DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The West Wing - "Here Today" - 10/23 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/442530-west-wing-here-today-10-23-a.html)

MrX 10-23-05 03:00 PM

The West Wing - "Here Today" - 10/23

"Here Today"
Spoiler:
Babish's questioning of Toby convinces him that he should retain counsel; Josh must make tough decisions as he tries to bolster the Santos campaign.

kevin75 10-23-05 10:06 PM

wow. i am not quite sure what i think of how they handled this. initially, i am very sad to see the situation resolved this way.
Spoiler:
the final scene between bartlet and toby was awkward but i guess it makes sense. i don't know that i agree with what bartlet said though. it's sad to see such a great character take the exit
thanks a lot nbc. :mad:

MrX 10-23-05 11:17 PM

It looks like Will and the first ladies turn to show up

Did Bartlett say "I don't want you to think I'm one of them"? Phone rang and I couldn't hear it clearly. That was cold, but can't blame him.

I did like the scene with the Bartlett's walking to the residence and with Ellie and the fruit-fly guy.

The campaign stuff was pretty pointless unless it's just a way for them to bring in a bigger name or have the Nick guy leak something about Santos.

Looks like next week is just a setup for the <strike>ratings stunt</strike> live debate

Daniel-A 10-24-05 12:04 AM

I didn't like Ellie's hair. She was much prettier with the dark hair.

the big train 10-24-05 01:26 AM

I was intially surprised by the president's beat down on Toby but, considering their history, it was inevitable that it would end this way. Toby has always been the self-righteous ideologue in the West Wing and constantly criticized Bartlet's positions and actions. Undercutting his authority was the last straw.

Great episode. Painful, but great. And the meeting with Ellie's fiancee was hilarious.

Chew 10-24-05 06:05 AM

I forgot all about Joshua Malina. :lol:

Bandoman 10-24-05 09:37 AM

I like how the Bartlett's expressed their relief that Ellie isn't gay. :lol:

kevin75 10-24-05 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by the big train
I was intially surprised by the president's beat down on Toby but, considering their history, it was inevitable that it would end this way. Toby has always been the self-righteous ideologue in the West Wing and constantly criticized Bartlet's positions and actions. Undercutting his authority was the last straw.

yeah, but even though they have disagreed in the past, bartlet has always been very loyal to his staffers and toby was the first one except for leo. it would've been nice to have a bit more explanation as to why he did it. even though he is an ideologue, it really isn't like toby to divulge classified material because he thought it shouldn't be secret. there should be a better explanation.

dgmayor 10-24-05 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I didn't like Ellie's hair. She was much prettier with the dark hair.

She had dark hair? I don't remember that. The other two daughters (Zoey and Liz) were brunettes, but I seem to remember Eliie always had blonde hair. Unless of course I'm just thinking of Nina Siemaszko's roles in other shows ;).

Chew 10-24-05 11:31 AM

The camera-work in this episode took me out of the story quite a lot: focusing in on a reflection, showing the security camera rather than the actual conversation, staying on the profile of one person when two people are talking, etc.

Anybody else find this a little jarring?

das Monkey 10-24-05 11:36 AM

Chew

The camera-work in this episode took me out of the story quite a lot: focusing in on a reflection, showing the security camera rather than the actual conversation, staying on the profile of one person when two people are talking, etc.

Anybody else find this a little jarring?

This was a great example of direction killing the drama. The performances were perfect, and the script was pretty good, but the overall production was full of itself and borderline annoying. I liked the opening scene with Toby and CJ not speaking, but they only needed one or two clever scenes like that. Having 10 of them was just obnoxious.

das

Daniel-A 10-24-05 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
She had dark hair? I don't remember that. The other two daughters (Zoey and Liz) were brunettes, but I seem to remember Eliie always had blonde hair. Unless of course I'm just thinking of Nina Siemaszko's roles in other shows ;).

In her first episode. Think it was actually called "Ellie". The episode where they watch the movie in the end and the cheezo Bartlet line, "The only thing you need to do to make me happy, is to come home at the end of the day." I believe she was brunette in that episode. And I prefered it.

And yeah, it was pretty funny seeing the bit between the first parents about Ellie being straight. :lol:

I was actually surprised to see Mrs. Bartlet back since she has a new show this season.

Legolas 10-24-05 01:08 PM

At least they were willing to make the leak a regular and not Joe Extra.

Red Dog 10-24-05 03:49 PM

Meh. Still don't care about the leak. Best part of the episode was the wedding plan discussion.

Kal-El 10-24-05 04:18 PM

I didn't like how the writers ignored the fact that Mike, the Associate Counsel was already on a first-name basis with Toby in "Privateers" (S4?) and made it seem like it was the first time he'd met "Mr. Ziegler".

Ellie looked like she did when she was Charlie McCall's nanny in Sports Night.

Count Dooku 10-24-05 04:44 PM

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/justbe...maszko_001.jpg or http://www.fansofgreenwood.com/Sleep...y/hutch017.jpg

Daniel-A 10-24-05 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El

Holy crap. I didn't even recognize her from that and I have all the seasons of WW and SN on DVD.

kevin75 10-24-05 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El

hell yeah. :drool::drool:

Spicollidriver1 10-24-05 10:31 PM

Ok am I the only one that thinks this is very transparent that Toby is not the leak and he is falling on his sword for someone else (I won't mention who but I think it's obvious)

the big train 10-24-05 10:48 PM

Probably. Once Toby found out that Leo had been served, he knew the Democratic ticket was screwed. Soldier for the party that he is, he took the hit he was eventually going to take anyway in order to save the Santos campaign.

kevin75 10-24-05 10:51 PM

like i said earlier, there's gotta be more to the story than the lame explanatioin that toby gave last night.

Daniel-A 10-24-05 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Ok am I the only one that thinks this is very transparent that Toby is not the leak and he is falling on his sword for someone else (I won't mention who but I think it's obvious)

Spoiler:
At the end it looked like he fell on the sword for CJ.

But really I don't care. From the very first episode of the season we know he ends up alright. I'm happy to just watch and find out how it happens.

Spicollidriver1 10-25-05 12:41 AM

This episode explains why Will Bailey was there in the first episode

Daniel-A 10-25-05 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
This episode explains why Will Bailey was there in the first episode

I don't think it was really an issue. He was a part of the Bartlet administration. I believe the only reason people had issue with him was because the lack of some others, but we know the reason they weren't there was scheduling/no longer on the cast.

MvRojo 10-25-05 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Spoiler:
At the end it looked like he fell on the sword for CJ.

Spoiler:
I don't think he was covering for CJ. He wouldn't have gone to her and said that it was him.