Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/22/05 - (H) Catherine Zeta Jones (M) Franz Ferdinand

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaza
Yeah, Lance Armstrong will have to be great, and I'm not a Sheryl Crow fan (overrated one hit wonder in my book).
She might be overrated but she's far from a one hit wonder.
Old 10-24-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Well, the butt cancer commercial was just bad...risky and NOT funny.

If they are going to take risks like that (being edgy), they should at least make it funny.

They needed more than just saying "pooper" with a straight face. Who has been writing this show? A 12 yr old?
I agree, I thought it was unfunny and offensive.

I was being facetious about next week as I doubt they would make such a dumb unfunny joke with an actual cancer survivor as host.

Maybe I would have not been offended had it been funny, as I usually laugh at risky-type jokes, but I thought the whole "butt cancer" thing was in such bad taste. I don't know anyone with "butt cancer", but a close friend's mother is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. I highly doubt they would make jokes about "tit cancer".
Old 10-24-05, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I agree, I thought it was unfunny and offensive.

I was being facetious about next week as I doubt they would make such a dumb unfunny joke with an actual cancer survivor as host.

Maybe I would have not been offended had it been funny, as I usually laugh at risky-type jokes, but I thought the whole "butt cancer" thing was in such bad taste. I don't know anyone with "butt cancer", but a close friend's mother is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. I highly doubt they would make jokes about "tit cancer".
Yeah, I agree...When they said butt cancer, my initial reaction was to think of colon cancer.

I dont get offended easily and was not then (though I did cringe a bit), but I can see how some people would find it insensitive.

But, like you said, it just plain wasn't funny. So, in that regard, I was offended.
Old 10-24-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Of course not, because SNL's new slogan is GIRL POWER!...and its killing the show.
Old 10-24-05, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Of course not, because SNL's new slogan is GIRL POWER!...and its killing the show.
I kind of agree EXCEPT, I think a big problem that they have had recently is not having Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph. They are both funny (Though Tina mailed it in this weekend).
Old 10-24-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Might want to ditch that 8-track player of yours.
I'm 21 years old and I've never heard of them... they appear to be a "rock group," although that doesn't mean much by today's standards... oh well.
Old 10-24-05, 03:48 PM
Political Exile

The dance skit was the funniest bit they have had this year, especially if you are an old fart like me who grew very tired of the "All That Jazz Syndrome" during its heyday. The Cancer bit was stupid and offensive not cutting edge just juvenile and insensitive. They need to get a few good skits written for the men. Im tired of seeing Amy for 60 minutes every show.I've been watching this show since it started and every few years it does SUCK. But they do turn things around....... at least so far. Thank god for Hammond he makes it bearable . I heard one of the new guys is good at impressions also . Maybe we can get some good Watergate type stuff later this year after the CIA leakers get prosecuted. The Lewinski scandal era had some dam good shows too. White House corruption brings out the best of SNL skits, all we can do is hope.
Old 10-24-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That Butt Cancer commercial was a new low. I'll laugh at anything if it's funny but they must have snatched the script of that sketch from the bookbag of a sixth grader.
Ughhh!
Loved the Fosse sketch, because I love Fosse!
Old 10-25-05, 12:46 AM

I forgot to post earlier -- but I finally got around to standing in line to get standby tickets (at 7am) and actually made it into the dress rehearsal.

It actually seemed like the skits were much funnier in person, but when I went home to watch the actual airing, nothing at all seemed funny.

In any case, the rehearsal lasted about 2 hours -- they had about 3 or 4 extra sketches that didn't air. I guess they also use the rehearsal to figure out which lame skits to throw out.

Missing sketches included:

CZJ as a dentist for Horatio -- she keeps on coming on to him, but he wants nothing to do with it (yeah right). He finally gets up from the dentist chair, leaves, and comes back 2 seconds later, says he changed his mind and starts unbuckling his belt.

Dratch (i think) as Hilary Clinton and a few others as Howard Dean and other "prominent Democrats" dining in a restaurant talking about some politics (with one slightly funny part where Dean stands up and starts another similar "YEAH!"-crazy-man speech). Later on, Al Gore and John Kerry find out about this "secret" meeting, shows up at the restaurant, and everyone ends up finding a reason to leave.

Outsider's Insider club -- three goofy/awkward high school kids airing a public-access type TV show -- one of the three is a 20-something year old Junior (he used to be a Senior). The host's older brother and his friend come in during the taping and razz him a bit. Later, CZJ arrives as the mother in a hot little tennis outfit (with skirt) and long orange-ish hair. She ends up flirting a bit with the 20-something year old and leaves.

BTW, in the rehearsal, CZJ wore a French cap, along with the stereotypical french outfit -- guess they thought that looked too dumb for a teacher.

Interesting to finally see the show in person -- Although the show was dumb as usual, it was nice to see CZJ in the flesh!
Old 10-25-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darq
I guess they also use the rehearsal to figure out which lame skits to throw out.
They got rid of the lame ones?
Old 10-26-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Darq
Dratch (i think) as Hilary Clinton and a few others as Howard Dean and other "prominent Democrats" dining in a restaurant talking about some politics (with one slightly funny part where Dean stands up and starts another similar "YEAH!"-crazy-man speech). Later on, Al Gore and John Kerry find out about this "secret" meeting, shows up at the restaurant, and everyone ends up finding a reason to leave.
This skit sounds better than most of the ones that made it on the air.
Old 10-27-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone...Catherine Zeta Jones can SING!!