DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ABC is messing with time again: Commander in Chief/Boston Legal (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/441973-abc-messing-time-again-commander-chief-boston-legal.html)

Jadzia 10-18-05 04:56 PM

ABC is messing with time again: Commander in Chief/Boston Legal

Check your DVRs:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/li...=20051018abc01
Commander in Chief - 61 minutes

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/li...=20051018abc02
Boston Legal - 59 minutes

kvrdave 10-18-05 05:00 PM

thanks for the heads up.

Denny Crane!

resinrats 10-18-05 05:06 PM

I wonder why they do this? Its not like someone is now going to stay on ABC and miss some other show over 1 minute. Besides, the last 1 minute is ususally commercials/credits anyways. If they want to make people decide to miss another show since missing the beginning, make Commander in Chief/Boston Legal 1 hr 20min.

Jadzia 10-18-05 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
I wonder why they do this? Its not like someone is now going to stay on ABC and miss some other show over 1 minute. Besides, the last 1 minute is ususally commercials/credits anyways. If they want to make people decide to miss another show since missing the beginning, make Commander in Chief/Boston Legal 1 hr 20min.

My only guess is that CIC is getting higher ratings than BL, so therefore they can charge more for the ads that are in that "minute". It must add up to significant money for them to do it, but it really is only for two commercials.

lisadoris 10-18-05 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought we were going to be free of this nonsense this season.

Septemberbaby 10-18-05 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Check your DVRs:

I just checked mine and found that Boston Legal was removed. It said that it was no longer in the guide. Next week too. So I checked the guide and it was there for 10:01. Tivo didn't pick up the new time. I would have been TICKED if I missed it.

Decker 10-18-05 07:54 PM

My only guess is that CIC is getting higher ratings than BL, so therefore they can charge more for the ads that are in that "minute". It must add up to significant money for them to do it, but it really is only for two commercials.

One other thing (that's kinda mean) is that by doing this with scheduling, one can't TIVO the next hour's program on another channel(example, since Desperate Housewives runs from 9:00 to 10:01, you can't record CYE at 10:00 on HBO unless you have one with two tuners due to the one-minute conflict).
But you are also right about advertising rates (much higher for Lost and DH than the programs that follow them).

Anyway, it really sucks.

Septemberbaby 10-18-05 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
One other thing (that's kinda mean) is that by doing this with scheduling, one can't TIVO the next hour's program on another channel(example, since Desperate Housewives runs from 9:00 to 10:01, you can't record CYE at 10:00 on HBO unless you have one with two tuners due to the one-minute conflict)

I have a Tivo with two tuners and it canceled tonight and next weeks BL.
There were no conflicts. It's the only thing that I record the entire night.
I'm just happy I double checked.

pilot 10-18-05 11:10 PM

darn my replaytv didn't know it was a extra minute :( ...stupid ABC...

THX7966 10-19-05 12:20 AM

You have to watch for five minutes for the network to get credit for that quarter hour. It's just a strategy to bridge viewers into the next show, hoping they won't turn away after missing the first minute of another show.

Decker 10-19-05 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I have a Tivo with two tuners and it canceled tonight and next weeks BL.
There were no conflicts. It's the only thing that I record the entire night.
I'm just happy I double checked.

Well my Comcast DVR had no problem with it at all.

SMB-IL 10-19-05 01:27 PM

Although you have to check it every week, what I do is set a manual recording for five past the hour to start 4 minutes early for a 10:01 show. It's a pain, but at least you can see a different channel if you want -- damn networks! :mad:

Hubcap 10-19-05 05:40 PM

boston legal was a pretty good episode. Loved the end. When Denny walked in as paul revere and shot the ceiling.

sherm42 10-19-05 05:53 PM

Don't know why it did it, but my Tivo dropped it from my To Do list at some point close to the recording. My history says that it was removed from the program guide and I did not end up recording Boston Legal.

dadaluholla 10-19-05 09:52 PM

Yeah my Tivo didn't tape it either. I was really pissed. Same thing about it being removed from program guide. Although when i checked my to-do list, the ep for next week is set to record at 10:01.

Jadzia 10-19-05 10:52 PM

Mine wasn't going to record it either until I checked it and manually added it to "record this episode also".

What I *think* happened was that the guide dropped the 10:00 Boston Legal and then added the episode for 10:01, but since the change occurred late in the day my DirecTivo had not re-indexed and added the new showing to the To-Do list.

The funny thing is that I initially did not think I would have a problem since I record both shows and have dual tuners. Glad I followed the advice in my own thread and checked. :lol:

This only happened on 1 of my D*Tivos: the other two recorded it but had the old time so they never got the scheduling update.