy Dick was guest, they included George Takei in a game of "Dead or Alive or Gay".

They proclaimed him Alive and Straight, and said they had confirmed the info with Takei's publicist.

Don Homer 10-27-05 10:18 PM

"He's gay Jim!" :)

Patman 10-27-05 10:23 PM

I have seen the shirts he wears.

Legolas 10-27-05 10:25 PM

I thought gay artists were actually... good at their craft. :)

GuessWho 10-28-05 12:18 AM

how could we not have known:

http://jc1701.com/georgetakei_x.jpg

GuessWho 10-28-05 12:24 AM

http://photos.imageevent.com/atlsf/d...the%20Joke.JPG

no comment needed

scott shelton 10-28-05 12:29 AM

I'll be the brave one and say, "I had no fucking clue."

Thrush 10-28-05 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
...You are NOT Ricardo Montalban...
hot..wet...BITCHES!

Say hello to my Papillon, Lauren Leblanca

Giantrobo 10-28-05 01:07 AM

Good for him. :up: Although to be honest I wonder who didn't know. :lol:

Giantrobo 10-28-05 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by adamblast
since in the USA/Hollywood so far it's really only the ladies who have had the guts to come out...(Unlike in the UK, where some of the best known, respected and successful actors can be out...)

I'm still not buyin' that one adamblast. Male or Female I think now in America is a great time to be out in the Biz. Can any male actor who has come out HONESTLY say it has hurt their career? Even when actors are -Rumored- to be gay most people simply don't give a shit and just want to see them do well in good movies. Gay Actors from Europe have huge fanbases here and no one cares about their being gay. Look at Ian McKellan, Rupert Everett, Alan Cummings, just to name a successful few. They all do just fine here and again, no one cares about them being Openly Gay.

I still say <b>Rob Halford of Judas Priest</b> has more guts than any Actor in Hollywood coming out because he came out in world of Heavy Metal where the Males are far less forgiving when it comes to -ANY- kind of change. But you know what? He didn't lose any fans because he's awesome and everyone knows it. We stuck by him. In fact, according to him, the real surprise was THE LACK of support form the Gay Community. He said he was expecting them to embrace him but they didn't. He says the music genre probably had a lot to do with that lack of support.

But I guess if they want to play victim, like Ellen did when she blamed Homophobia for her crap show getting canned, then I guess we wait a little longer for progress in the area of Gay issues in this country....

Aphex Twin 10-28-05 02:50 AM

Serious question: Is it national coming out week or something? Why are so many people coming out recently?

Chew 10-28-05 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I've met him. Didn't ever occur to me that he was gay. But it's not like I gave it much thought either.

Agreed on all counts. I never even gave it a thought.

reverie 10-28-05 08:33 AM

Put me in the "not at all surprised" camp. Now imagine what Star Trek would have been had he been gay in the series!

Morf 10-28-05 08:34 AM

Ok, I could have sworn that Takei came out years ago. I read the news story and was like "Yeah, and...?" I've known it for years.