DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Old Fox Sitcoms (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/442971-old-fox-sitcoms.html)

Bludvls33 10-26-05 10:20 PM

Old Fox Sitcoms

Got into a discussion on old sitcoms with a friend today, and I was talking about the early days of Fox, when they only had a handful of shows. Then I mentioned to him a few shows I remembered (late 80's/early 90's), and he had no recollection of them. Wanted to see if a few of the crew here would remember these, and what they thought of them...

Flying Blind - I liked this show a lot, thought Tea Leoni was terrific in her first major role as a lead. Plus, she wasnt hard on the eyes! Think it only lasted a season or two.
Hermans Head - Thought this had its moments as well, not a great sitcom by any means, but funny eps regardless. Dont remember how many seasons it was on.
Woops! - Now this took a while to remember the title. I do remember this show only lasted one season, if that. It may have been pulled even earlier. It w as pretty bad, but almost so bad you had to watch. Very corny, but still, I kept watching for some reason. Maybe I was just really bored and nothing else was on late at night. *shrugs*

Anyway, just a discussion starter...

MovieExchange 10-26-05 10:53 PM

Sheesh, Herman's Head actually ran 3 seasons for a total of 72 episodes. I didn't know it had been on that long. Looks like the only people from the show that are still doing anything worth a damn are Yeardly Smith and Hank Azaria, both of whom are voices on The Simpsons.

I think the show pretty much jumped the shark for me when they had 80's rock hottie Lita Ford playing Herman's love interest.

Some say that the role of Animal / Lust was written for Sam Kinison. I know that the title role in the movie Beetlejuice was, but I've never found confirmation of this one. I think that people are just mistaking it for Charlie Hoover, though. Both aired on Fox in 1991, but Hoover only lasted 7 episodes, so some people look back and think it was a pilot for Herman's Head that ended up with the actors all changing and the addition of more elements of the psyche.

I never watched the other two shows you mentioned, but epguides says that Woops had 10 aired episodes and 3 unaired, and Flying Blind went one full season of 22 eps.

resinrats 10-26-05 11:08 PM

I remember The Edge and one about a alien princess being raised on Earth. She could stop time and would take to her dad through some glowing crystal. I remember it had stock Buck Rogers footage of some space ships in the opening.

BigDan 10-26-05 11:17 PM

I believe that alien show was "Out of This World", which actually wasn't a FOX show. It was first-run syndication.. or at least it was in its first season.

gatoinfeliz 10-26-05 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigDan
I believe that alien show was "Out of This World", which actually wasn't a FOX show. It was first-run syndication.. or at least it was in its first season.

I remember that show, I actually liked it. I also remember one about this girl who was a robot in her family. I think her name was Becky. Anyone else remember this?

Cusm 10-26-05 11:38 PM

Was Flying Blind the one where Tia played a divorcee that was married to a rich guy that left her nothing and she was starting all over with nothing?

MovieExchange 10-26-05 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
I remember that show, I actually liked it. I also remember one about this girl who was a robot in her family. I think her name was Becky. Anyone else remember this?

Are you thinking of Small Wonder? 1985-1989, the robot's name was Vicki.

GuessWho 10-26-05 11:48 PM

Small Wonder was syndicated.... Fox didn't exist then

Heat 10-27-05 12:56 AM

Ah, the early days of Fox. 21 Jump Street, The Simpsons, Rosanne, Married With Children, and later Beverly Hills 90210 are what made the station what it is today.

They were willing to push the boundaries that had been established by the big three, I was glad to see them come along.

SPiRAL 10-27-05 01:29 AM

I remember, " Open House " . It was a spin-off of another Fox show, which I can't remember.

gatoinfeliz 10-27-05 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Are you thinking of Small Wonder? 1985-1989, the robot's name was Vicki.

Yes! I couldn't remember the title of this show for the longest. This show was the shit when I was little.

gatoinfeliz 10-27-05 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
Ah, the early days of Fox. 21 Jump Street, The Simpsons, Rosanne, Married With Children, and later Beverly Hills 90210 are what made the station what it is today.

They were willing to push the boundaries that had been established by the big three, I was glad to see them come along.

Let's not foget Melrose Place. 10 times better than 90210 even though both were craptastic. Oh, and Roseanne was on ABC I believe.

Count Dooku 10-27-05 01:46 AM

When The Count recalls early FOX sitcoms, he kicks it old school.

The New Adventures of Beans Baxter
with Karen Mistal as the lovely Cake
http://www.homunculus.com/profane/re...mistal0011.jpg

Count Dooku 10-27-05 02:00 AM

Parker Lewis Can't Lose

http://www.czech-tv.cz/program/porad...891/foto/3.jpg

I really wish this would show up in reruns somewhere, so I can see if the show is as creative and funny as I remember.

Count Dooku 10-27-05 02:09 AM

I remember, " Open House " . It was a spin-off of another Fox show, which I can't remember.
Duet
http://twinpeak.club.fr/BenA1.jpg http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photos/...ge-keller1.jpg

SexualPudding 10-27-05 02:43 AM

Top of the Heap, featuring a pre-Friends Matt LeBlanc and a young and hot Joey (Lauren) Adams, of Chasing Amy and Big Daddy fame. Finger Cuffs!!!

JP5683 10-27-05 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Small Wonder was syndicated.... Fox didn't exist then

Check this FAQ. Especially #7.

While Fox didn't exist as a 'network' per say then, it aired on FOX, and later episodes were produced by FOX. I used to watch it all the time on KTTV, Los Angeles.

I'd buy the DVD's in a microsecond of Small Wonder and the Edge.

Good thing I have them all on VHS.

It's crazy that The Edge is so forgotten. Great cast... Jennifer Aniston, Tom Kenny, Julie Brown, Wayne Knight to name a few...

BlackCapTen 10-27-05 04:43 AM

I remember loving the Edge, it was a fun show on Fox. Also remember liking the Ben Stiller show.

I do recall that show "Out of this World" because I used to think the alien chick was cute. I don't remember if it was syndicated or not, but I remember it being on at 7:30pm one night a week, when one of the networks (possibly NBC, and maybe just in my local area at the time, NYC) started their prime time lineup at 7:30 instead of 8.

maxpower 10-27-05 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL

If memory serves also had Ellen D. as the feisty receptionist. Well, not so much feisty as doing her Ellen standup. I liked it. :blush:

Palaver 10-27-05 07:27 AM

One of personal favorites would have to be "Get a Life" with Chris Elliot as a 30 year old paperboy.

GuessWho 10-27-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
Ah, the early days of Fox.... Rosanne

'Roseanne' was an ABC show

fuzzbox 10-27-05 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Was Flying Blind the one where Tia played a divorcee that was married to a rich guy that left her nothing and she was starting all over with nothing?

You're thinking of "The Naked Truth", Téa's second show. I don't think it was on FOX either. I have it around on Video somewhere...

I have some tapes of FOX from the early days and it's crazy some of the shows they ran- "Whoops!" is one that I fondly remember :-P

And that one with Fisher Stevens and Jennifer Tilly.. :drool:

-jason

Geofferson 10-27-05 08:27 AM

Danger Theater with Diedrich Bader, Robert Vaughn and Adam West.

amped 10-27-05 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Top of the Heap, featuring a pre-Friends Matt LeBlanc and a young and hot Joey (Lauren) Adams, of Chasing Amy and Big Daddy fame. Finger Cuffs!!!

I remember that show, it was a spin off of Married with Children. I also remember a Married with Children episode that I guess was supposed to be another spin off in which it had two rebelling college radio djs, Steve Rhoades was the dean and Bud was one of the students. I guess that pilot didn't do too well.

Was Harry and the Hendersons a Fox show?

ChrisHicks 10-27-05 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
And that one with Fisher Stevens and Jennifer Tilly.. :drool:

-jason

Key West. I loved that show.